Author Topic: Logging PAW data  (Read 4560 times)

neilmurg

Logging PAW data
« on: November 20, 2015, 08:59:38 pm »
Is there an explanation of the logging options, what each one is for and how to save logging traces? I've just started flying with the PAW in the Farnborough area, it would be useful to look through logs to check what PAW-PAW contacts were made (if any). I would rather be focussing on flying and check on the PAW after the flight.
I'm already getting useful data from traffic into/out of Farnborough via ADS-B.
I see lots of interesting stuff on the traffic page, but this is ephemeral

T67M

Re: Logging PAW data
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 09:51:25 pm »
Taking it a stage further, it would be ideal if the data was written to the SD-card to allow longer logs to be stored and could be downloaded from the web interface when you get home. If enough data was included (I guess P3I data plus the associated Mode-C/S/ADS-B info), we would get a baseline for any Mode-C range estimation.

Admin

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 01:01:58 pm »
Hi All

Regarding the logging options, these are _really_ there for developer assistance, but I guess they are useful to others.
There is a big gaping hole regarding documentation of the software when running, that is a big TODO on my part.
Ian Fallon has done a great job of documenting the installation procedure, and once the software starts to settle from the current churn, I will set about documenting.

Regarding storage of data, this is something I have been thinking about, but let me describe the potential issue here.
I configure the disk of PilotAware to be in a non-persistant (safemode) state, there is a very good reason for this, a will known issue with SD cards, if you pull the power without having flushed the filesystem correctly, then you can trash the disk, and make it unusable.
This is VERY undesirable, and hence the design decision above to use safemode.
However, I can see the requirement for being able to record information persistantly, and I am thinking of two potential solutions here:-

1. Have an option in the web interface to instantaneously save the recorded flight data, effectively this would put the disk into a mode which can be written, save the flight data, then flip back to safemode.

2. Have an option on the web interface to 'download' the flight data to another device, tablet, PC etc, the downside to this, you MUST ensure PAW is powered until this option is complete. This could work with (1) above.

Thx
Lee

SteveHutt

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 01:13:45 pm »
Thanks Lee,

As previously discussed, an easy to use mechanism to capture the ongoing Traffic Display (better than attempting to do a screen dump when your own transponder SIL/SDA settings are showing) would be highly beneficial for use with my proposed adaptation to the LAA MOD 14 approval process.

Basically, the owner will need something they can send to the LAA (and hopefully other associations) to evidence their installation.

A PAW Traffic Display screen dump will do but I suspect there could be a better way.

Cheers,
Steve
Steve Hutt

Ian Melville

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 01:49:48 pm »
Is there any reason why you cannot write the data to a USB pen drive? IIRC there is one spare USB port.

Admin

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 01:52:14 pm »
I have installations with all USB slots occupied :
- ADS-B RTL-SDR
- WiFi
- GPS
- Transponder / RS232

When I started, I never thought for a moment I would have used all 4 slots!
Thx
Lee

Richard

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 07:42:23 pm »
Thanks Lee,

As previously discussed, an easy to use mechanism to capture the ongoing Traffic Display (better than attempting to do a screen dump when your own transponder SIL/SDA settings are showing) would be highly beneficial for use with my proposed adaptation to the LAA MOD 14 approval process.

Basically, the owner will need something they can send to the LAA (and hopefully other associations) to evidence their installation.

A PAW Traffic Display screen dump will do but I suspect there could be a better way.

Cheers,
Steve

OK This is the Screen Shot from my aircraft today, I did intend to fly into the NATS Trial zone today but the weather was not good for the altitude required for the test VFR.

The Screen shot shows another aircraft - SYG04 with an Alt of 34071 displaying data I would have expected to see this aircraft displaying a SDA or SIL number. but is 0 My aircraft GIRPW on the ground is displaying 0 as required.

What is NACp and NICa also VERS ?
Richard.
Europa XS