Author Topic: Wifi fails to initialise on boot up (but does with the correct wifi dongle!)  (Read 10278 times)

PaulB

I've tried to set up PA this morning but the wifi dongle fails to initiate.  As far as I'm aware it's on the recommended list.  It's this one and it works with Noobs. 

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/wireless-adapters/7603621/?searchTerm=760-3621

To add to the issue, the SD card is write protected so I can't even re-format and start again (to complicate matters, I'm on a Mac here.)

The error I see is this (I tried booting with a monitor)

"starting advanced IEEE 802.11management : HostAPDsegmentation fault" That's wifi isn't it?

As I said, the wifi dongle works with Noobs.

[Problem solved so edited title!]

There's also a warning about kernel lacking Cgroups.

Any pointers....

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 07:57:54 pm by PaulB »

colinmackenzie

Re: Wifi fails to initialise on boot up
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 02:26:01 pm »
Hi Paul,

I'm no PAW expert but...

Does the WiFi dongle use the recommended chipset RT5370?

Like the one available here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231483794170?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The SD card adapter should have a little slider on it that allows the card to be toggled between read/write.
If its the SD Formatter software telling you that it is write protected...don't believe it! I have found that re-inserting the card sorts that out. Remember to use the context menu to 'eject' the card if that is the case. Oops saw you are using a Mac...my experience is limited to Windows 10, but maybe, just maybe this might help!

Cheers,
Colin

PaulB

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 02:41:32 pm »
I've no idea what chipset it uses, but thought I'd selected it from the known good hardware list on here.  It certainly works with NOOBs.  Perhaps that's where I've gone wrong ad I will have ordinarily avoided eBay.

As for the card, it hasn't got a slider in it (do microSD cards have those?)  The adapter does have a slider... sliding it makes no discernible difference.  I've googled a fair bit and it's clear I'm not the only one with this issue related to SD cards, but non of the proposed solutions works.

Are some SD cards single write only?  In fact this can't be true of this card because I added the  PAW files, booted the pi and now there are two partitions so it's clearly been written to twice!

neilmurg

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 03:04:28 pm »
Your wifi dongle appears to be a EW-7811Un
which I think has 1 of 2 different chipsets, RTL8192 or RTL8188UCS

So not the RT5370, and not the one on the 'Known Good Hardware' page

The only reference to your dongle in the forum is from someone who reported that it doesn't work

Tony Crome

ADS-B returns unstable in cockpit
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 03:06:15 pm »
I have ADS-B returns working well from ground - either in my house or outside no matter where. However when I try in my cockpit the ADS-B targets flick on, then off, then on again continuously. Probably about a constant 1 second cycle - on then off.  This happens even with all electrical power off in the aircraft. The same happens in flight. Then taken out of the cockpit it works normally even in the corner of the hangar.
My cockpit is a large Perspex one and the aircraft wood and fabric - a Jodel D140 There are metal hoops supporting the canopy which could be interfering in some way with the wifi signal (?)

I'm using RunwayHD and the recommended ADS-B receiver and wifi dongle. The red LED on the pi does flash and often goes out altogether - I understand this indicates insufficient power ( I have a 5v2 1A supply) but as I say all works well out of the cockpit and the iPad picks up the wifi signal without interruption.

Any suggestions for cause ?
Thanks Tony

neilmurg

Re: ADS-B returns unstable in cockpit
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 03:30:17 pm »
I have ADS-B returns working well from ground - either in my house or outside no matter where. However when I try in my cockpit the ADS-B targets flick on, then off, then on again continuously
Tony
Not sure why your post is attached to the bottom of a different issue (wifi), probably deserves it's own thread.
Do you have a different power supply outside of the cockpit? It sounds like power issues. I use a power pack, handy for testing at the bottom of the garden, or on dog walks
This one runs all day and can power my tablet as well
Anker 2nd Gen 3Amp output portable charger

Admin

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 03:37:09 pm »
Hi Paul
Which version of PAW are you running ?
This sounds like you have a Pi2 not a PiB+

The latest software detects this, which is why I ask

Thlee

PaulB

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 03:45:17 pm »
It's a B+ (or so it says on the box) and the software was PilotAware.20151114.

If I relieve myself of my eBay aversion and get the known good wifi dongle, will it work or will the setup have failed also (due to the bad dongle)?

Tony Crome

ADS -B prob
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 04:49:28 pm »
Thanks for the advice regarding my ADS-B returns cycling on/off. Yes I am using the same power supply in and out of the cockpit.

I have ordered your recommended power supply.

Will advise results ..

Regards Tony (couldn't see where to start new topic - sorry !)

ianfallon

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 04:54:08 pm »
It's a B+ (or so it says on the box) and the software was PilotAware.20151114.

If I relieve myself of my eBay aversion and get the known good wifi dongle, will it work or will the setup have failed also (due to the bad dongle)?

Setup should be OK - just plug in the 'good' dongle and you should be fine.
btw. I don't think your SD card can be read-only if you've got as far as you have!

PaulB

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 05:17:40 pm »
btw. I don't think your SD card can be read-only if you've got as far as you have!

Thx.  I don't think it is either.

PaulB

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 07:27:51 pm »
Sorry if this is classed as noise, but now I've got the right WiFi dongle, the setup was a breeze.  Traffic showing on SkyDemon.

Thanks all!

Paul

Paul_Sengupta

Yay!

Johnyboy

Hi
Im new , i have right wifi adapter  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231483794170?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT but still not showing on my ipad iphone and windows computer.
I did reinstall the software few times with RT5370 and RTL2832U pluged in. Still not showing on my devaices.

Im planing to use it on Air Navigation Pro on iphone 6+
Any help will be appriciated
Thanks
Ivo

neilmurg

1  Is the red light on the Pi on?
2  Is the wifi module flashing red?
3  Did you follow the software install instructions and did it go exactly as described