Author Topic: Waiting for device  (Read 8701 times)

ridders

Re: Waiting for device
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2023, 08:21:43 pm »
Well I wish I had read this thread before buying a “Samsung Galaxy A7 Lite” to replace my old iPad. (Skydemon are no longer supporting anything older than IOS10, so my trusty 11 year old ipad used only for SD, has become redundant as its stuck with iOS9)

anyway, as previously described by others, the Samsung tablet is totally unusable with PilotAware Classic, waiting for device pops up in flight at random times when navigating with SD. Most frustrating and totally unusable.

The views I express here are entirely my own and are not intended to represent my employer.

steveu

« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2023, 09:16:42 pm »
Well I wish I had read this thread before buying a “Samsung Galaxy A7 Lite” to replace my old iPad. (Skydemon are no longer supporting anything older than IOS10, so my trusty 11 year old ipad used only for SD, has become redundant as its stuck with iOS9)

I'm led to believe that what Skydemon can support with newer releases is controlled by Apple. It may be an Apple Store restriction that new releases can't go on for versions of iOS unsupported by Apple?

Some manufacturers of Android devices mess about way too much with stock Android, adding their own skins, bloatware and other unwanted crud to the devices.

It's best to stick with something close to vanilla Android, as it will get more use/snagging out in the field that the more exotic, down a rabbit hole rework of the OS used by likes of Oppo.

You may also be able to flash the tablet with something else when it's out of guarantee...

Deker

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2023, 06:19:18 pm »
the Samsung tablet is totally unusable with PilotAware Classic, waiting for device pops up in flight at random times when navigating with SD. Most frustrating and totally unusable.

I agree, it is distracting to the point of being dangerous.

Pingmon worked for me, but it is one more thing to remember to set running before take-orff.

Prior to my last flight I had set up a guest account on my Samsung Android tablet, suggested earlier up the thread.
It was a short flight of 30 min but I didn't get a "waiting for device warning" (ping mon not running) where I'd normally get the message within 10 mins.

I need to uninstall Pingmon and test with again over a few more flights. I'll report back once done.

Deker

ridders

« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2023, 08:47:17 pm »
Ive binned* the Samsung Galaxy A7 Lite because of the disconnects, bought a new iPad Mini, hopefully I can get a good few years out of this one, rather like the last one.

*I've actually given it away
 ;)
The views I express here are entirely my own and are not intended to represent my employer.

Deker

« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2023, 06:57:41 pm »
40min flight on Sunday:
Ping mon not running.
Guest account on my Samsung Tablet.

Rock solid connection without a single "waiting for device".
Will uninstall pingmon and do further tests, after plane comes out of annual, but this looks like a fix.

ATB
Derek.

Brooklands

« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2023, 06:10:33 pm »
It appears that Vic has found the simplest solution to this problem, although I haven't tried it myself yet.  I haven't had any issues when running Pingmon*.

I'm adding this as a postscipt for completeness.

I managed to borrow a Google Pixel phone from a collegue running 'stock' Android 13 and ran it alongside my Samsung Galaxy A7 lite (without Pingmon running)  for about 45 minutes. The Samsung was dropping the connection at random intervals whilst the Google Pixel was rock solid. So it seems that the issue is the customisation(s) that Samsung (and possible other manufacturers) make to the basic Android OS rather than Android itself.

As far as the Samsung goes I suspect it may be the Knox security software as I know from colleagues it causes other issues when used with  work systems

*except the time I hadn't increased the "stop after" interval to 2 hours (I probably ought to set it to never) and the connection dropped as I was nearing my destination

Brooklands

Deker

« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2024, 09:58:20 am »
Now after a good number of flights, I'm confident that the "waiting for device" issue is fixed.

I added guest account to my Android tablet.
Uninstalled Pingmon.

Not had a single connection drop out since adding the guest account and I don't have to remember to set pingmon running.

ATB
Deker