Author Topic: Flyer Live 28th-29th November - 1 day to go  (Read 19255 times)

EricC

Re: Flyer Live 28th-29th November - 3 days to go
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 04:03:06 pm »
I would like to collect a new one on Sat if they are available.
Run as a base station for range testing from my location near
EGNH.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 09:53:13 pm by EricC »

thearb

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 11:35:12 am »
further screen shots from the Long Marston test last weekend:

improved ADS-B reception from the ground at Long Marston further to the extra shielding:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8gx0t2xrl9ai8ql/2015-11-22%2011.54.17.png?dl=0

and a real life proximity alert on skydemon triggered on finals by the ground station ahead and to the right

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qiusubykkzieite/2015-11-22%2013.36.34.png?dl=0

ianfallon

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 12:34:14 pm »
In my limited time testing PAWs together I have found it very random whether you get the red aeroplane symbol or just a white one.
I guess this is the Skydemon algorithm. I'm hoping they are going to release some updates to the "FLARM" traffic side of the software soon.

T67M

Re: Flyer Live 28th-29th November - 1 day to go
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 09:44:13 pm »
My similarly limited testing with PAW/ARF and SD suggests that the alert is issued if the two aircraft are going to "cross the beams" plus-or-minus about 10 seconds of flight time. This quite effectively alerts for potential collisions without giving alerts for nearby traffic that will pass well clear ahead or behind. I was unable to get an alert when holding in a tight orbit with another aircraft - given the F***M protocol's heritage in the glider world, I wonder if this was designed to avoid false alerts for multiple gliders thermalling together.

The problem, of course, is that this presumes that both aircraft will continue more-or-less what they are doing right now - which as I regularly fly aerobatics may not be an entirely safe assumption! I would therefore like to add (or be able to choose) a simpler "proximity alert" for any aircraft within (say) a couple of miles and +/-1000 feet vertically even if the "beams" won't cross.

The Westmorland Flyer

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2015, 07:27:19 pm »
Great to meet so many of you at the Flyer Live show today. The PAW stand was very busy with lots of interest and the afternoon presentation to a packed "room" was excellent. Well done Lee and team.
John
G-JONL, Sportcruiser, Carlisle

exfirepro

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2015, 09:41:52 am »
Likewise - really enjoyed the visit to Flyer Live yesterday and the chance to chat to Lee and the rest of the team. Can't wait for the new radio shield to be 'CE' approved and available, but will continue testing my ADS-B unit  meantime and demonstrating the virtues of PAW to my fellow club members back up in Scotland.

Peter

the_doc

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 10:24:50 am »
For those of us unable to attend the show, and completely in the dark about the new radio, other than the few posts and pictures on here (that are causing me to get excited already!), can the team post a statement (after the show and the dust has settled early week) to tell us mere mortals about the new board?

CE marked? Sounds exciting, sounds like you have the "golden ticket"!

ianfallon

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 11:59:02 am »
Great show yesterday and great to meet a lot of people from here face to face.
All seats were taken for the presentation which I think went down very well.
Great work on the presentation Keith.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2015, 12:10:45 pm »
There was quite a good show of hands when the audience was asked who had already built one!

The Westmorland Flyer

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2015, 12:34:10 pm »
Yes, I was quite impressed with how many hands went up. Certainly over one third of the audience. The other 2/3rds will no doubt be on board before long!
John
G-JONL, Sportcruiser, Carlisle

IainM

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2015, 01:51:24 pm »
Time for an online progress update to be posted, surely.

Moffrestorer

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2015, 02:46:39 pm »
I think Lee and team are up to their eyes in it at the moment until Flyer Live finishes.

I'm sure output from the very informative presentation will then be posted officially.

Alan Walker

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 03:17:35 pm »
Wot Moffrestorer said.

Aerial

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2015, 04:55:28 pm »
I started early on at the PA stand where Dave kindly ran one of my 2 units up to check that it worked, at least within the constraints of poor GPS reception. Thanks Dave, appreciated.
The talk later was just great. I would think that for anyone not knowing the principles of what PA can do and cannot do would have been very enlightened. It was not at all technical (no 'how' it does what it does) and really put the project firmly as a viable proposition for GA pilots to seriously consider. There were just a few questions at the end that were most comprehensively answered so I'm certain there will be many more licenses issued in the near future!
But - I'm preaching to the already converted!

Robski

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2015, 08:13:57 pm »
Sounds like things went well.

Glad to hear it!
Rob
If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.