Author Topic: SD Formating  (Read 3654 times)

drvale

• Now 50 hrs with PAW from Scotland to Senegal
    • View Profile
SD Formating
« on: December 16, 2015, 05:36:11 pm »
I am one of those people who has ditched Microsoft for Apple. Raspberry Pi SD cards can be formatted using iOS Disk Utility and selecting MSDOS FAT for use on general run of the mill Raspberry Pi stuff. Does anyone know if this is OK for PAW or have I got to find a Windows PC and do the formatting through the Formatter program.
David Vale, G-OCAD

Admin

Re: SD Formating
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 05:39:41 pm »
If you can format the micro SD card for a raspberry pi, that is perfectly sufficient
thx
Lee

JCurtis

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 07:38:34 pm »
I am one of those people who has ditched Microsoft for Apple. Raspberry Pi SD cards can be formatted using iOS Disk Utility and selecting MSDOS FAT for use on general run of the mill Raspberry Pi stuff. Does anyone know if this is OK for PAW or have I got to find a Windows PC and do the formatting through the Formatter program.

You can download a free SD formatter from the SD Association, Windows and Mac versions are available.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

drvale

• Now 50 hrs with PAW from Scotland to Senegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 11:02:44 am »
For the avoidance of doubt just compared the two types i.e. Mac Disk Utility and iOS formatter program.
on Ctrl I both formats came up with MS-DOS (FAT32)  and 7.96Gb free. So I would guess either method will do. Thanks for advice.
David Vale, G-OCAD

ianfallon

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 12:48:22 pm »
The Mac Disk Utility works fine yes, just make sure you delete ALL the partitions and create 1 full sized partition on your card.
New cards will just have 1 partition anyway, but ones used for Raspberry Pi / PAW before will have a number of partitions.
Delete them and replace with 1 newly formatted partition all each time you upgrade the PAW software.

I guess it would be good if I added a step-by-step guide to this in the software guide for Mac users.