Author Topic: Help! ID address takes me to wrong config page - SOLVED!  (Read 9571 times)

ian_h

Help! ID address takes me to wrong config page - SOLVED!
« on: May 17, 2016, 12:50:04 pm »
Hi
Very excited to get my new unit today.
Followed instructions ok to assemble and get the 1 year licence key.
When I entered the IP address 192.168.1.1 to get to the configuration page to update the licence code it takes me to the configuration page for my TP link Powerline extender instead. Tried on several different devices with the same effect.
Is there another route to the configuration page or how can I fix?
Thanks
Ian
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:53:07 am by Admin »

Keithvinning

Re: Help! ID address takes me to wrong config page
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 12:54:23 pm »
Hi Ian
Are you logged onto the pilot aware hotspot when putting in the ip address 192.168.1.1?

Keith

Keithvinning

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 12:58:35 pm »
By this I mean logged onto pilotAware wifi hotspot from your tablet

ian_h

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 01:10:37 pm »
Nope - just followed instructions to go to Wi-Fi config page to get MAC address. Does not mention to log in and was nervous to do so before updating licence. If I log in to Wi Fi hotspot first all works fine so thanks very much for that. May be worth quick clarification of install instructions to tell peeps to log in first for the hard of thinking like me.

One other quick question - I use Sky Demon on an ipad without internal GPS and previously had to use a blue tooth connection to a GNS 5870 MFI external GPS antennae from which I find the location data link to the I-pad  is frequently dropped /lost.

Can I now use the internal pilot aware GPS through the wi fi hotspot to feed sky demon location data and do away with the other GNS device?

Many thanks

Ian
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 01:17:02 pm by ian_h »

Admin

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 01:18:23 pm »
Hi Ian,

May be worth quick clarification of install instructions to tell peeps to log in first for the hard of thinking like me.
Yes, I think clarification needed

One other quick question - I use Sky Demon on an ipad without internal GPS and previously had to use a blue tooth connection to a GNS 5870 MFI external GPS antennae from which I find the location data link to the I-pad  is frequently dropped /lost.

Can I now use the internal pilot aware GPS through the wi fi hotspot to feed sky demon location data and do away with the other GNS device?
Yes PilotAware will provide its own GPS feed

Thx
Lee

Keithvinning

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 01:20:31 pm »

One other quick question - I use Sky Demon on an ipad without internal GPS and previously had to use a blue tooth connection to a GNS 5870 MFI external GPS antennae from which I find the location data ink to the I-pad  is frequently dropped /lost.

Yes thats the great thing about PilotAware Classic you can now use a cheaper iPad without an internal GPS as the one that comes with the PilotAware Classic does all the GPS work.

To set up SkyDemon please see section 13 of the Software Installation document on this forum

Keith

ian_h

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 01:36:05 pm »
Hi
Two other ideas on install notes.

Let people know if they have a support question they can only post it on General section of forum took me a while to work this out.

Supply a URL link to the forum / chapter on individual device installs as you have kindly done for me in this post.

Brill stuff just providing feedback to hopefully make life easier for everyone going forwards!

Many thanks

Ian

ian_h

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 01:56:14 pm »
Hi
So licence all set up and Software installed Unit plug into power source and next to ipad.
Followed chapter on how to use Sky Demon via Flarm with 6000 code but I get an error message:

'Failed to establish a connection with Butterfly Connect unit.'

Tried turning ipad on and off.
Tried turning location services on and off (assume this does not need to be on when using Flarm?)
but no joy. Suggestions please?
Thanks
Ian

Admin

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 02:00:15 pm »
Hi Ian

So firstly, please confirm, in all cases from your iPad

1. You can connect to the PilotAware hotspot

2. Run Safari and go to http://192.168.1.1
are there any issues reported on any interfaces ?
if you are unsure, please take a screenshot and post here.

3. Running Skydemon whilst connected to Hotspot PilotAware-xxxxxxxxxxxx

Thx
Lee

ian_h

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 02:04:01 pm »
Ok my mistake - had dropped wi-fi hot spot whilst taking it outside.
May be worth documenting that error message means dropped wi-fi.

All now working great and picking up circuit traffic from Redhill 10 miles away !!

One last question (for now anyway) - charging time and approximate usage time for internal battery?

I am off flying, whilst of course keeping a darn good lookout with Mark one eye ball!!!

gvpsj

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 02:14:58 pm »
Sometimes one feels a bit of a clot! I now know it's no use doing everything on my desktop......................when I use a tablet! ;)

Admin

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 02:17:31 pm »
Hi Ian,

One last question (for now anyway) - charging time and approximate usage time for internal battery?

This time you do have the better of me, are you referring to PilotAware ?
If so this requires USB power, either from a PowerPack or from a (good quality) 12v USB adapter

Thx
Lee

ian_h

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 02:24:06 pm »
ok no worries - I wrongly assumed the unit had an internal rechargeable battery like the GNS blue tooth aerial which charges up from the USB power source.

I guess with the GPS receiver and PAW receiver / transmitter there's an awful lot going on to be supported by an internal battery

Admin

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 02:27:29 pm »
Hi Ian,

We tend to use a lot of PowerPacks and USB Adapters, in the case of the PowerPacks we get around 5 hrs of usage.
There are few reports on the forum where pilots have used different power solutions, might be worth a look around.
Just remember, you really want to go for one that will provide 2.0A for a good margin.

ian_h

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 02:33:03 pm »
ok last last question ....
Where's best to look for advice on optimal orientation / placement of the two aerials?
First use will be in a Piper tri pacer
Ian