Author Topic: Question prompted by LAA Mag article  (Read 4851 times)

Robski

Question prompted by LAA Mag article
« on: September 03, 2015, 10:59:40 am »
Firstly, thanks for the work you are putting into this, Lee. I'm interested in building a PilotAware as my next project.

I am uncertain as to where PilotAware gets its current position GPS co-ordinates from.
For iThings mention is made of Garmin external GPS receivers, but what if one is using an iThing with internal GPS, or better yet, an Android tablet with internal GPS? (I'm specifically thinking of a Nexus 7 with SkyDemon here).

Sorry if this seems obvious - I may be just being dense!
Rob
If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.

Admin

Re: Question prompted by LAA Mag article
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 01:43:03 pm »
Hi Rob,

Current Situation:
PilotAware is given its GPS location from the Host device, ie iOS or (to be) Android

There is a small app which runs on the host which shares the GPS, this is called CollisionAware, and can be found on iTunes
PocketFMS/EasyVFR have now built this GPS sharing capability into their product (to be released) which means, for EasyVFR
it will provide PilotAware with the GPS info it requires

The source origin of the GPS co-ordinates is down to the Host Operating System itself. The Host has an API called Location
Services, which has GPS info lat/long/alt/track/speed. This can be derived from either
- internal GPS
- external GPS (vi BT)

So PilotAware is out of the control loop here really, it just takes what it is given, the selection of that data source is in the OS
itself

ok, Future (Possible) Situation:
PilotAware could have its own GPS source, and then the info could go the other way, ie PilotAware gives the GPS info
back to the NAV software running on the host.
There have been requests for this for support of things such as XCsoar/Kobo Mini for paragliders.
This is a future enhancement that could be made.

Thx
Lee

Robski

Re: Question prompted by LAA Mag article
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 02:30:45 pm »
I understand now.

Thanks, Lee.
Rob
If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.