Author Topic: Help! ID address takes me to wrong config page - SOLVED!  (Read 9570 times)

Keithvinning

Re: Help! ID address takes me to wrong config page
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 03:56:23 pm »
Hi Ian

We are about to complete a paper on installation including antennas.

Until then PilotAWare Classic will work on the coaming so long as the two aerials and the GPS can see clear sky.

This is how I have used it on my sportscruiser

However make sure that where you position it doesn't get too hot as some of the windscreens act like lenses.

If you do a more permanent installation then you must ensure that it is approved for your type of aircraft particularly if you drill holes this will need approval.

Keith

ian_h

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 08:22:21 pm »
Great thanks

I was just wondering whether rear parcel shelf would work but that I suspect that is shielded upwards by metallic wing tanks and downwards by metal covering panels

PS Fantastic achievement to get this all together at this price point with such great functionality - well done everyone involved !!

Keithvinning

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 09:20:18 pm »
I was just wondering whether rear parcel shelf would work but that I suspect that is shielded upwards by metallic wing tanks and downwards by metal covering panels

Quite so and forwards by two bags of water (you and your passenger, I'm not being rude its just thats how physics see you as far as radio wave propagation is concerned) and a solid lump of engine in front of that . Although the rear parcel shelf  looks like a good place logistically its probably the worst place as far as the radio is concerned. Best thing to think about is water and metal bad, a good view of the outside good.

Keith

exfirepro

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2016, 12:34:52 am »
Hi Keith,

Alan and I did some 'Bridge' testing today. A nice change from testing Mode S. Results were very favourable, though even with years of fiddling with aerials as a 'Radio Ham' - I was surprised how significant aerial placement can be on this frequency and how easily signal can be attenuated by pilots/aircraft bodywork/engines. We got good cover in our initial test to well over 5+miles ( which I would consider a perfectly reasonable range for P3i detection) with no loss of signal (in my case using a FLARM dipole inside my flexwing pod). Unfortunately weather/ time precluded further testing.

Supplementary note to avoid confusion to other readers - I am NOT trying to imply that this is P3i's maximum useable range, simply the maximum distance apart we got during our short test flight with 'test' aerials. As I say, weather precluded further flying and I have no reason to doubt previously reported results. In any case even as a worst case scenario for plane to plane detection, 5 miles is further away than most of us can see a light aircraft in anything less than perfect conditions.

Regards

Peter

p.s. congrats on the RAeC Award!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 11:11:49 am by exfirepro »