Author Topic: Broadcasting the wrong position!!!  (Read 5677 times)

SteveHutt

Broadcasting the wrong position!!!
« on: December 10, 2015, 05:07:10 pm »
Just an aside, but shows software coding/system design errors can affect even the big guys.......

Take note though that some airspace in the world is already in principle restricted to aircraft with ADS-B Out!!!!!

Source: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/two-atc-agencies-blacklist-787-over-position-data-419916/

Two ATC agencies 'blacklist' 787 over position-data flaw

Most of the Boeing 787s delivered to date contain a software defect that, in at least five identified aircraft, have erroneously reported their location to controllers, prompting two air traffic management agencies to put the Dreamliner on a “blacklist” for certain services.

Although it denies the software defect creates a safety hazard, Boeing says a service bulletin with instructions for operators to correct the position reporting error will be released “imminently”.

The retrofits are expected to be installed across the fleet through 2016, but Boeing has no control over if or when an operator chooses to implement a voluntary service bulletin, the company says. New 787s delivered from Boeing’s assembly lines are already equipped with software that corrects the original defect.

The issue came to light last December at an ICAO working group focused on automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast (ADS-B) transponders.

ICAO has since chronicled the problem in a series of reports from last February to late November, which are posted online but have so far been unreported.

The 787 software problem drove Canada’s air traffic control organisation Nav Canada last year to “blacklist” all 71 787s that were then using the country’s airspace. The blacklisting means the 787s are not allowed to use reduced separation procedures offered to other aircraft equipped with ADS-B.

Airservices Australia considered a similar limitation for the 787 fleet last year because of the same software problem, but the consequences would have been more severe. Unlike Canada, Australia mandates that all aircraft above 29,000ft must have ADS-B transponders.

A blacklisted aircraft would be treated the same as one that is not equipped with ADS-B, forcing 787 operators such as Jetstar to remain below 29,000ft while in Australian airspace.

Ultimately, Airservices Australia decided to accept the “risk” of allowing 787s to operate in ADS-B-mandated airspace with standard separation distances, ICAO’s reports show. Airservices Australia also notified controllers about the existence of the software problem.

Finally, the agency blacklisted the 787 on surface management systems at three airports – Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney. But the airport restriction was only intended to raise awareness about the issue, as other airport position monitoring systems can pinpoint the 787’s location on the surface.

Nav Canada first detected a problem on 1 July 2014 when controllers noticed a 787 appearing to deviate up to 38nm (70km) from its planned track. The controllers alerted the crew by radio, but the pilots insisted their instruments showed they were still on course. Suddenly, however, the 787 “was observed jumping back to the flight plan route” on the controller’s screens, according to ICAO documents.

Around four months later, Airservices Australia noticed a similar problem when a Jetstar 787 appeared to deviate “significantly” off-track, then suddenly “jump” back to the planned route on a controller’s screen, the ICAO documents say.

Both agencies launched separate investigations before discovering they had witnessed the same problem while attending a December 2014 meeting of the ICAO ADS-B working group. They would later learn the same problem had been recorded in other airspace jurisdictions, including in Singapore.

At that point, Boeing was contacted to join the investigation. The company eventually traced the root cause back to the 787’s packet-based data transfer system, which was passing the aircraft’s position information from the integrated surveillance system to the ADS-B transponder, according to ICAO documents.

In rare cases, after passing a planned turn upon crossing a waypoint, the data packets that arrived at the transponder would contain either the aircraft’s latitude or longitude, but not both. In those cases, the ADS-B transponder’s software would extrapolate the 787’s position based on the previous flight track before it made a planned turn at a waypoint. It would continue reporting the aircraft erroneously on the incorrect track until it received a data packet containing both the latitude and the longitude of the aircraft.

“It is important to understand that this is not a safety concern,” Boeing says. “Existing systems such as radar provide the necessary positional data to [air traffic control] that allow the continued safe operation of the fleet.”

Airservices Australia reported to ICAO in November that it could still consider imposing a blacklist label on the 787, meaning the agency could restrict the aircraft to operate below 29,000ft. Airservices Australia said it would base its decision on how quickly 787 operators to implement Boeing’s service bulletin to retrofit the in-service fleet.

Boeing says the software update will "restore full ADS-B functionality". In the meantime, it says, the fleet "continues to operate safely with standard separations”.
Steve Hutt

SteveHutt

Re: Broadcasting the wrong position!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 05:48:50 pm »
p.s. I posted the above as, although clearly not identical, it is analogous to the sort of errors that I believe the Funke TRT800 ADS-B-capable transponders with firmware below v5.3 can exhibit.
Steve Hutt

Moffrestorer

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 09:36:08 pm »
I wonder what their transponder SDA is set to.. must be at least 2 or 3, for the airspace they fly in.

ianfallon

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 09:56:55 am »
p.s. I posted the above as, although clearly not identical, it is analogous to the sort of errors that I believe the Funke TRT800 ADS-B-capable transponders with firmware below v5.3 can exhibit.

You've seen evidence of positional errors rather than lack of SIL/SDA ? I've not seen that in my (limited) testing. I would think it would the GPS source rather than the transponder which will just parrot out the NMEA message coords surely ?

SteveHutt

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 11:01:43 am »
Hi Ian,
That was the point about the Boeing 787 post. There the GPS was working just fine. The error was introduced by the way the transponder used the data.

No I have not personally seen evidence but I was told by NATS that they had detected some instances in their uncert ADS-B trial where the position data broadcast was incorrect (e.g. East rather than West, South rather than North) and had fed that back to the transponder manufacturer. And the man from Funke, he say they had to fix errors such as that in their transponder software, hence why v5.3 is required.

Regards,
Steve
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 11:12:19 am by SteveHutt »
Steve Hutt

ianfallon

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 11:09:26 am »
That really is pretty poor when it just needs to to forward the GPS info.
And we get the privilege of having to pay to have it fixed although I think ours is too old to upgrade anyway.
It's a technology shambles  :( >:(

JCurtis

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 11:25:57 am »
That really is pretty poor when it just needs to to forward the GPS info.
And we get the privilege of having to pay to have it fixed although I think ours is too old to upgrade anyway.
It's a technology shambles  :( >:(

It isn't quite as simple as forwarding the GPS info, the NEMA string gives the Lat Long in one format but it has to be mangled to go out in ADS-B format.  In ADS-B the position is split over two packets and uses Compact Position Reporting (CPR).  The document below explains it, starting on page 6.  It is there to save a few bits of data, critical at the time it was developed.  It even matters if it is an even or odd packet pair.

http://www.eurocontrol.int/eec/gallery/content/public/document/eec/report/1995/002_Aircraft_Position_Report_using_DGPS_Mode-S.pdf

Round my way (Cambridge) it's always fun plotting positions as the meridian passes through this area, so people often get their East/West muddled.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

ianfallon

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 11:28:09 am »
I still maintain it's not rocket science to get right   >:(