Author Topic: Intermittent ATOM screen  (Read 6153 times)

exfirepro

Re: Intermittent ATOM screen
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2023, 10:19:09 am »
Hi Frank,

Thanks for the update.

Yes, a great holiday - India is such a varied country and well worth visiting (we have now been several times).

PilotAware Support was (as always) purely voluntary, when I could get online. The 4G and ‘wired’ Internet Network is (as you would expect) extensive across most of India, but although there was clear evidence of a massive rollout of the fibre-optic network (mostly on poles) under way along almost every roadside, it hasn’t reached some of the more remote villages up in the north-east yet.

We actually got home a fortnight ago, but had a close family death to deal with (which occurred while we were in India) as well as getting my car and plane back ‘on permit’ (long story but both now done), which have kept me off the Forum.

Looking forward to hearing how your upgrades work out!

Best Regards

Peter

trident

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2023, 10:11:03 pm »
Hi Peter,

Glad you had a good holiday and got home safely.

I've never been to India, but it seems to be a country of real extremes. A work colleague went a few years ago and unfortunately lost 5 stone in weight due to a severe case of delly belly. I'm sure it is an incredible place to visit, but my wife isn't keen so it's not on our list.
OK about the internet and 4G connectivity out there. We could do with some of that investment around here as we're stuck with about 5MB ADSL and no prospect of any improvement in the foreseeable future.

I've got rid of the powerline adapters, relocated the router/bridge in the house and put up a hi-gain 2.4GHz panel aerial on the barn for the wi-fi link. Next job when I get a chance is to sort-out the 5V regulator to get rid of the undervoltage reported by the Pi. Hopefully that will sort out my problem, but I've noticed we get complete loss of our wi-fi signal fairly regularly which I believe may be down to "something" interfering, possibly from the Holbeach air weapons range a few miles north of here. I'll have to fire up the Spectrum Analyser and see what I can find.

I'll update you as soon as I've got some more news.

Best regards,

Frank.

steveu

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2023, 10:18:11 pm »
I've got rid of the powerline adapters, relocated the router/bridge in the house and put up a hi-gain 2.4GHz panel aerial on the barn for the wi-fi link. Next job when I get a chance is to sort-out the 5V regulator to get rid of the undervoltage reported by the Pi. Hopefully that will sort out my problem, but I've noticed we get complete loss of our wi-fi signal fairly regularly which I believe may be down to "something" interfering, possibly from the Holbeach air weapons range a few miles north of here. I'll have to fire up the Spectrum Analyser and see what I can find.

We obviously have very different life experiences but I'd choose Powerline over WiFi any time...

trident

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2023, 02:01:38 pm »
Hi Steve,

Not sure what you mean by different life experiences?

I have to use a WiFi link, otherwise I would have to dig a 100 metre trench to lay a cable to reach the barn where the OGN-R station is set up. Removing the power line adapters takes out another possible bottleneck in the current link.

Regards,

Frank.

steveu

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2023, 02:41:30 pm »
Hi Steve,

Not sure what you mean by different life experiences?

I have to use a WiFi link, otherwise I would have to dig a 100 metre trench to lay a cable to reach the barn where the OGN-R station is set up. Removing the power line adapters takes out another possible bottleneck in the current link.

Regards,

Frank.

You got rid of the powerline adaptors, what did you replace that part of the network with?

trident

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2023, 11:21:28 pm »
Hi Steve,

Originally the house-side bridge/router was located in the corner of the kitchen extension which was physically the closest point to the barn, but I had to use the powerline adapters to feed the network from the internet router in the study. Now the bridge/router is located in the study alongside the internet router, but the high-gain aerial on the barn is pointing directly at the study, so there's one less link in the data chain. I originally tried the powerline adapters between the house and the barn but the link was very unreliable, hence the wifi link solution.

Unfortunately I've not yet had time to replace the 5V regulator which feeds the Pi to cure the undervoltage flag, but hopefully that will get done soon.

Frank.

trident

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2023, 09:57:58 pm »
Oh Well, PWLongSut was down for a couple of weeks due to hardware failure of one of the routers I use for the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi bridge between the barn and the study. I've finally managed to get another compatible router to set to the correct parameters and it's up and running again at long last. I think I'll have to find another router as a spare just in case....

Regards all,

Frank.

PS. I still haven't had a chance to sort out the undervoltage issue yet, but hopefully very soon :)