Author Topic: Standalone system and software availability  (Read 4454 times)

Standalone system and software availability
« on: September 07, 2015, 03:46:47 pm »
Hi Guys,

I'm interested in building a PilotAware that's completely standalone for pilots like me that don't use moving maps and prefer to minimize the displays in their cockpit.  So I'm thinking of attaching GPS directly to the Pi, and using audio output to the intercom instead of a display, possibly with some LEDs as well.  I'd probably also want to integrate it with my Trig transponder for ADSB-OUT, though I guess this wouldn't be legal right now?

I notice that the software is closed source right now, while the hardware is open.  Are there any plans to make the software open-source in the future, or are you keeping your powder dry so you can recoup some of the investment you've made?

I've got quite a lot of OSS development experience (I've been one of the core developers of FlightGear for 10 years), and have done quite a bit of Linux and network programming over the years, so I'd like to have the opportunity to mess around with the software myself.

Stuart Buchanan

Admin

Re: Standalone system and software availability
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 07:17:06 pm »
Hi Stuart

My intention for the time being is to keep the software closed source as you indicate.
Having said that I am welcome enhancement requests and there is a thread here

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,4.0.html

In fact I would say that at the moment Android is clearly the next requirement, and closely
following that is an audio output.

I have also had requests for something like an LED warning, even for those with a moving map
display, so that it draws the pilots attention to take a look at the display to see why the warning
is being generated

so please post on the enhancement list, its in everyones interest.

Thx
Lee