Author Topic: Raspberry Pi Model B (not +)  (Read 16498 times)

tj80

Raspberry Pi Model B (not +)
« on: September 01, 2015, 04:18:35 pm »
Hi,

Really exciting project, I hope it picks up the momentum it deserves.

I'd like to have a go at putting a system together and already have an unused Raspberry Pi Model B (not B+) sat in a drawer.  It doesn't look like the changes between the B and the B+ are critical to get PilotAware running - can anyone confirm?  Only 2 USB ports (but only 2 are needed anyway - TV tuner and Wifi?), same processor and memory, etc, and I don't think the additional GPIO pin mappings matter as the first 26 are identical on the B+.  Lower power consumption and neater form factor would be nice, but again I don't think essential.

Many thanks,
Tim

Admin

Re: Raspberry Pi Model B (not +)
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 04:23:59 pm »
Hi Tim,

I do not have access to a model B to comment really, but your thought process sounds solid
I guess it is a case of suck it and see, if it fails at least all of your parts will be reusable with a B+board

What I do know for a fact is that it does not currently work with the Pi2
There are some kernel drivers missing.

thx
Lee

tj80

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 04:29:22 pm »
Thanks, Lee.  I'll order the bits and give it a shot.  If it works I'll pick up a B+ to use permanently as the lower power consumption and neater form factor would be good.  I'll be using it from a USB battery pack in a rented aircraft, so plumbed in power isn't an option.

Thanks,
Tim

SouthLat

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 10:30:49 pm »

What I do know for a fact is that it does not currently work with the Pi2
There are some kernel drivers missing.
Is this determined by Raspberry or PilotAware? Is there likely to be a solution in the short term? Presumably Pi 1 B+ will become in short supply now that they have been superseded by the Pi 2.

ianfallon

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 08:07:30 pm »
I've got a couple of original model Bs so would be interested in how you get on.
I might try the same in the mean time!

tj80

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 08:31:51 pm »
Is this determined by Raspberry or PilotAware? Is there likely to be a solution in the short term? Presumably Pi 1 B+ will become in short supply now that they have been superseded by the Pi 2.

That'll be the Linux drivers for the Pi 2 build not PilotAware.  Will be sorted in due course I'm sure, and the first generation are still available in various places.

SouthLat

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 12:50:01 am »

That'll be the Linux drivers for the Pi 2 build not PilotAware.  Will be sorted in due course I'm sure, and the first generation are still available in various places.
Thanks TJ80. Doesn't say much for the Raspberry claim that the Pi 2 is 100% backward compatible.

It's a pity because I see using the Pi 2 now as a way of 'future-proofing' against the increase in functionality that will almost invariably be requested of the PilotAware software.

Admin

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 03:48:42 pm »
It's a pity because I see using the Pi 2 now as a way of 'future-proofing' against the increase in functionality that will almost invariably be requested of the PilotAware software.

I am not overly concerned about this at the moment, the current CPU load average is about 30%
That still leaves plenty of room for manoeuvre

iang

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 10:03:16 pm »
Thanks, Lee.  I'll order the bits and give it a shot.  If it works I'll pick up a B+ to use permanently as the lower power consumption and neater form factor would be good.  I'll be using it from a USB battery pack in a rented aircraft, so plumbed in power isn't an option.

Thanks,
Tim
TJ how did you get on using the model B ? I also have a spare one and could use it as a spare

ianfallon

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 10:14:33 pm »
The original model B does work but is limited by having only 2 USB ports (DVB + Wifi) so you can't add a USB GPS (or RS232 out) to it.

tj80

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 10:00:55 am »
Seems to work fine on my early Model B - which only has 256mb memory vs later Model Bs which had 512mb like the B+.

I've currently got the ARF and TV tuner working, and can see ADS-B traffic in SkyDemon.  I have no way of testing the ARF other than being able to pick up short transmissions every 2 seconds using another TV dongle and SDRSharp.  I will probably add a barametric sensor but as my iPad Mini has a built-in GPS I'm not fussed about that.

Cheers,
Tim

Moffrestorer

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 01:04:32 pm »
Hi Tim,

The barometric sensor enables ADS-B targets and targets from the P3i ARF to be displayed using the same reference height which I believe to be the GNSS datum. It has nothing to do with having built in GPS in your display device.

Chris

Admin

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 01:25:47 pm »
Hi All

To be clear on the altitude reference.

ADS-B Altitude is referenced using QNE 1013mb, and hence will differ from true altitude depending upon the pressure on a particular day.

The Barometric sensor provides the ability to have a common altitude reference, and hence relative vertical differences are correct.

If you do not have a Barometric sensor, you can dial the QNH into the Web config page, and it will calculate the altitude difference, from the GNSS

Thx
Lee

tj80

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 09:44:01 pm »
Hi Chris/Lee,

Sorry, I did understand that but reading my last comment back used sloppy ambiguous language!  :o I meant I wasn't fussed about the ability to add a GPS sensor as my ipad has one, but will add a barometric sensor at some point!  :D

Having said that, I get the impression a GPS receiver may be a requirement in the future?

Cheers,
Tim

the_top_pilot

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 10:11:44 pm »
Quick Idea,

To boost the number of USB ports on a model B could you not add a small USB Hub?

Steve