Author Topic: No traffic showing on Radar display  (Read 1401 times)

Ray Pearce

No traffic showing on Radar display
« on: June 25, 2023, 06:57:57 pm »
I recently installed an iGrid wifi module and looked at the radar screen to check that GSM was showing.
I noticed that there was no traffic showing so I widened the scope of the display and still nothing appears.
It shows airfields and POI including Crawley but no Gatwick traffic shows.
The traffic display shows loads of traffic but the radar display is empty. Latest beta installed (the radar display kept prompting that an update was available - so I installed it via iGrid)
Is there a setting I have missed?

grahambaker

Re: No traffic showing on Radar display
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 07:03:09 pm »
Yes.

You haven’t got the traffic box ticked, only POI. :)

« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 07:05:05 pm by grahambaker »

Ray Pearce

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2023, 08:24:08 pm »
TFC ticked or not, it still doesn't show any traffic.
I just ticked POI for the screen shot to show that Gatwick was within scope

Admin

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2023, 10:21:19 pm »
You have set some filters
The fact that all of the traffic is “greyed out”, indicates that they are being ignored due to filtering
Can you post a clear image of the configure page

Thx
Lee

Ray Pearce

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2023, 08:30:32 pm »
I finally got to the hangar today and immediately saw that it was configured for 4 miles and 2000ft
Changed both to Display All and up popped loads of traffic on the radar screen
I had assumed that the radar settings would be used on the radar display and the Display range settings only used for sending traffic over RS232. It seems a bit odd to use both filters.

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2023, 11:56:05 pm »
Hi Ray,

The filters for 'Known Position' Traffic  in PAW / Configure are designed for use only with display systems such as XCSoar which don't contain their own filter set. For all other systems, these filters should be left at the default 'wide open' setting - 'Display All' - and your personal preference then set in your display software. Bearing in mind that the horizontal display limits for known position traffic are automatically controlled by the zoom level (and hence horizontal display range) set by the limits of your tablet screen, you normally only need to select an appropriate vertical range (e.g. in SkyDemon - 'Show within Vertically' in Settings/Navigation Options).

Hope this clarifies the position.

Best Regards

Peter

PaulSS

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2023, 08:29:16 am »
I don't think that is what Ray is saying Pete. I think he was surprised that if filters are set in the Configuration page, then those apply not only to the output from PAW to RS232 (and WIFI to SkyDemon) but they ALSO apply to the Radar page.

In other words, why have the Radar page H+, V- etc when the traffic that is showing has already had filters applied to it? In order to best use the function keys on the Radar page the traffic that is shown should really be the Display All traffic and then you use the +/- keys to limit what is seen.

I do appreciate the difficulty involved in doing that  :o

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2023, 09:25:32 am »
Point taken Paul,

But remember that historically, the PAW Config Screen filters were instigated way back in time, well before the development of the Radar Screen. At that time Lee had been asked to add filters for those using more basic display software that didn't have its own built in filtering options - hence the way it works. Filters set in Config automatically apply to all data being processed in the PAW - irrespective of where it is subsequently sent - which is why the standard recommendation is to leave them 'wide open' unless you have a specific need not to.

That then means that the only filtering that is done is your individual selection in your chosen display system - whether that be an external one such as SD, EVFR, etc or the 'pseudo external' PAW Radar Display (where the Radar Screen Vertical Setting acts as a 'traffic filter' and the Horizontal Setting acts as a 'Display Limit Zoom / Range Tool'.

Not sure how difficult (or appropriate) it would be to change the way it works unless there is a need to use the Config Range Filters to control display via RS232 yet for some reason allow the Radar Screen settings to be kept 'wide open'.

I'm sure Lee will respond in due course.

Peter

PaulSS

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2023, 04:53:24 pm »
I have my PAW piped to my Dynon HDX via RS232, so I am one of those who has to use the filters in the Configuration page to avoid covering my Dynon map in grey diamonds. Before Dynon I just used Display All and reduced the limits in SkyDemon; like most PAW users.

It's not a huge deal but it would be nice if the Radar page over-rode the Configuration page filters and just used the H+/- and V+/- to control the traffic seen. I quite like using the Radar page to ocassionally see traffic further out and higher but if I want to do that I have to go to the Configuration page first and Display All.

I know, 1st World problems  ;D I appreciate it's quite a niche group who would benefit from the Radar page default filters being Display All and, in my opinion, such a change would be WAY down the list of nice things to do but maybe, one day........ :)