Author Topic: Current Fault Indications.....what do they mean please?  (Read 2854 times)

CliveJ

Current Fault Indications.....what do they mean please?
« on: January 03, 2024, 09:32:07 am »
Not much going on on the forums, does that mean all is well with everyone?

Being a bit lazy here as lots of stuff to do so not trawled through to find the answers myself. Thought the enlightened can probably answer quickly.

Flying the other day it was very quiet so not many aircraft to fly near to see how the PAW classic (new Rasp Pi upgrade) external antennas and 4G dongle (external antennas) was really performing.

I had some indications that suggested not all was well when i was looking at the different PAW pages using a browser:

1/
1090 unavailable 183856 (+0), Home page

2/
the TXP box that is usually Green was often red, radar screen

Screenshots below

Thanks Clive

« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 09:34:59 am by CliveJ »

steveu

Re: Current Fault Indications.....what do they mean please?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 10:15:52 am »
1090 unavailable 183856 (+0), is the SDR/USB cable fully seated in the USB slot? Is that USB slot configured correctly? Is the antenna cable connected?

Admin

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 10:35:09 pm »
Hi All

You said 4g dongle, do you really mean 4g dongle, or a wifi dongle connected to a cellular hotspot ?

I would have said a power issue, but that does not appear to be reported
The track file for the flight may give more information

Thx
Lee

CliveJ

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 02:50:37 pm »
Thanks for the replies. Didn't appear to be any problem with the power, though I'm not sure how that would manifest itself. Isn't the wifi link the first thing to drop when the power is too low?

I'm going to have a look at the antenna connection/cable etc today.

I've got a 4G cellular dongle plugged into the Classic on a USB. The Dongle has an external pad antenna connected by two cables.
It's signal to start with was really consistent but it seems to be dropping out a bit lately. Works better across the channel than here.

It would be really good to see where the traffic is coming from?......maybe an extra column on the Traffic Page showing where each contact is coming from?

Currently I can have a screen full and I don't know what's working and what isn't, what's coming from where.
Antenna, ground station, Atom, iGrid.....

thanks guys, Regards, Clive 

PaulSS

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 06:16:32 pm »
There's been a fair bit of advice on 4G dongles and not to power them from the PAW USBs. You need to plug the 4G dongle into a different power source.

steveu

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 06:22:47 pm »

It would be really good to see where the traffic is coming from?......maybe an extra column on the Traffic Page showing where each contact is coming from?

Currently I can have a screen full and I don't know what's working and what isn't, what's coming from where.
Antenna, ground station, Atom, iGrid.....

Isn't it this attached, column circled in blue? It says where the ping is coming from?

Admin

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2024, 09:56:21 am »
The 4g dongles we have tested, draw upto 800ma
This is way too much for the usb ports
USB is only rated at 500ma
The combined draw of usb current will be too much

Please power the 4g dongle externally
Also if you are using a dual port power pack, remember that again, the max current is shared across those ports

Thx
Lee

PaulSS

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2024, 11:14:58 am »
I've got a 4G cellular dongle plugged into the Classic on a USB. The Dongle has an external pad antenna connected by two cables.
It's signal to start with was really consistent but it seems to be dropping out a bit lately. Works better across the channel than here.

I, too, have the capability with my 4G dongle of having external antennas but found it made no difference to 4G reception if they were used or not. It was pointed out to me (buried deep in one of the threads on this forum) that the external antennas were only used for the WIFI signal from the dongle to the receiving device (iPad, PAW iGrid etc) and had nothing to do with receiving 4G signals.

steveu

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2024, 11:18:23 am »

I, too, have the capability with my 4G dongle of having external antennas but found it made no difference to 4G reception if they were used or not. It was pointed out to me (buried deep in one of the threads on this forum) that the external antennas were only used for the WIFI signal from the dongle to the receiving device (iPad, PAW iGrid etc) and had nothing to do with receiving 4G signals.

I think it depends on the dongle. I've been able to get big improvements in 4G signal using external antennas...

CliveJ

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2024, 12:50:53 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback.

The traffic MODE column above shows traffic at up to 800km away so I figure that's coming through either the ATOM or the dongle.

I messed with the 1090 extension cable and things were better so I bought a good quality RG58 cable that doesn't seem to have made any odds, the old one was a flimsy one. My hangar mate re-appeared again the other day when flying together so all I have atm is ok.

Dongle reception; metal aeroplane under a metal panel, a dongle in my son's fibreglass plane even was much better with the pad antenna. The Dongle is the types that look like a zip drive.

How do I power the dongle externally but still have it giving data to the PAW unit via the USB?

406436 is my number. I'd still like the PAW signals to look a little better so aircraft don't disappear and re-appear when close. Going to try the old antenna on the panel to see if it has a better view out the front than the external BNC connected metal one under the belly, under the rudder pedals, below the 0-320 which is a big lump of obscuration of course.

Thanks all, Regards, Clive

« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 12:52:28 pm by CliveJ »

PaulSS

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2024, 01:11:47 pm »
How do I power the dongle externally but still have it giving data to the PAW unit via the USB?

You have your WIFI dongle (with 4G sim card installed) powered from a USB source, other than your PAW and you have a WIFI dongle (the type sold for iGrid) plugged into your PAW. Your WIFI dongle acts as a WIFI hotspot and you just join that hotspot.

CliveJ

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2024, 01:19:33 pm »
Thanks Paul, I was avoiding having anything else connected to the PAW by wifi aside from my two SD screens.
Assume that isn't an issue with this set up?

I set the PAW to hook up to the dongle on the set up screen?

Though I have to ask if everything is working why don't I leave it as it is?

Regards, Clive

PaulSS

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2024, 04:23:10 pm »
Thanks Paul, I was avoiding having anything else connected to the PAW by wifi aside from my two SD screens.
Assume that isn't an issue with this set up?

It's not an issue at all; it's what it's designed to do. PAW transmits traffic over WIFI to your SD. It receives iGrid information from your 4G dongle on the little WIFI dongle that plugs into the PAW USB slot.

This is the iGrid dongle that you can plug in and use to receive the 4G data:

https://www.pilotaware.com/product/igrid-wifi-connectivity-module

I set the PAW to hook up to the dongle on the set up screen?

It's on the Network tab. Just go int there, select the 4G dongle name from the drop down list as the hotspot to which you wish to connect and enter the password. It will remember it from then on and connect automatically once your dongle gets going. You can also enable the router option, which means your tablets will also get 4G data from your 4G dongle, via the PAW connection.

Though I have to ask if everything is working why don't I leave it as it is?

Because the Raspberry Pi in your PAW is quite power hungry and running your 4G dongle off the internal USB power as well will cause a larger current to be drawn and the next question will be 'why is my PAW throttling'. Just keep the 4G dongle on another power source.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 04:29:37 pm by PaulSS »

CliveJ

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2024, 12:57:11 pm »
Thanks Paul, I'll have a look at a 4G dongle with wifi.

I've still got my wifi dongle from when I had an earlier Raspberry Pi without an internal one, so I'll put that back when I get a 4G dongle with Wifi.

So now I have to ask what is 'throttling' and how will I know it is happening?

Many thanks for your detailed replies and info.

Regards, Clive

Admin

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2024, 09:06:45 am »
Throttling means that the system has detected either
Low voltage
High temperature

What it will do is reduce the clock speed, and hence processing power, in order to reduce the load on voltage or temperature

Thx
Lee