Author Topic: Enhancement Requests  (Read 237613 times)

neilld

Re: Enhancement Requests
« Reply #360 on: November 03, 2017, 12:13:38 pm »
Do you have a feeling for the magnitude of cost to implement ADS-B out?

I'd be impressed of anyone got an approved ADS-B out box to market for under £250K, at the very least.

That would indeed be a large spend and probably well beyond the scope of any UK based venture capital or crowdfunding scheme which makes it all the more remarkable what uAvionix have achieved in the last three years with a wide range of products including some for a UK market that doesn't theoretically exist yet. 
I guess the Californian entrepreneurial mentality has something going for it.
None of this takes away from the heroic efforts of Lee and the team to bring PAW to market in record time at affordable cost.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #361 on: November 04, 2017, 10:31:03 pm »
I guess the Californian entrepreneurial mentality has something going for it.

That, and a captive market of tens of thousands of people for whom ADS-B is becoming compulsory. Note the difference in price in the US market and the UK market, where in the UK market it's voluntary...  ::) ($1300 vs £600)

I expect if Lee and the chaps could be guaranteed to sell 40,000 at $1300 a piece, it would be worth their while. But then when the price gets up past £600 a piece, you might as well leave it to your competitor who's already made the R&D costs back in their native market and concentrate on your own proprietary low cost solution. You're far more likely to get voluntary take up at £200 than $1300.

Winged_Jaguar

« Reply #362 on: March 25, 2018, 12:54:20 pm »
Hi Lee

Small request re Radar view. I run my PAW as a ground station when not flying with it. At the moment the rose on the radar view is based on GPS heading but with a static ground station this results in a largely random heading being displayed depending on the GPS output. Would it be possible to have an optional feature to allow one to set the rose heading to a fixed bearing in degrees. This would enable one to enter 0/360 for a 'north up' view or any other bearing that might say be the direction one was seated at looking at the screen so one could quickly ascertain a planes position from the ground observers view. When flying the GPS view would no doubt be preferable for many people.

Many thanks.
Chris
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 12:59:11 pm by Winged_Jaguar »

Admin

« Reply #363 on: April 03, 2018, 09:30:09 am »
I bet you're all laughing your socks off, and I wouldn't blame you, thanks again,

Actually, no.

Lee is it possible to have a "You are running the latest software version" message?
Ian

Burbank

« Reply #364 on: May 18, 2018, 02:58:53 pm »
Just wondered if the Rosetta is using the Raspberry Pi 3?  If so, any chance we can use a bluetooth GPS (like a Garmin GLO) so we dont need a wired connection to PAW??

exfirepro

« Reply #365 on: May 18, 2018, 04:17:19 pm »
Hi Burbank,

The new ‘Rosetta’ is based on the Raspberry Pi3B (n.b. NOT the new Pi3B+) and now uses the inbuilt WiFi. The Bluetooth option is not used in the current setup. Rosetta already contains its own dedicated internal GPS, which we find extremely reliable, so I can’t see why we would want to introduce the complexity of an external GPS source. I certainly know of no plans to include Bluetooth GPS connectivity at present, though as always, Lee considers all options as part of our ongoing development.

Best Regards

Peter
PilotAware Engineering

PaulSS

« Reply #366 on: May 18, 2018, 11:26:01 pm »
I certainly know of no plans to include Bluetooth GPS connectivity at present

That's a shame; I was wondering if BT could be used for audio out  :(

Ian Melville

« Reply #367 on: May 19, 2018, 06:52:57 am »
Paul, you could always put it forward as an enhancement request?

The Pi3B+ draws more power, so those running off a battery may not wish to upgrade to this model anyway.

Admin

« Reply #368 on: May 19, 2018, 12:19:40 pm »
I certainly know of no plans to include Bluetooth GPS connectivity at present

That's a shame; I was wondering if BT could be used for audio out  :(

Yes I think this will be a good future enhancement
Thx
Lee

PaulSS

« Reply #369 on: May 19, 2018, 03:03:50 pm »
Paul, you could always put it forward as an enhancement request?

:) Well, seeing as we're in the right place (Enhancement Requests thread) can we have Bluetooth audio please  :)

Chris Parsons

« Reply #370 on: June 05, 2018, 09:31:48 am »
Yes, I would second the request for bluetooth audio...you can get a tiny bluetooth dongle and I wouldn't think it would be too difficult
to route the audio out via bluetooth using something like this perhaps?

https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/novatech-micro-100m-usb-bluetooth-adapter/bt-usb-m2.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI97OR54282wIVU5nVCh1QaQXpEAQYASABEgJsSPD_BwE#utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products

Regards

Chris

Chris Parsons

« Reply #371 on: June 05, 2018, 09:55:52 am »
Searching around a bit I found an old thread...

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,780.msg9421.html#msg9421

I have a Bose A20 headset so I have ordered one of the transmitters from here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163048079117

For a tenner delivered it's got to be worth a try?

Chris

Ian Melville

« Reply #372 on: June 05, 2018, 10:10:07 am »
Make sure your A20 is one withe the BT symbol on the conrol unit, not a phone handset.  Those with a phone handsetvwill only connect to phones and the upgrade is expensive.

PaulSS

« Reply #373 on: June 05, 2018, 10:11:25 am »
Hi Chris,

The BT transmitters will certainly do the job of piping audio from the PAW 3.5mm jack to a BT headset and if you're 'normal', as opposed to me, then it's a great solution. I've got one and they work  :)

My problem is that I will be mounting my PAW behind the panel and it will be less accessible than normal. I will have my PAW powered from a Charge4 USB charger and have the spare port to ensure the BT transmitter is charged but the problem comes after a flight. When the aircraft battery switch is turned off and I walk away from the aircraft then the BT transmitter will still be plugged in to the PAW and the battery will wear down as it has not been specifically switched off. Fast forward a few days and I'll switch everything back on, the USB charger will provide power to the BT transmitter BUT I will actually have to turn it on again........cue clambering beneath the panel which I hope to avoid with a different audio solution.

If I could wire the BT transmitter permanently on then it wouldn't be a problem as it would only work when it's plugged into the USB charger and that would be fine with me. I've had a look at the little box and it's sealed up rather well  :(

If it didn't need switching on again once the battery has worn down then all would be good, but this is not the case.

The BT dongle you linked to earlier would do the job IF PAW audio could be piped through a USB port. Yes, it would mean the loss of a USB port but I could live with that  :)

If that doesn't work then I'm more than happy to buy a Pi 3 with built in WIFI and BT and hopefully get PAW audio through the Pi.

Ian Melville

« Reply #374 on: June 23, 2018, 06:11:38 am »
Is it possible to increase the number of devices that can connect simultainiously? Now we are using Pi3B, it should be able to handle the load of an extra device or two?