Author Topic: No aircraft audio alerts on Skydemon but visible on radar  (Read 2664 times)

Sean McDonald

Re: No aircraft audio alerts on Skydemon but visible on radar
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2023, 07:30:53 am »
When I say I can't remember them exactly I mean when sat here at home as the Rosetta is in the aircraft. However I went through all the settings when I landed the other evening and again the following day and can see no reason that audio traffic alerts aren't being generated. I will delete SD from the tablet and reload it I think. Will also replace the 3.5mm cable though it is carrying all the other SD alerts to the headset.

Brooklands

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2023, 11:38:04 am »
Since you have a set of Lightspeed Zulus you could try linking them to the tablet via bluetooth rather than use a cable

Brooklands

Sean McDonald

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2023, 12:14:46 pm »
Yes have tried that but much prefer the cable. Volume is much better than bluetooth

tnowak

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2023, 01:07:34 pm »
Sean,

Are you getting textual warnings on SkyDemon for aircraft that you believe could cause a collision risk?
Also the screen display of risk aircraft also change to red if SD thinks there is  a risk.
Just wondering if there is an altitude mis-match somewhere between your SD noted altitude and what PAW is telling you regarding detected aircraft?
Tony

Sean McDonald

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2023, 02:56:58 pm »
Hi Tony,

I had both the aircraft in question displayed; on the tablet in Skydemon screen as displayed contacts on the map with height information relative to me and with registrations showing; on the tablet in the PAW radar screen as red squares; and on a separate android phone used only as a PAW radar screen as red squares.

As far as I can remember all the data displayed on the two devices matched up but I was pretty much eyes out looking for them so can't be 100% sure if any discrepancy or not. The fact that I visually acquired neither makes me wonder though. One at same level was apparently crossing behind me so was concentrating on the one in front which was showing as 300ft below but again I couldn't see it. EDIT to say I've looked at a flight tracking app and this one I referred to was a very small grey helicopter so no wonder I didn't see it!

All the alerts for terrain, airspace, entered runway etc were fine.

Sean
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 03:47:33 pm by Sean McDonald »

steveu

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2023, 10:42:41 am »
May I suggest extracting the track logs for the flights in question from the PAW Rosetta and uploading them to Aircrew/PAW playback?

You can leave them as not public but then send the resultant link from the upload to Lee, or anyone else you want to share with.

Audio alerts at PAW level will be marked on the trace with a speaker...

https://playback.pilotaware.com/playback/

This will show if the alerts were generated by the Rosetta. If not, Rosetta settings, if yes, then an SD problem.

Sean McDonald

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2023, 08:09:53 am »
Good idea. I will retrieve the sd card when next at the hangars

Sean McDonald

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2023, 10:06:18 pm »
This will show if the alerts were generated by the Rosetta. If not, Rosetta settings, if yes, then an SD problem.

Lots of speaker alerts visible on the trace. Closest aircraft was further than I thought at just under 2nm and 300ft below but while initially travelling right to left was then in front of me same direction for a bit before I changed heading. If all the speaker traces are things I was likely to have heard then I didn't. Very odd

steveu

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2023, 01:16:14 pm »

Lots of speaker alerts visible on the trace. Closest aircraft was further than I thought at just under 2nm and 300ft below but while initially travelling right to left was then in front of me same direction for a bit before I changed heading. If all the speaker traces are things I was likely to have heard then I didn't. Very odd

I'm looking at SD now and the audio alerts for trafifc are set separately from airspace, obstacle and terrain. So it is possible to have traffic verbal information unticked, hence no traffic info, and yet all the other warnings  working.

YMMV

I can only suggest that you go back to Skydemon, and check the traffic box is ticked and the limits set correctly, and also check the same settings in the PAW, but the PAW less likely as it's recording alerts being made...

PaulSS

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2023, 03:04:05 pm »
It's worth considering that a tiny bit of static, let alone normal radio reception can cause the SkyDemon verbal warnings to stay quiet. I am not sure if this is a SkyDemon thing (I cannot find any reference to muting in the manual) or if it is the radio settings. I have my iPad connected to SkyDemon via Bluetooth, so I do not think it is necessarily anything to do with my radio muting settings. What I do know is my SkyDemon traffic audio is non-existant if there's radio chatter or static.

steveu

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2023, 03:10:42 pm »
It's worth considering that a tiny bit of static, let alone normal radio reception can cause the SkyDemon verbal warnings to stay quiet. I am not sure if this is a SkyDemon thing (I cannot find any reference to muting in the manual) or if it is the radio settings. I have my iPad connected to SkyDemon via Bluetooth, so I do not think it is necessarily anything to do with my radio muting settings. What I do know is my SkyDemon traffic audio is non-existant if there's radio chatter or static.

I'd definitely agree with this if the PAW had been taken into a Microavionics intercom via a 3.5mm jack, as the radio ducks all the other audio inputs. Think it's the same for BT...

PaulSS

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2023, 03:25:04 pm »
I posted the question about SkyDemon muting on their forum but then got to thinking a bit more. Since SkyDemon has no connection nor input from my radio and there is no muting function in the iPad Bluetooth set up, it can only be my headset doing the muting. For once I read the manual and my headset (DC One-X) Bluetooth defaults to muting every time it is turned off. I had forgotten this, so much remember in future to press the Bluetooth button and disable muting each time, or else I rarely get the audio warnings because of radio transmissions, static or heavy breathing.

Sean has said he plugs his SkyDemon 3.5 mm audio lead into his headset control box to get SD's audio piped to his ears. I suspect there may well be muting on this circuit and, hopefully, a means of turning off that muting to get SD audio.

Sean McDonald

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2023, 05:14:50 pm »
Settings are definitely as they should be but interested in any other reasoning for the issue. Flew very briefly the other evening having fitted a different cable and replaced the headset batteries just in case. Had a couple of verbal alerts so it does work. Will try the original cable again but can't believe it would carry usual terrain alerts etc but not the traffic ones. It may be some sort of tablet glitch that I can't easily replicate

Admin

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2023, 08:31:32 am »
Its worth noting that the messages on Skydemon and paw are not equivalent
Paw messages are based on proximity, triggered by entry into zones, a bit like your burglar alarm
Skydemon messages are based upon extrapolating tracks of traffic and your own track, and calculating the risk

Sean McDonald

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2023, 01:18:09 pm »
Have sent the trackfile link through