Author Topic: Results and setups  (Read 19080 times)

JCurtis

Re: Results and setups
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 06:33:21 pm »
Doesn't the pinout mean that a standard 3.5mm stereo jack will work, albeit that it shorts the video to ground when doing so?

Should be fine, I assume Lee outputs both L&R channels, in which case a mono plug could be used as most intercoms etc. are mono?
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

thearb

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 07:53:03 am »
was running a pilotaware to Caunton and back yesterday from Long Marston. It was great to be able to watch a Sikorsky G-MCGJ converging on me from my 2 o'clock from about 10 miles out and 700' feet above me just south of Loughborough. Both of us were under a service from East Midlands and got a convergence warning from ATC just before I saw him coming out of the gloom. Very relieved to see him passing behind me rather than in front!

dougblair

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2016, 08:54:03 pm »
Buying the commercial lead and chopping it up to work out the connections is a great idea. Trying to solder up the 4 ring jacks is horrible.

Robski

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2016, 06:56:24 am »
Buying the commercial lead and chopping it up to work out the connections is a great idea. Trying to solder up the 4 ring jacks is horrible.
Agreed!
Even a 'personal stereo' 3 ring is fiddly.
Rob
If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.

Moffrestorer

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2016, 08:49:48 am »
Hi Doug/Robski,

I bought a commercial 4 pole "TRRS" cable to cut down, as Peter suggested in previous post, but ended up NOT using it. As Paul and Jeremy pointed out a standard 3 pole "stereo" plug will fit into the Pi audio socket and connect with the L and R audio channels, which is all that is needed.

I guess you will have completed your "audio" installation by now, but this post is intended to help others;

You can purchase 3.5 mm  3 pole "stereo" cable sockets from Maplins cheaply, (most towns have a branch, usually situated next door to Halfords). It is easy to solder a cable to it and heat shrink over the cable and connector body to insulate and ruggedise your work.

NB. This socket had two other advantages, it comes with a nut, so it can also be used as a bulkhead connector for fitting to a panel, and the insertion/ pull-out force is high for a plugged in cable, just what you want for an "in-line" connection if this will be a feature of your set-up. I would use this socket over their "open frame" bulkhead socket, any day!

Rather than purchase standard jack to jack audio cables, I bought the "SLIM 3.5mm" variety, via eBay. These are much neater, and will fit into iPad or phone headphone sockets with no problems. They are also much cheaper than Maplin, who only supply the big body jacks on their made up cables.

Regards,

Chris