Author Topic: Only airline traffic in pilotaware  (Read 8483 times)

Sören

Only airline traffic in pilotaware
« on: September 03, 2015, 10:49:10 am »
Hey guys,

I have pilotaware still working. But I can only see airline (big) traffic in skydemon. Small airplanes with mode S transponder are not shown on the map. Did I make something wrong? Can I fix that peoblem?

Kindly regards
Sören

BobD

Re: Only airline traffic in pilotaware
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 11:06:30 am »
Hi Soren,

As I understand it (and hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong), whilst some Mode S Transponders have the ability to output ADS-B information, they do not do so unless they are linked to a GPS device. This appears to be the case in my aircraft, so you will only see mainly commercial aircraft, and other PilotAware equipped aircraft, which is why we want to get as many GA Aircraft as possible to join in this initiative, and hopefully get FLARM to decrypt their output, so they also can be seen - please see this post:

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,18.msg274.html#msg274

BobD

Admin

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 11:39:31 am »
Hi All

So to clarify here, PilotAware can detect ADS-B and P3I.
To detect ADS-B, the transponder must have a GPS source fitted in order to supply this data
P3I is Transmitted / Received by PilotAware.

There are 2 further possibilities
Transponder Mode C, Flarm

Transponder Mode C only transmits altitude, so the question is, what can be usefully displayed ?
Are you interested in traffic at the same altitude as yourself +/-500ft, which could be anywhere within 1-100nm away, this tends to generate a lot of false positives

Flarm, well what can I say - they continue to use their klingon cloaking device,
henceforth known as the
Flarmgon Cloaking Device

Thx
Lee

Andy Fell

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 08:59:50 pm »
If you have a mode S transponder and are keen to be spotted by pilotaware and other ADS-B in equipped aircraft, why not join in the NATS ADS-B trial?

They are currently running a trial to see if ADS-B out can be used successfully and safely with uncertified GPSs.  It is currently running probably into the end of next year..  I hope that afterwards there should be enough evidence to suggest we could keep using it (or at least quickly formulate something with the CAA to make it happen).

You need to get a minor mod sign off with the LAA/BMAA but it is a trivial implementation - just the addition of two wires between your GPS and your transponder.

Happy to assist if anyone wants further explanation of what to do.  Mine is running, the www.flightradar24.com network tracks me very accurately when I have my transponder on an transmitting ADSB out (as well as any pilotaware user who can pick up my transmissions).

It can only be a good thing in my view,  the more we assist in helping each other see where we all are, the better for safety and less likely to experience fatal mid air collisions or airprox.

Rgds
Andy
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 09:06:12 pm by Wobblewing »

Moffrestorer

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 01:45:46 pm »
Hi Andy,

I was keen to take part in the NATS trial and emailed the project lead guy, as soon as the first article appeared in th LAA mag. I heard nothing and assumed it was by "invitation only". I read on the LAA forum yesterday that the trial finished last week, at end August! (Presume I got this right).

However, I use EasyVFR on an IPad Mini and realised that I would need some kind of interface box to be able to connect this to the Becker Mode S in the aircraft. I started a thread on EVFR forum and that's as far as it got until reading about Pilotaware in the latest LAA mag.

Reds,

Chris

Andy Fell

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 01:50:41 pm »
I think the NATS guys have made a bit of a pigs ear of organising this.  No wonder people don't know what's going on.  I had a similar issue but kept pushing it.. they need volunteers!

There were loads of delays , as there usually are.  As they worked through it and they got clearance with the CAA... then got the LAA/BMAA to sort out the minor mod process, it was pretty much June by then.  I only got mine finally approved at the end of June.

Since then, they have told me they're extending it until August 2016.  So if you still want to do it, I'd suggest you email gps.trial@nats.co.uk and poke them.

If you have a Garmin style GPS these have the RS232 output which interfaces directly to your transponder... maybe time to dust it off :-)  I'm using a GPS 96C.

The way I see it is that if everyone who has mode S is also using ADS-B out (+pilotaware box), while the folks who cannot install a transponder have a pilotaware, then between us we're covered - everyone can track everyone else.

NATS have openly said that they do not use ADSB out for traffic management (at least at GA/sport flying level).. I'm not sure what their longer term view/goal is.. I suspect they don't want to rely on uncertified GPS data for traffic management, so they'd ignore us anyway... this is more for helping out GA/sport flying.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 01:56:22 pm by Wobblewing »

Moffrestorer

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 08:30:44 pm »
Thanks Andy,

I've emailed NATS to enquire. I also pointed out that their blog is somewhat out of date and the trial seems poorly publicised. There's not much about it on the LAA web-site either.

I agree with your assessment regarding use of ADS-B out +Pilotaware box(s), provided the transponder can be made to also transmit altitude data based on the GPS geoid, the same as the P3I set-up, so there is a common reference (see altitude accuracy thread).

Rgds,

Chris