Author Topic: Vector page not displaying the important bit!  (Read 1533 times)

grahambaker

Vector page not displaying the important bit!
« on: February 23, 2023, 05:51:40 pm »
I can't seem to get Vector to work, whichever browser I use.

Is it just me?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 07:24:43 pm by grahambaker »

steveu

Re: Vector page not displaying the imporatnt bit!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 06:19:45 pm »
It's working for me. Just tested it now using my ICAO code in my Skyranger + PAW.

I assume as you're an experienced bod, that you are using the correct ICAO code, and that your PAW or other device has the correct ICAO code entered?

That said device did not lose the stored code as a result of a software upgrade?

That you waited until the page fully loaded before trying to use it? It took a long time for me...

Apologies if the suggestions are stupid...

grahambaker

Re: Vector page not displaying the important bit!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 07:11:24 pm »
That you waited until the page fully loaded before trying to use it? It took a long time for me...
That’s the problem. After 10 minutes I got bored!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 07:24:59 pm by grahambaker »

steveu

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 09:02:36 pm »
That’s the problem. After 10 minutes I got bored!

Ah, I was thinking more about 20 seconds - waited for the fully loaded page, then stuck in my ICAO code...

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 08:01:36 am »
Hi Both,

Sorry, I wasn't about yesterday and have just seen this.

Tried accessing Vector. If I access it via the ATOM-GRID Database link (only available to Admins or ATOM Station Owners/Maintainers), it still works fine, but when I try to access it via the 'Vector' links on 'pilotaware.com' - https://www.pilotaware.com/analysis/vector - (the normal 'Public Access' route) it initially displayed the coverage for my Hex ID for 'All Modes', and changed when I selected 'PilotAware and pressed 'GO', then froze when I tried to change the selection to Flarm - and Yes, I did press 'Go' again - and waited!

I know Chris has been doing a lot of work restructuring the database this week, so will bring this to his attention. I suspect the links from the pilotaware.com site have got broken somewhere. Please bear with us while we investigate.

Best Regards

Peter

grahambaker

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2023, 09:18:58 am »
Thanks Peter.

On another point, once I actually got in (it worked fine from that point) I noticed plots for a day when I didn’t fly.

The aircraft is my own, and I definitely didn’t fly that day, but there are ADSB and PAW plots at very short range in the 12 and 6 o’clock positions.

Can the location be determined from the database? There are a couple of possible explanations, neither of which would be down to me (I think!).

4019F9 on 22/2/23.

steveu

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2023, 09:32:40 am »
Can the location be determined from the database? There are a couple of possible explanations, neither of which would be down to me (I think!).

4019F9 on 22/2/23.

I looked at https://playback.pilotaware.com/playback/groundstations with your ICAO code but couldn't see anything...

grahambaker

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2023, 10:25:53 am »
I looked at https://playback.pilotaware.com/playback/groundstations with your ICAO code but couldn't see anything...
That's interesting - using your link and a three hour window I found a target at 3am at altitude 3489ft near Telford!

Only picked up by PWCaradoc though, no other stations. What's really interesting is I flew exactly that track the following day (yesterday) early afternoon, at that altitude. It suggests to me that PWCaradoc has had a whoopsy.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 10:34:46 am by grahambaker »

steveu

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2023, 11:01:47 am »

That's interesting - using your link and a three hour window I found a target at 3am at altitude 3489ft near Telford!

Failure on my part, only checked daylight hours... lesson learned, whoopsy can be at any time of day...

Edited to add -

I have seen a mode S transponder where only the call sign was entered correctly,  ICAO code entered incorrectly, was not possible to track the aircraft on FR24 type sites...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 11:03:56 am by steveu »

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2023, 09:07:55 am »
Hi Graham,

Sorry - busy again yesterday.

Yes, aircraft locations can be determined from the database by searching 'My Plane' by Hex ID (provided the correct Hex ID is installed in both PAW and Transponder of course). I have just had a look and there are plenty of PAW and ADSB records for 4019F9 from multiple sites (and reported by other aircraft via iGRID) from the 20th and 23rd of February, but none whatsoever for that Hex ID from the 22nd, so not sure why Vector should be reporting data for that date.

I have also had a look at the playback, which definitely shows an aircraft with that HexID appearing suddenly just south of Newport at about 03:58 on the 22nd, then flying east to west past to the south of PWCaradoc at a pretty steady straight and level 3,800ft or so before disappearing just as suddenly as it appeared at about 04:09 - though none of this is showing on the PAW database (or at least not where I can find it).

As I mentioned above, I know Chris has been working to improve and refine the data collection and review functions over the past couple of weeks, so that might have something to do with what we are seeing. If this is the case, apologies for any confusion.

Best Regards

Peter

grahambaker

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2023, 11:30:59 am »
Thanks Peter. It’s reassuring to know someone hadn’t nicked my aircraft to do some moonlighting in it!