Author Topic: PAW audio to Trig radio  (Read 2284 times)

Dave1906

PAW audio to Trig radio
« on: October 24, 2023, 06:28:47 pm »
Can anyone tell me how to attach the audio out plug which is a 3.5mm audio plug to the Trig pin.  I'm handy but not particularly electrical minded. Is it just a case of chopping the lead to expose the carrier wire, then attaching it to a female socket then to the audio pin on the Trig? 

any help gratefully received.

Dave

tnowak

Re: PAW audio to Trig radio
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2023, 03:31:45 pm »
You may need to connect the "other" wire from the 3.5 mm plug to airframe or audio ground.
Also, sometimes a 600 ohm resistor in the feed to the Trig ext audio input is required.
You could check with Trig if this is required.
Tony

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 05:05:44 pm »
Hi Dave,

Take a look at this thread, which should help explain what you are looking for - at least from the PilotAware end...

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,1962.msg20981.html#msg20981

I seem to remember in the past suggesting a Search for 'Audio Out' using the Search box at top right, from the Forum Home Screen to ensure maximum depth search of the Forum. There might already be something on there to help with your Trig. If you are still having problems, please come back to me.

Best Regards

Peter

PaulSS

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2023, 06:35:22 pm »
An alternative suggestion is to wire a Bluetooth receiver into the Aux input. This way you can Bluetooth audio from, for instance, a SkyDemon-equipped tablet and then enjoy the ‘Intelligent Audio’, as opposed to raw PAW audio. Of course, if you want raw PAW you can Bluetooth your PAW to the BT receiver. The point being, if you did something like that you have more options.

Dave1906

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2023, 07:30:37 pm »
Hey thanks all for the replies, I am currently trying a amplifier from Amazon, I think this would be good, but may need to wire the output to the PAW to the Trig. Can anyone do me a simple drawing of how to attach the chopped 3.5mm wire from PAW to the pin on the Trig? I understand the black wire needs earthing, but attaching the pos wire to the back of the PAW pin is what I need help on at this point.

Thanks.

Dave

PaulSS

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2023, 12:06:48 pm »
If you're going to hardwire, why not wire a female jack into your Trig radio and have the ability to plug any 3.5mm device into the Aux circuit? You could then get a 3.5mm male to male lead and plug one end into the PAW and the other into the Trig's female jack. If you decided to go Bluetooth in the future, you could plug a Bluetooth receiver into the same jack.

Seems pretty simple wiring (below)

Dave1906

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2023, 06:55:07 pm »
Your diagram is just what I need, I think. I tried the amplifier, it works well, but, something to do with the noise reducing headset I am using causes my own audio speech to be muted, and of course any transmissions to me. So I will try this solution next, it may be that using the amplifier will work better if it is routed via the added 3.5mm jack plug.

Thanks for the diagram, this should work better. I will update you when I have tried it.

Dave

Dave1906

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2023, 05:12:53 pm »
Wired the 3.5mm jack in, and up to this point, everything works, the only fly in the ointment was that the ground pins on the Trig plug had all been used, so ultimately I simply ran the ground to earth. I did consider removing one of the earths using the special tool for pulling the pins out, but I decided it was not worth it. The PAW alerts are now coming through on my NRH, and my own speech is not mute.

Still to try whilst flying, but looking good.

Dave1906

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2024, 08:44:56 am »
Hi, ultimately the setup does not work. The audio from the PAW is simply not loud enough. I have tried more than one amplifier, still not loud enough.
So, now I am trying a blue tooth receiver, however I am not hearing anything at all. From what I can see it should be simple enough, as I understand the PAW outputs via bluetooth, so I have plugged a bluetooth receiver into my noise reducing headset, which is paired to my iPad, when I play music on my iPad the sound comes through no problem.
However NO audio can be detected on the iPad, for broadcast to me.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks

Dave1906

steveu

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2024, 09:47:13 am »
From what I can see it should be simple enough, as I understand the PAW outputs via bluetooth, so I have plugged a bluetooth receiver into my noise reducing headset, which is paired to my iPad, when I play music on my iPad the sound comes through no problem.
However NO audio can be detected on the iPad, for broadcast to me.

Have you paired the iPad with the PAW? Is this actually possible (Apple limits BT protocols allowed), and if done, will the iPad stream the received audio to the headset?

I'm questioning how the 3.5mm jack is wired, and if the ground is actually effective enough...

How many Bluetooth connections can your headset receiver support? I've seen receivers that will support more than one, in which case the second option is pair the PAW with the headset BT receiver directly as a second device...

Third possibility & my preferred option - if you are running Skydemon on the iPad, and the iPad is connected to the PAW and receiving traffic, then simply turn on the traffic alerts in Skydemon. That way you can have airspace alerts and trafic alerts from the same place, and you already know that BT from the iPad to the headset is working.

Dave1906

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2024, 04:42:40 pm »
Ok,

I may be missing something that's obvious to some.  I do not know how to pair the PAW to the iPad,  however i am using Skydemon quite happily. I have not had alerts up to this point, but have now gone into the navigation options on skydemon and turned the volume for the alerts right up to full, and pressed the test button, MUCH louder now. This was at home with the iPad, so not tested in the aircraft.

Maybe this is the problem, and now with an amplifier will be the solution.

The 3.5mm jack from the PAW is wired  to my Trig radio, with an amplifier in between, very quite on the ground, I know the setup is correct because I can hear it via my radio without the iPad or skydemon switched on.

My headset is not a bluetooth version, it is a NRH, no batteries, with a 3.5mm aux in plug.

Your 3rd option, I like and will try, again maybe it has simply been a case of ensuring the traffic alerts in the volume settings  was turned up. I will try and get back to this space, thanks for your understanding.
dave

steveu

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2024, 05:27:09 pm »
I'm quoting elsewhere from one of the internal PAW people, the sound levels on the Raspberry Pi are low level because it's an educational targeted system, and the idea is to avoid damaging young people's hearing via overly high audio levels.

However, the audio alerts that come from the iPad running SD having nothing to do with the level set in the PAW, as I understand it, the audio alerts that SD gives are derived from the data stream from the PAW, and are set in the SD software, as are alerts for airspace.

Maybe this is the problem, and now with an amplifier will be the solution.

There is something wrong with the audio set up if an amplifier is needed for everything. Have you also turned up the volume on the iPad BT output to maximum? You may have to go up past a warning for higher volumes and ear damage?

JCurtis

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2024, 09:20:50 pm »
Have you turned the Aux audio input max volume level up on the Trig?
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

CliveJ

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2024, 01:02:53 pm »
Avoiding the radio hook up:

I have the 3.5mm socket on my headset fed by my second SD screen, an old iPhone 5 which has a 3.5 audio output.
One male 3.5 to 3.5 cable, bingo.

This presents the SD audio of the PAW traffic info along with the usual SD warnings.
It also allows phone calls to my headset from my iphone hard wired, £5 a month sim, Lebara.
I also use a Lebara £5 sim in my 4G dongle.

This is a great advantage as the bluetooth running on the headset runs the batteries down very quickly.
Obviously you need a headset with a 3.5 jack for the in/out, Lightspeed Zulu.
A second old phone, I have a few of them, and a sim with a subscription, all a bit messy I know

Good luck with your endeavours. The advantage of the handy 3.5 plug is you can pull it out in a busy circuit when the Irish lady is getting very excited.

Regards, Clive

Dave1906

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2024, 06:30:46 pm »
I have finally got to the bottom of the problem, thanks to Steve Uzochukwu.

The answer lies in the Trig radio itself, as Steve explained in one of his emails to me, Trig radio has a second hidden menu, I'm not directly quoting the Trig manual here, but see Para 6.2 in the manual.  If you press the MON button for 2 seconds, individual set ups can be accessed for audio and others. Included specifically is 'auxiliary input volume'. This setting was right down, I turned it all the way up, now much louder. I then piped it via the £20 amplifier from Amazon. I now can hear and control the volume of PAW via the amplifier volume itself.

On another note I also now get skydemon traffic alerts, BT receiver plugged into my NRH, however it is very quite, despite turning up volume all the way. I put this down to the AC being very noisy.
Thanks to all who posted and got me to success here.