Author Topic: Forum "noise"  (Read 4863 times)

SteveN

Forum "noise"
« on: November 22, 2015, 06:58:48 pm »
This forum intended for development is being degraded by people repeatedly asking the same questions over and over they could answer for themselves with a quick search of it.

I fear as a result the real development discussion is now taking place elsewhere.

That is shame.

ianfallon

Re: Forum "noise"
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 07:05:06 pm »
To be fair I'm not sure we have quite got to the point of utterly reliable, simple procedures. However ...

The idea behind the Software Installation Guide (and the Known Good Hardware List) is to provide this, so newcomers can simply follow that and all will work.

Certainly people should follow that to the letter first. I do mean to the letter too - e.g. don't follow it with everything running indoors where GPS reception will be non-existent! Don't skip/forget SD formatter options etc.

If there are genuine cases not covered by the documentation I'm keen to know so I can update it - feedback on the Documentation thread please.

ridders

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 07:15:21 pm »
I'm disappointed that this forum has people complaining about noise.

Seriously though, perhaps the location of the answers are not very clear or apparent Steve.  Perhaps you should become a moderator and delete everyone who asks a stupid question....

I am back to listing mode now. Last posting on here for me.

The views I express here are entirely my own and are not intended to represent my employer.

IainM

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 08:25:30 pm »
It's actually the General Discussion forum.
The description is "Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board".

Not the Arcane Discussion for the Gurus Only Forum...

So it looks like noise is welcome... 8)

neilmurg

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 10:46:49 pm »
I don't think it's too noisy. There are bound to be different levels of comprehension but the stickies and standard documents are enormously helpful.
There is also merit in the communal feel that is engendered by questions about the build. There is potential in these questions for new holes or ideas to be discovered. Too rigorous a line could stifle creative input.

And I'd like to think I'm as intolerant as anyone... :P

FERRYAIR

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 10:49:27 pm »
I think we all need to realise that Lee Moore & Ian Fallon are trying to achieve something that will ultimately benefit us all when it is fully operational with a larger uptake of pilots using it
 8)
Any perception of " noise " can be annoying, however I have very little Electronics knowledge so I will continue to ask question's that some may find daft or something that I should research myself, Research is better if you get the facts from those in the 'know' as opposed to trying to find an answer that fits.

I would like to personally thank Lee & Ian for taking time to explain my stupid questions with answers that I can kind of understand.

Robski

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 02:15:23 pm »
I have updated myself with the forum every week or so, sometimes more often, since the LAA mag article was published, and have built myself a PAW, gradually updating it as first the barometer and then the external GPS came along.

I have to agree that I keep seeing the same questions being asked over and over again.

When I built my PAW and hooked it up to my Android SD I did have some of the issues that people regularly report  ???, but having read the threads on the forum and studied the documentation provided I worked through the issues myself  ;D - and felt more satisfaction for having done so...  8)

Admittedly I work in IT, but on the software side, not the hardware building or configuration/integration sides, so I was working as a general Joe Public type!
Rob
If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.

ianfallon

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 12:36:59 pm »
The idea behind the software guide was to reduce the software related questions and problems on the forum.

The hardware construction side was/is in more flux and has evolved over time, so addressing that with a "here's exactly how to build" doc wasn't really possible.
It looks like it will hardly be needed in the future, perhaps just the known hardware list plus a simple guide to plugging it all together ?