Author Topic: USB output messages and iGrid  (Read 2015 times)

russp

USB output messages and iGrid
« on: January 20, 2023, 09:07:20 pm »
I have a question about the messages sent in the usb output - I'm using usb out to feed a Dynon Skyview and I'm getting intermitent errors with the dynon showing a Flarm error (it thinks the PAW feed is flarm (same protocol) as it's not clever enough to know about PAW being from across the pond). I've changed every cable in the train and the Raspberry Pi and I've now ruled out a hardware issue. It only happens when airborne and only when connected to iGrid .. I'm fairly sure its coincident with the PAW dropping and reacquiring the iGrid connection (co-incident with the colour on the radar page icon going from green to orange (though I need to do more testing to confirm this 100%) . The only thing I can think now is that when this happens PAW is sending a message in the feed through the usb connection with some sort of disconnect code that the dynon interprets as an error. It's making the system unusable - I can't use iGrid and the output to the Dynon at the same time - It's either or at the moment and I really want to use iGrid.

Does the air to air relay work without an iGrid (mobile hotspot connection)?

Can the techies here confirm my suspicion and if so is it possible to suppress this message PLEASE.. :) 

exfirepro

Re: USB output messages and iGrid
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 08:03:35 am »
Hi Russ,

Sorry, I can't  answer your question about exactly what (technically) is sent in each of the USB outputs, but I recall that Lee did some experimental work a while back to pass Flarm alerts received from a directly interlinked Flarm Device through to associated Flarm Displays, so that might have a bearing on what you are experiencing. 'Traffic Dynon' and 'Flarm Out' are in effect the same thing. I'm sure Lee will be interested to find out what is going on here. He might well ask you to supply your track file(s) for analysis. Hopefully he will be along shortly and can advise.

Air-to-Air Relay (SkyGRID) works independently of iGRID, so will still work without iGRID (it did before iGRID was introduced), though of course outwith ATOM Ground Station Coverage, your unit will have much less information to relay, so it would be good to resolve the issue rather than simply shut down your iGRID.

I will await Lee's comments with interest.

Best Regards
Peter

russp

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 12:44:25 pm »
Thanks for that Peter, one question though, even without iGrid I'm presumably still getting ATOM ground station connection directly?
Russ

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 01:11:42 pm »
Yes, providing you are in range of at least one ATOM station and not obscured by topography or bits of aircraft.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 02:35:53 pm »
Hi Russ

I will see if I can reproduce what you are reporting.
can I ask what version you are running ?

Also can you let me have the exact settings configured for the flarm out

Thx
Lee

russp

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 06:49:44 pm »
Hi Russ

Thx
Lee

I'll get the info from the PAW when I'm at the Airfield Mon/Tues  - Cheers

russp

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2023, 08:04:35 pm »
Hi Russ

Thx
Lee

I've been running Version 20220101 - (I did update to 20220805 after landing today after I realised there was an update)
Flarm Out is configured as "Flarm-OUT" and 115200 (although I've tried 57,600 with the same results)
Device Connect Setting is Pilotaware(UDP)

Does that give you what you need?
Russ

Admin

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2023, 09:31:54 pm »
Hi Russ
Did update make a difference, or have you not had chance to try
There were issues with the igrid dongle with the version you were using

I monitored the messages with and without igrid, and there was no effect

Thx
Lee

russp

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023, 11:59:14 am »
Only did update after landing - will monitor and report back after next flight ..

BobD

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2023, 10:19:54 am »
After a  medical grounding for 6 months, I started flying again this week, and have the same issue that RussP had reported, intermittent  Traffic Fail messages on my Skyview. Annoying, nagging warning mesages (both audio and visual) are produced. Primary display of contacts on SkyDemon is not affected.  I am using  version 20220805.

Was a solution to the problem found ?

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2023, 02:16:45 pm »
Hi Bob and Welcome back,

I'm guessing Lee won't have progressed this any further in view of his post of 23rd January where he reports that he was unable to recreate the issue reported, and the lack of any further response from @russp since then.

If you are still running PAW Version 20220805, that is well behind the curve - so I suggest you update to the latest public release (20230316) and see if that sorts out your problem.

Please let us know.

Best Regards

Peter

BobD

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2023, 07:57:56 am »
Hi Peter,
Thanks for the response. I was under the mistaken impression that my software was up yo date, but following your suggestion,  I've just downloaded the latest version.  I'll be flying tomorrow or Friday, so I'll report back after that.
Cheers
BobD

BobD

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2023, 06:12:14 am »
I ipdated the software to the latest version (20230316) and had three separate flights yesterday. No problems,  so it looks like the update has done the trick. Thanks Peter.

exfirepro

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2023, 09:44:01 am »
Thanks Bob,

Hopefully that has solved the issue for @russp too.

Best Regards

Peter