Author Topic: Ghosting again  (Read 1058 times)

Paul Winters

Ghosting again
« on: March 25, 2023, 02:41:14 pm »
New aircraft currently test flying with Advanced Flight Systems (Dynon) 5600 and PAW Rosetta hard wired in behind the panel.

Permanent ghost symbol with no ID present beneath our aircraft on the ground and in flight producing continuous audio alerts.

Believe PAW configured correctly so de-powered the Trig transponder to check source of ghost. Ghost remained present until PAW de powered which seems to confirm PAW is the source. PAW is connected to Advanced by cable but tried wifi too, ghost remains.

Odd that PAW does not show the ghost in the traffic list or on the radar?

Connected a hand held device to PAW by wifi and no ghost??

So why is the ghost only showing on the EFIS screen?

Thanks

PaulSS

Re: Ghosting again
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 04:54:58 pm »
Could it be an ATOM station at the airfield?

SteveT

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 11:11:40 am »
Double check the hex code on the pilotaware, This has reset itself on previous firmware upgrades and then creates the ghost.

Ian Melville

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 09:23:25 am »
I am asuming the host aircraft is G-RVBH AKA Hex: 4078C4. Very difficult to read on the images.

I can only see one aircraft on the Dynon screen, is there supposed to be a ghost?

Since the Dynon is seeing a ghost, but not a tablet/phone connected to the PAW via WiFi, that would appear to be a Dynon issue. I wondering if the Dynon is displaying two different NMEA sentences for the position of the host aircraft?

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 03:17:08 am »
Hi Paul W,

Like Ian, I would expect to see your own aircraft displayed on your screen as the ‘reference point’ for the display of other traffic, so assume that’s the yellow one we are seeing on the first screenshot. That’s certainly the way it works with every other Nav Display I am familiar with.

Perhaps our other Dynon users could clarify.

Best Regards
Peter

steveu

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 10:07:12 am »
Suggestion for Dynon users - there is a screen dump function.

For Skyview, it involves having a USB stick in the USB port used for software updates.

With Skyview, and the stick in place, pressing buttons 2 and 7 simultaneously puts a screen dump on the stick, with messages confirming the capture is taking place, and when finished.

Not sure about others, but worth checking.

For diagnostics, set the sampling rate for all parameters to 1 or 2 seconds.

This can be useful for engine diagnostics.

Apologies for slight off topic, but will help Dynon users.

I think the continuous audio alerts gives the game away as a genuine ghost.

Need to double check the ICAO code in both the transponder and PAW.

I have seen a transponder with registration correctly set but ICAO code wrong.

Both ICAO codes must be a 100% match or there is a ghost.

Some people stop in the transponder once the call sign (G-ABCD) is set.

Probably wrong, but would rather be happy than right.

Cheers,

Steve.