Author Topic: 20160307 Questions  (Read 3297 times)

Kevin W

20160307 Questions
« on: April 10, 2016, 04:19:32 pm »
Hi

A few questions if I may re the latest version -

Does it still enable and use the ARF?  Whilst you are working hard on 'The Bridge' it would be nice to still be able to use the existing ARF's to see friends on an up coming trip.

Does the latest version have any of the 'bearing-less targets' functionality in?  I was flying with a friend today and could see them highlighted in Red or Amber at the top of  the 'non positional' targets list, but no info on SD that I saw.

How does the Group-ID and Flight-ID setting work, it isn't covered in the manual yet (that I could see), but sounds very useful for a group of aircraft flying together as I often do.

How do we know if a license key has been input correctly - I can't see any change if I put it in incorrectly?

Thanks very much in advance
Kev
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 04:37:23 pm by Kevin W »

Admin

Re: 20160307 Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 05:24:18 pm »
Hi Kev,

Does it still enable and use the ARF?  Whilst you are working hard on 'The Bridge' it would be nice to still be able to use the existing ARF's to see friends on an up coming trip.
I am afraid not, the detection switch between the ARF and the new Bridge was proving too tricky so any code related to the ARF is removed, sorry for that, but it was just a maintenance headache and for no good long term reason

Does the latest version have any of the 'bearing-less targets' functionality in?  I was flying with a friend today and could see them highlighted in Red or Amber at the top of  the 'non positional' targets list, but no info on SD that I saw.
There is some code in there for the bearingless targets, but we have been a little concerned about the additional loading on the CPU.
We have noticed the load average creeping up quite a bit - so this is not fully enabled, we need to do more testing and performance analysis/tuning in order to make sure this does not cause a problem. In fact the performance issue is not due to this feature alone, it is actually due to a number of new features which are in the development pipeline (we are busy on all fronts!)

How does the Group-ID and Flight-ID setting work, it isn't covered in the manual yet (that I could see), but sounds very useful for a group of aircraft flying together as I often do.
The FlightID setting will be the text associated with your plane on others displays, so for instance if your reg was G-KEVW (that would be nice), it would appear as
G-KEVW
if you set a GroupID to eg 'FRANCE1', then anyone else with the same GroupID will see your text as
#G-KEVW#
so basically, members of the same group have their FlightID enclosed in #, easier to spot your buddies on a day out hopefully.

How do we know if a license key has been input correctly - I can't see any change if I put it in incorrectly?
The PilotAware Home page will say either 'Expired' or give a date, eg
Code: [Select]
PilotAware Version(20160410) License Expires(20160801)
Thx
Lee

Admin

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 06:00:04 pm »
Hi Kev

When is your trip ?
I am sure we could help out with some new bridges.

Thx
Lee

Kevin W

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 07:07:06 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply Lee.

The FlightID setting will be the text associated with your plane on others displays, so for instance if your reg was G-KEVW (that would be nice), it would appear as G-KEVW
Ahh, of course, the flight id sent over P3I for other PAW's to display.

if you set a GroupID to eg 'FRANCE1', then anyone else with the same GroupID will see your text as
#G-KEVW#
so basically, members of the same group have their FlightID enclosed in #, easier to spot your buddies on a day out hopefully.
That's great, look forward to testing that, although going to have to be inventive to reduce the chances of other groups picking the same GroupID :)

Cheers
Kev