Author Topic: Waiting for device  (Read 8696 times)

steveu

Re: Waiting for device
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2023, 09:49:16 pm »
Did you ever check the PAW Wifi output power and try cranking it up a notch?

Admin

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2023, 01:01:35 pm »
Same test but today I got the "waiting for device message" even with GSM connection.
This is becoming a real pain.

Hi Deker,
this is odd isn't it.
let me have a think about what we can do
BTW, what software version are you running - I know you have access to the Beta

was your flight using igrid ?
if so I should be able to access some log information if I can get your MAC Address of your PAW

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 01:08:17 pm by Admin »

Deker

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2023, 05:54:00 pm »
Hi Lee,

I have one of the betas from a couple of weeks ago, I'll check the version, think its 20230512.
the flight should have been using igrid as my phone was set to hotspot but didn't check the PAW page as had Skydemon running.
MAC is B827EB7BC28D.

There were 2 or 3 quick disconnects after about 10 mins and automatically reconnected each time, then a disconnect and after about 15 secs I turned wifi on off on and it was mainly ok for rest of the flight.

The pattern is reasonably repeatable. OK for 10 to 15 mins, then get disconnects which eventually requires a wifi on off on.
Only a problem with my new tablet running android 13.  Phone also on Android 13 is faultless for whole flight.

One difference is phone has active SIM where tablet has GSM capability but I don't have a SIM fitted.

ATB
Deker.

Easy Cruising

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2023, 05:26:43 pm »
I get similar behavior with Pi3b and newest software. using Skydemon I get 'waiting for device' and find that the WiFi hotspot is gone.  WiFi drops out seemingly randomly. Seems to be most often in the early part of a flight though. Sometimes the wifi hotspot of the paw re-appears, sometimes it doesn't and I have to 'reboot' the paw. Then in flight it kind of stabilizes and often the whole flight is ok. Same thing happened several times on Samsung S22+ and Sony Tablet Compact, Android. Same thing happened with a Pi2b and wifi dongle, rather than Pi3b/builtin wifi. Didn't have these problems in the past with Pi2b but now any configuration of hardware seems to result in the same problem. If anyone had similar issues and solved them, please share what you did because it's a mystery for some of us.

Deker

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2023, 06:14:16 pm »
Same problem yesterday, multiple "waiting for device" this is making my PAW effectively useless combo with my Samsung tablet.

Has there been any updates to fix this issue?

TA
Deker

steveu

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2023, 06:30:09 pm »
Has anyone worked through Peter's instructions about Wifi power on the previous page?

Ray Pearce

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2023, 03:01:23 pm »
I have had similar issues with WiFi disappearing - it's not low wifi power, it completely goes until I reboot the Rosetta. The GPS output to my Trig transponder continues to work and it stays connected to my phones hotspot.
I have now bought a new RPi3b to see if this fixes the problem but can't test it as I'm having trouble getting an activation code from support. Emailed with old and new mac addresses on Thursday but no reply and nobody answers the support phone.

Help! Please!

Keithvinning

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2023, 09:32:58 am »
Hi Ray I have sent yu a private message for your details

Thanks

Keith

Ray Pearce

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2023, 06:50:17 pm »
After several longish flights I think I can confirm that replacing the Rasberry Pi has fixed my intermittent loss of WiFi connection and all is right again.
Thanks for the updated activation code.

Deker

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2023, 07:22:48 am »
Couple of flights yesterday.
Wifi was set on 100mw, set this to 50mw
Running Skydemon on my 'bad' tablet and good phone.
Lots of disconnections on the tablet after 10 to 15 mins, but the phone was rock solid.
I think this more of an Android issue than a hardware problem.
I'll try putting a sim in the tablet to see if its is a network problem? (clutching straws)

ATB
Deker

steveu

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2023, 10:17:35 am »
Running Skydemon on my 'bad' tablet and good phone.
Lots of disconnections on the tablet after 10 to 15 mins, but the phone was rock solid.
I think this more of an Android issue than a hardware problem.
I'll try putting a sim in the tablet to see if its is a network problem? (clutching straws)

The SIM may confuse the issue, as if the table connects to the Internet directly over CGNAT it may not see any of the PAW LAN. It might still connect via Wifi though...

I'd suggest that you load the same Wifi analytics app on both phone and tablet. As an example, VREM Software Wifi Analyzer.

Compare them side by side looking at the same Wifi networks. Any noticeable difference in receive power would point to problems in the RF amp or internal antenna damage?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 10:33:47 am by steveu »

steveu

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2023, 10:18:59 am »
App details separate. Attachment limits are very small and difficult to comply with...

skyboy999

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2023, 11:14:22 am »
Following this with interest. Much comment about Android and with/without SIM. I use iPad Mini 4 (with a SIM) and also experience intermittent dropouts reported by SkyDemon so perhaps this rules out Android/SIM. I also have hardwire to a Dynon Skyview which continues to show traffic. I'm making the link here that, if traffic continues to be shown on Skyview, then PAW must have a GPS signal but, for some reason, is not broadcasting it to the iPad. Maybe this helps?

PaulSS

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2023, 10:02:55 pm »
I'm leaning in the same direction. I have had a couple of 'Waiting For Device' messages but they did not last very long and auto-connected again. The most recent was after only about 15 minutes. I have a serial connection to my Skyview HDX and traffic remained on the Dynon screen. To add to the confusion, my PAW is served GPS from the HDX and the GPS remained on the HDX, so I do not think it is GPS related.

steveu

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2023, 10:26:22 pm »
If anyone is concerned about the PAW receiving GPS, they can download the tracklog for the particular flight from the device and upload it to playback.

When scrolling through the tracklog, the number of satellites received at any time will be show IIRC.