Author Topic: Is LPAT actually available?  (Read 3012 times)

Robski

Is LPAT actually available?
« on: February 18, 2016, 01:58:23 pm »
I know this is probably not the best place to ask, but I also know how well informed the readership here is so I'll take a punt.

LPAT : Low Powered ADS-B Transceiver.
This has allegedly been developed by NATS.
As I understand things it is basically the ADS-B out bit of a mode S transponder, and the ADS-B in bit of a PAW.
All the in/out goodness of ADS-B without all the power hungry mode S stuff that makes a mode S transponder a non-starter for gliders and a lot of microlights, permit, vintage and SSDR aircraft.

Has anybody actually produced the LPAT for sale in the UK?
I know the FAA in the US are mandating ADS-B from 2020 using such devices, but their implementation has some differences from our situation, like weather broadcasts etc.

From a purely logical point of view (leaving out the CAA, NATS, OFCOM and all that) aren't both PAW's P3i side, and FLARM just trying to fill a niche that ADS-B / LPAT should be filling?

This is not a rant against PAW - far from it! Conceivably LPAT would be complimentary to PAW, or even integrated with it.
I accept that "we are where we are". I'm just waiting on the new P3i shield for my PAW!
Rob
If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.

AlanB

Re: Is LPAT actually available?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 05:21:58 pm »
Rob,

I have be been working with the NATS and AOPA and I can confirm the the NATS LPAT is currently not in production. The devices currently under trial are demonstration kit.

Kind Regards

Alan
Europa XS Mode-S ADS-B out enabled.

SteveHutt

Re: Is LPAT actually available?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 06:03:57 pm »
Rob,

Yep, as Alan says, it is just demonstration kit at the moment. I too have flown once with it. I wrote up a short article about the flight here: http://fasvig.org/fasvig-flies-with-lpat

The "In" side of the device is pretty much a Funke TM250.

Steve
Steve Hutt