Author Topic: Pi Zero and PilotAware  (Read 9595 times)

GarethHorne

Pi Zero and PilotAware
« on: November 26, 2015, 07:14:14 pm »
Probably off topic for most people but I thought I'd post this in case it is of interest to some. I picked up one of the new Pi Zero's today, it's basically a stripped down version of the original Pi1, 512MB RAM, 1GHz Broadcom BCM2835 processor, 40 pin GPIO Header, micro USB for power and data etc.

Anyhow I thought I'd give it a try with PilotAware, got enough leads to get it hooked up to everything except a monitor (which isn't usually needed). Initially took the MicroSD card out of one of my working PilotAware units (the second one I put together, based on my original 256MB Pi1, no ARF. Wifi, GPS Dongle and DVB all on a powered USB hub). Unfortunately on applying power there was no sign of the PilotAware hotspot appearing, the only sign of life was the flashing power LED (7 short flashes, then 1 long, then repeats).

Next I tried a clean install with a freshly partitioned and formatted card, installation files copied on to it as usual, put it in the Pi Zero, applied power and left it to do its thing, partition the card, and install the operating system. After 90 minutes there's still no sign of the PilotAware hotspot appearing (usually takes 15 mins or so with the cards I'm using), still getting the same flashing power LED (7 short 1 long, then repeats). When I power down and remove the MicroSD card it still shows 1 big FAT32 partition in GParted, rather than the numerous partitions of a successful PilotAware installation.

A bit of googling seems to indicate that folk using Raspbian have similar issues using old installations, the official Pi Raspbian NOOBS was updated a couple of days ago (to support the new hardware?) so I'm guessing this must be a similar situation. Until my Mini HDMI adapter arrives it's difficult to progress any further, I know the Pi Zero is not on the list of supported hardware, but given its very small form factor, low price, Pi1 architecture and low power consumption (160mA quoted) I'd be interested in anyones suggestions on anything else to try to get it working.

trapdoor

Re: Pi Zero and PilotAware
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 07:25:28 pm »
They missed a trick with this one by not putting the USB out on standard 4-pin PCB headers, adapted by cables. Going to need a micro hub to run the USB devices as far as I can see...

GarethHorne

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 08:02:09 pm »
Yes, it does need a USB hub unfortunately, the USB socket is between PP22 and PP23, don't think I'd fancy trying to solder directly onto it.

ianfallon

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 08:02:59 am »
I'd imagine it's not working for the similar reasons to the Pi2 - drivers and therefore wouldn't work until Lee explicitly put work in for it.

But PilotAware is USB heavy so not sure it's well suited to the task.

Admin

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 05:33:20 pm »
This looks really interesting,
I would like to know what happens once you get a monitor attached and is reported by the installation / boot

Thx
Lee

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 11:06:49 pm »
I was saying to Dave earlier today, the new mini Pi might be useful for creating an PAW for drones.

PaulB

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 01:48:48 pm »
I was saying to Dave earlier today, the new mini Pi might be useful for creating an PAW for drones.

Is there a business opportunity there?  Licensing agreement?

DaveStyles

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 12:42:02 am »
We need the thumbs up smiley on here too!

This is definitely on the roadmap, need to get the first version and the version for paragliders (own battery, bespoke case etc) done first !

corbo

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 01:48:29 pm »
The installation files copied to the SD card give no result on the Pi Zero. The only thing that happens is that a LED blinks seven times and then stays on steady for a certain period. That repeats continuously. No information on the screen whatsoever.

That same SD card placed in a Pi B+ starts the installation proces of the Pilot Aware software. After that is all set and done placing the SD card back in the Pi Zero results in no joy, it won't be fooled or tricked.

Taking an .img file from piAware (the ground station version) and writing that to the SD card and placing that in the Pi Zero results in a happily booting system.

So I guess there is something wrong in the software which does not let it boot from an Pi Zero; Pi B+ works fine.

If there is any way I can help testing or reporting, please let me know.  Is there a package or git-repository for this specific software I can install on a virgin Raspbian?

As this is my first post, a little introduction of myself; I fly out of EHTW as a member of the Vliegclub Twente and am using EasyVFR for navigational purposes.

Admin

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 03:36:32 pm »
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=127022&p=849935

it appears the pi zero requires new installation based on Jessie

Thx
Lee

rollingcircle

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 05:34:33 pm »

Exactly - the Pi Zero (at least the ones I have) boots normally with the latest 2015-11-21 Jessie images (https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/)

Very neat little units, will be great for embedded IoT projects, but as has been noted not the ideal platform for a PAW with USB GPS, DTV and Wifi modules.

ianfallon

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 05:43:37 pm »
Could be useful for a transmit-only P3I "DroneAware" though  ;)

rollingcircle

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 10:23:20 pm »
Could be useful for a transmit-only P3I "DroneAware" though  ;)

Well, I guess you could use one for that, but it would involve duplicating a lot of stuff that the flight controller already does - a while back I extended the 8-bit MultiWii controller code to do pretty much that, sending telemetry from the controller - GPS, baro, as well as system metrics - out over an XRF (the ARFs smaller sibling) - the project rejoicing in the name 'TelemetWii', as an homage to Elmer Fudd.

The reason we need the Pi in the mix as opposed to a simple microcontroller is to do the heavy-lifting of doing the SDR voodoo to get ADS-B traffic data.  That being said, at £4 a pop the Pi Zero is a lot cheaper than most of the 32-bit microcontrollers now being used on flight control boards....

ianfallon

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 03:56:53 pm »
I'm not sure whether ADS-B IN on "drones" would be a blessing or a curse.
(By "drone" here, I mean RC-helicopter-thing-bought-by-kid-on-a-market-stall rather than mil-spec-UAV !)

SteveHutt

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 04:25:12 pm »
I'm not sure whether ADS-B IN on "drones" would be a blessing or a curse.
(By "drone" here, I mean RC-helicopter-thing-bought-by-kid-on-a-market-stall rather than mil-spec-UAV !)

Hi Ian, I suspect you meant 'ADS-B Out on "drones" '.

Isn't this where relative altitude filtering comes in? If you are flying at 2000ft then you don't want to be warned about all those toy drones flying 1950 ft below you but I'd like a warning if there was one 2 miles ahead of me 50ft below my level.

Steve
Steve Hutt