Author Topic: No aircraft audio alerts on Skydemon but visible on radar  (Read 2614 times)

Sean McDonald

No aircraft audio alerts on Skydemon but visible on radar
« on: August 23, 2023, 10:16:07 pm »
I may have asked this before  :-[

I have a Rosetta connected to a Samsung tablet running SkyDemon via wifi and cable from tablet to headset. I'm getting audible SD airspace alerts and seeing PAW generated traffic on screen but not getting any audio alerts for traffic despite some quite close by this evening. All connections and volume controls are, as far as I can see, set properly but I suspect there is a simple explanation that hasn't yet dawned on me!

Any gentle advice greatly appreciated  :)

grahambaker

Re: No aircraft audio alerts on Skydemon but visible on radar
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2023, 10:24:00 pm »
Have you checked that traffic warnings are enabled on SD by toggling it on at:

Setup>Navigation Options>(Other Traffic)Verbal Traffic Information ?

Sean McDonald

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2023, 06:22:22 am »
Yes Graham, everything enabled - all a bit odd as was working perfectly before going on holiday for a fortnight! I will change the connecting cable first.

grahambaker

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2023, 06:27:56 am »
In that case start with the headset and work backwards. It could be something as simple as a dicky socket or the mini Jack plug not pushed in quite far enough.

Sean McDonald

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2023, 06:53:38 am »
Sat on the ground for ten minutes after shutting the engine down checking everything and all connections were sound. Headset and mic are working fine as made and received radio calls. What I didn't think to do was to run Skydemon in simulate mode and use the spawn traffic option to see if there was any audio from that

Sean McDonald

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2023, 09:18:36 pm »
So checked everything again today. Connections all good. Used simulate and spawn traffic in SD and have audio alerts. However back to live I can see all the PAW settings are unchanged and can see traffic overlaid on SD screen and on PAW radar on tablet but no audio. Quite odd.

steveu

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2023, 12:00:29 am »
Do you get audio traffic alerts direct out of the Rosetta via the 3.5mm jack or BT and if you go to the Rosetta radar page are the limits for alerts set fully open?

Sean McDonald

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2023, 05:49:33 am »
Samsung tablet connected via WiFi to Rosetta, then 3.5mm jack cable from tablet to headset control box (Lightspeed Zulu 3). Can't remember the exact PAW limits I've set but they have been unchanged for the last 2 years at least, ditto the tablet. Evening before last I had several contacts visible on tablet and phone screen including two in the red, one 300 below and one same level but somehow the tablet is not generating the audio alerts for traffic despite being set to while producing audio for everything else. Also using mobile hotspot for Atom Grid information and again not changed any settings on there since I set that up.

grahambaker

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2023, 07:23:22 am »
Are you trying this out airborne or while on the ground?

IIRC the SkyDemon traffic alert algorithm relies on you being airborne (and/or above a certain speed, I believe) so you don't get constant alerts while parked and taxying.

Sean McDonald

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2023, 11:33:26 am »
Was airborne Wednesday evening when it became apparent. Connection tests since have been on the ground in flying mode or Skydemon simulate.

grahambaker

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2023, 11:43:40 am »
Sounds to me more of a SkyDemon issue than a PAW issue, and -may- be related to a quirk with your version of tablet/Android.

I'd suggest calling the SD help-desk who may well have seen similar issues with others and be able point you in the right direction.

Sean McDonald

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2023, 11:57:50 am »
I'm sure you are right Graham. PAW is obviously working as it should and indeed everything in it's current format or settings has done for ages. I'll try the SD forum and help too. I'm tempted to delete and reload SD from the tablet to see if that helps.

PaulSS

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2023, 03:29:16 pm »
You didn't do anything like 'silence all' or similar by mistake? I don't know if that option remains locked or if it reverts to default settings when you next use SkyDemon.

Sean McDonald

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2023, 04:52:31 pm »
No all volumes are up full tilt as usual and getting audio alerts for everything else on Skydemon

steveu

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2023, 08:15:18 pm »
Can't remember the exact PAW limits I've set but they have been unchanged for the last 2 years at least, ditto the tablet. Evening before last I had several contacts visible on tablet and phone screen including two in the red, one 300 below and one same level but somehow the tablet is not generating the audio alerts for traffic despite being set to while producing audio for everything else.

I have known settings change or for the settings to be lost.

If you are getting traffic alerts via Skydemon then there should be no limits set in the PAW, AIUI. The PAW sends everything and the limits are set in Skydemon?

Sometimes software updates change things or reset values, but this does not explain why it might happen that you lose traffic mid flight.

A lot of fault finding involves elimination, and the first thing I would eliminate is the software settings in the PAW and SD.

I'm looking at SD now and the audio alerts for trafifc are set separately from airspace, obstacle and terrain. So it is possible to have traffic verbal information unticked, hence no traffic info, and yet all the other warnings  working.

YMMV