Author Topic: Release 20151107 Unsupported platform error  (Read 8237 times)

tomstorey

Release 20151107 Unsupported platform error
« on: November 08, 2015, 05:24:09 pm »
My PAW was working fine on Android and ios but on updating I get:
Error unsupported platform is this a PiB+?
expected ARMv6 - compatible got HW = ARMv7
ARMv7
Suggestions please - nothing too techie plse!
Tom

Admin

Re: Release 20151107 Unsupported platform error
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 05:27:04 pm »
Hi Tom

Do you have a Pi 2, or Pi B+ ?

This error indicates it is a Pi 2, which should never have worked, all I did was add the check to see what the hardware was.

What I really want to know, if you had this working on a Pi 2, how did you manage that ?

The main issue has been the configuration of the WiFi dongle, so if you had this working it would lead me to believe that you are using a different WiFi dongle

I am really intrigued how you had this working on a Pi 2  ???

I can probably turn this error to a warning, which would get you working again.

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 05:46:12 pm by Admin »

tomstorey

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 06:34:58 pm »
Lee,
On investigation I find I have a Pi 2 Model B V1.1
Presumably I should upgrade to the B+?
best regards
Tom

Admin

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 07:48:24 pm »
Lee,
On investigation I find I have a Pi 2 Model B V1.1
Presumably I should upgrade to the B+?
best regards
Tom

Hi Tom
Its actually a downgrade,
Can I confirm it really worked on this previously, this amazes me.
Thx
Lee

tomstorey

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 08:03:49 pm »
Lee,
Using SkyDemon on my Nexus7 with internal GPS I could see the returns round gatwick and into the Channel.  When I got my GPS dongle it worked on my old ipad yesterday just before I upgraded.  I don't understand how or why but it seemed OK to me!
thanks
Tom

Admin

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 09:18:26 am »
Hi Tom,

I intend to back this off from an Error, to a Warning.
This means the boot process will succeed and it will work (as before) on your device.
I am still totally confused how this works, and would like to get some further information if possible ?

Thx
Lee

colinmackenzie

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 12:53:10 pm »
Hi Lee,

After reading the above last night, I thought I'd try the latest Pi 2 with the bits from my Pi B+.

Unfortunately, I was unable to get as far as Tom. Couldn't get the iPad to even 'see' the PAW hotspot!

I'll give it a try when I get home with a Nexus 7.

Colin

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 02:04:05 pm »
Same problem I had with Alan the other day with his Pi 2.

Maybe a different Wifi dongle works with it?

Admin

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 02:43:52 pm »
Same problem I had with Alan the other day with his Pi 2.
Maybe a different Wifi dongle works with it?

Yes I agree, its something aboutthe WiFi dongle.
Tom can you provide some information regarding the WiFi dongle you are using, maybe a picture, and a link to where it was purchased ?

Thx
Lee

Mig29fuk

• G-MYUP. White Ox Mead Airstrip. Near Bath
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 06:38:53 pm »
Just ran up a P2 with two different WiFi dongles but the software runs to a failure of Processor type.
It knows it's a Pi2 Arm 7 and not the B+ Arm 6.
Looks like it stays on the bucket list Lee!
G-MYUP
White Ox Mead Airstrip
Bath. England

rv12uk

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 07:03:20 pm »
Just to add to the list I also have a reported ARM7 PI (The Pi was a gift so I wasn't sure what version it was). On the previous software it ran but had lots of problems with connections/dropouts and sometimes needed a few boots to get the wifi hotspot working.

On the occasions I could connect it worked ok for short periods before dropping out again.

I had assumed this was a dodgy power supply or wifi dongle as I didn't realise it was the wrong chipset ( I didn't expect it to work at all on the newer version, the intermittent working fooled me into thinking it was something else that was wrong).

I guess I will shelve mine for a while (I'm assuming that once it is working ok on the current hardware it will, at some point in the future, be updated to the later models). I probably won't be flying for a while so there isn't much point in buying another PI at the moment.

Still interested in the project.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 01:14:49 am »
Jon, you seem to have the exact same symptoms as Alan, who I went round to help investigate the other day, had, and found they'd sent him a Pi 2. It was intermittently being able to connect briefly after startup which was the curve ball as the Americans say!

Admin

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 09:52:11 am »
Hi All,

Regarding PI 2, this is exactly why I put the check in during the boot.
I handled a lot of issues in the past, and after having dug in deeply over a long period of time, it would emerge that the PI in use was a PI 2, not a PI B+.
Hopefully this will catch this problem earlier.

At some point we need to support the PI 2, but that is for another day once the WiFi Drivers(for SoftAP) seem to be fixed

Thx
Lee

tomstorey

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 06:04:57 pm »
Sorry, I haven't been looking at this for a couple of days.  From the descriptions of some other attempts with the Pi2 and its intermittent operation or dropping out etc it could be that mine was doing this as well. I have 2 wifi dongles the one that works best has 802.11n on the end if that means anything.

I'm going to change to a Pi B+ ( which I actually thought I had ordered but obviously only looked at the 'B')  Apologies for the diversion.
thanks for all the help
Tom

Admin

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 06:08:23 pm »
Hi Tom

I guess the good thing this has uncovered, is that a lot of the issues were actually purely down to the version of PI, I had been concerned it was caused by an undiscovered bug, the Pi 2 issue has always been known.
So at least the check has weeded this problem from being 'suspected unreliable behavior'

Thx
Lee