Author Topic: Waiting for device  (Read 8694 times)

skyboy999

Re: Waiting for device
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2023, 08:22:33 am »
Distilling all above, looks like GPS ok and culprit is intermittent WiFi dropouts. Does PAW log this and, if so, how to find?

Deker

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2023, 07:01:35 pm »
I'm leaning in the same direction. I have had a couple of 'Waiting For Device' messages but they did not last very long and auto-connected again. The most recent was after only about 15 minutes. I have a serial connection to my Skyview HDX and traffic remained on the Dynon screen. To add to the confusion, my PAW is served GPS from the HDX and the GPS remained on the HDX, so I do not think it is GPS related.

I'm almost certain it's not GPS related.
With phone and (new) tablet running simultaneous, only the tablet has the problem. Phone is rock solid every flight.
Also, when I use my other (older) tablet in place of the new tablet (same location in the plane) , this also runs without the dropouts.
I think it is an Android version issue (or my tablet is knackered - don't think so as it works fine on my home wifi).

I've tried all the recommendations I can find on internet for wifi dropping but has had no affect, which sort of make me think it is a PAW / android  version incompatibility.

PaulSS

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2023, 10:36:02 pm »
I'll just muddy those waters by saying I have an iPad Mini 4 and not an Android in sight  ???

steveu

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2023, 01:17:27 pm »
I'll just muddy those waters by saying I have an iPad Mini 4 and not an Android in sight  ???

But you can still look at received RF power for the Wifi network...

PaulSS

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2023, 02:47:38 pm »
I realise that but I was responding to Deker's suspicion:

I think it is an Android version issue (or my tablet is knackered - don't think so as it works fine on my home wifi).

I flew yesterday and no snags at all.

Admin

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2023, 08:28:00 am »
I think this issue is unrelated to power
The fact that Deker has a solid client on the apple device, but not on the Android
Points to an issue with the android device I think

Thx Lee

Deker

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2023, 10:12:46 pm »
I think this issue is unrelated to power
The fact that Deker has a solid client on the apple device, but not on the Android
Points to an issue with the android device I think

Thx Lee

To add, flying buddy flew one leg and his iOS (and PAW) functioned perfectly also my phone running SD radar page concurrently.
It appears only to be my new Android tablet that has the issue. My old tablet and current phone, also both android are OK.

ATB
Deker.

Brooklands

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2023, 11:57:09 am »
My experience is similar to Deker's - its fine on my old Nexus 7 running Android 6.  The problem only occurs on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 running Android 13.

The Samsung tablet used to be OK with my Skyecho 2, but last time out I had issues with it losing the connection to the SE2 as well.

I managed to borrow a a Google Pixel running  Android 13 off a colleague for a test on the ground and didn't see any warnings  on the screen with that over about an hour, but was also expecting audio warning and only found out afterwards the volume had been turned down.

I think its an issue with Android 13,or perhaps just Samsungs implementation of it.

Brooklands

I

dave_kent

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2023, 02:45:19 pm »
I'm running a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite (SM-T220) on Android 13, and although I was having problems earlier in the year with "waiting for device" messages, I haven't had any in the last couple of months.  I've reduced the power output of the PAW, as I keep getting the "throttled" message (different problem).

Not sure if this helps.  Happy to check other device settings if people want me to.
Dave

Brooklands

Re: Waiting for device - A Breakthrough ?
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2023, 06:44:58 pm »
I think I have found a kludge/work around for the problem (I hesitate to call it a fix).

I was doing some tests on the ground to try and find out what was happening to the WiFi connection between my Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite (SM-T220)and the PAW.  I downloaded an app called PingMon (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mishuto.pingtest&hl=en&gl=US) to monitor the WiFi connection to see if I could see it dropping.  With Pingmon running and Skydemon connected to the PAW in go flying mode I didn't get any dropouts over the hour I ran the test for.

It also worked fine on my flights to and from Fenland on Saturday.

I need to do some more testing to find the optimum settings.  You need to increase the time Pingmon runs before it stops itself (the default is one hour) but  you can set it to not stop until you close the app.

Brooklands

colled

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2023, 03:56:30 pm »
Hi All, I came on this forum looking for a solution to my "waiting for device" issue and found this topic almost instantly.

This has been happening to me since I updated to Android 13 a few months ago and adding iGrid at the same time so I'm not 100% which is the main cause but I think they are both connected.
It certainly seems that it's related to the tablet looking elsewhere for a wifi connection that can provide internet instead of PAW. The other day it happened on the ground before takeoff and would not reconnect to PAW at all, it couldn't even see it or scan it. I found that it had actually switched to using an open wifi connection on a SkyEcho device on an adjacent aircraft and seemed to have tagged PAW as unusable. I hadn't ask it to look for that, it just moved on it's own accord. I also have the issue regularly in the air and I think it is trying to connect to the mobile phone hotspot that I have setup for iGrid. I've made sure it doesn't have the connection or password for the hotspot saved but I think it still drops the PAW wifi link in order to try it. Sometimes it comes back to PAW after 5 secs or so and sometimes it drops it completely and I need to reboot PAW.

I need to find a way to stop it from dropping the PAW wifi and making it stay with it. I have tried various settings and nothing works so far. Is there a way to make PAW say it provides (spoof) Internet so it doesn't drop?
or is there any other way to sort it out. This is becoming very distracting and quite dangerous in my opinion and always seems to happen to me at just the wrong time. e.g. threading my way through a narrow gap between airspace etc.

I think it will start to affect more and more people in the near future as they get newer android devices or upgrade versions on existing and I think this issue will grow rapidly.

I noticed there is also another "Wifi disappears" topic below so is becoming more prevalent.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 04:05:50 pm by colled »

Admin

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2023, 09:56:06 pm »
Paw does not advertise itself as a router, unless you explicitly select it to on the network page

Skyecho DOES advertise itself as a router, so as you say devices prefer it in order to gain access to the internet, which is totally bogus, as it is not a router

You could enable the router feature AND add passwords to restrict access

colled

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2023, 10:49:27 am »
Fairly sure I tried that already, but I'll try enabling the router setting again to be 100%. I think the new Android versions check for internet traffic as well as basic connection and if no joy sending/receiving data they move on to try another wifi gateway, so would still drop PAW.

Deker

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2023, 07:56:16 pm »
Paw does not advertise itself as a router, unless you explicitly select it to on the network page

Skyecho DOES advertise itself as a router, so as you say devices prefer it in order to gain access to the internet, which is totally bogus, as it is not a router

You could enable the router feature AND add passwords to restrict access

I have router enabled and passworded, I still get "waiting for device".

Deker

Re: Waiting for device - A Breakthrough ?
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2023, 05:14:17 pm »
I think I have found a kludge/work around for the problem (I hesitate to call it a fix).

PingMon (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mishuto.pingtest&hl=en&gl=US)

Brooklands

Hi Brooklands,

I tested with Pingmon running and no "waiting for device" during my 1:15min flight today, hallelujah!! ;D
This does does give further evidence it's a Android 13 'thing', not PAW or hardware issue.
Wonder if PAW can "reverse ping" the tablet to generate the same effect?

ATB
Deker.