Author Topic: Traffic depicted as North up on Skydemon  (Read 5875 times)

Ray McKeown

Traffic depicted as North up on Skydemon
« on: December 07, 2015, 06:19:27 pm »
Yesterday myself and a friend decided to test 2 ADS-B only PAW units, one in each of our aircraft. Both aircraft use FUNKE TRT800 (v5.2)  Xpdrs.
We picked each other up (one aircraft with using an iPhone 6, the other with an iPad2)  but the aircraft icon displayed  on our  respective SKYDEMONs showed as north up. As we flew  south this  showed each aircraft flying backwards ;D.  Locations and relative heights were spot on so is it possible that the velocity was not being transmitted via ADS-B?  Didn't get a chance to press on the icon to see more details (quite difficult to do in flight).  Could this be a problem with the Xpdr output?    Nearby commercial traffic icons seemed to be displaying correct bearing as evidenced by the direction of their aircraft icon.   Any ideas welcome please? 

Thanks Ray 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:32:27 pm by Raymac »

Admin

Re: Traffic depicted as North up on Skydemon
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 06:27:50 pm »
This is very interesting (but probably wrong!) ,
Steve Hutt posted this, and it seems to describe what you are saying.

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,213.msg3947.html#msg3947

Sorry chaps, seems like you need a firmware upgrade

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 06:30:50 pm by Admin »

SteveHutt

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 06:33:24 pm »
Don't know for sure, Ray,

Funke have stated that v5.3 software is minimum release on their TRT800A and TRT800H for ADS-B Out with an uncertified GPS position source.

See here: http://docs.fasvig.info/ADS-B/Funke_TRT800A-H_Connection_uncertified_GPS.pdf

I was advised that there were some issue with the code and use of uncertified GPS prior to v5.3 so I would not be surprised if this behaviour went away once you move to v5.3 or later.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 07:00:23 pm by SteveHutt »
Steve Hutt

Ray McKeown

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 09:17:29 pm »
Thanks Steve....... I'll enquire as to what the process/cost is  for an upgrade to V5.3.   For info, the FUNKE is receiving the  GPS info from a KMD150  at 4800 baud.  There is also a TRUTRAK AP listening on the same output from the GPS.

Regards, Ray   

SteveHutt

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 11:10:17 pm »
Ray,
When you speak to Funke could you explain to them the behaviour you have experienced and ask if it is something they have seen before and fixed in v5.3?
It would be helpful if you could get confirmation and report back.
Thanks,
Steve
Steve Hutt

Ray McKeown

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 08:21:03 am »
Wilco Steve

Ray McKeown

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 11:41:51 am »
Just received a response  from FUNKE.  They have chosen to ignore the specific issue  regarding north up ( I did another test flight and confirmed no velocity information was being broadcast i.e. no bearing or speed)  and  referred  to their already published note regarding the requirement for V5.3 for bug free broadcasts using an uncertified GPS source.  Steve Hutt has aready posted a link to that but for convenience I attach the FUNKE note here.  The only other further bit of information was that for those whose transponder hardware will not support v5.3   (which includes me  :-\),  they are planning to release an upgrade for v5.2 in mid 2016.

The full text  of the response from Frau Spengler follows:

Dear Mr. McKeown,

I´m sorry about the delay!

Attached please find some information regarding ADS-B.

f.u.n.k.e AVIONICS began ADS-B support in SW V4.8 but SW V5.3 is the first version that properly supports ADS-B with uncertified GPS and with no bugs in the GPS position data processing (see attached information sheet). For transponders that can not be upgraded to SW V5.3 a SW update for SW V5.2 is planned to be available by mid 2016.

I need the serial number at first to be able to say something about repair time and price.

Thank you very much!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards

----------------------------------------------------------------

Tanja Spengler

Buchhaltung / Einkauf / Auftragsabwicklung / Reparaturabwicklung
Accounting / Purchasing / Order Processing / Repair Processing

f.u.n.k.e. AVIONICS GmbH

Heinz-Strachowitz-Str. 4, D-86807 Buchloe / Germany

Phone: +49-8241-800 66-45

Fax:     +49-8241-800 66-99

Email:   tanja.spengler@funkeavionics.de

Internet: www.funkeavionics.de

-----------------------------------------------------------------

SteveHutt

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 12:20:58 pm »
Thanks Ray,

That felt a bit weird reading what Funke had sent you. I found myself reading some of my own words!!! This text:
"f.u.n.k.e. AVIONICS began ADS-B support in SW V4.8 but SW V5.3 is the first version that properly supports ADS-B with uncertified GPS and with no bugs in the GPS position data processing"
is adapted from an email I sent them where I wrote:
"My understanding was that Funke began ADS-B support in v4.8 software but v5.3 is the first version that properly supports ADS-B with uncertified GPS and with no bugs in the GPS position data processing."

It does mean their Tech Support folks have now been briefed as I requested on the uncert GPS v5.3 requirement, which is good.

And at least they are formulating a plan for the non-v5.3-upgradable models. Shame they did not say what capabilities that v5.2 upgrade would offer and what it would not.

Steve
Steve Hutt