Author Topic: Wi-Fi loss after reset / reload  (Read 1058 times)

Ablack

Wi-Fi loss after reset / reload
« on: June 09, 2023, 06:22:13 pm »

I have a PAW classic which has been working well. I tried to update the latest version of the operating system, but it kept indicating ‘update available’. I then set the system to reset and reload to see if this would solve the problem. The WiFi link to the unit then dropped out and I can no longer do anything with it. Any advice would be welcome.
Alan

Sent from my iPad

steveu

Re: Wi-Fi loss after reset / reload
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 09:06:33 pm »
After a reset and reload the unit will need to left powered up for a very low time whilst it does the necessary.

Often, people do not leave the unit for long enough to finish the reinstall.

If you look at the HDMI output the machine will get to a login prompt after this time has elapsed and the default wireless network should have been restored. Then you can access it.

Worth looking here:

https://www.pilotaware.com/knowledgebase/troubleshooting

Wait until the lights have settled down if the Classic has them?

If it looks like everything is Donald Ducked, then look here:

https://www.pilotaware.com/knowledgebase/manual-software-update

Ablack

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2023, 11:52:19 am »
Thanks for all the help. Now all back up and running after leaving it to boot up for a good 20 minutes or more. Guess I was just too impatient / panicked!
Alan

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 02:31:21 pm »
Hi Alan,

Thanks for letting us know.

You don't say which version of software you were trying to update from and to or the update method you were using. Please let us know as this might be significant to what occurred.

You were lucky - although the 'unpack' phase of an update should only take 5-10 minutes at most, it can take longer. Powering down or rebooting during this process can easily corrupt the microSD card, which then requires a full overwrite reformat of the card and reload of the software from scratch. The trick is to wait until the WiFi Hotspot reappears on your tablet or phone, or (as Steve has said) where there is a suspicion that all hasn't gone smoothly (such as if the WiFi Hotspot doesn't reappear), wait 20minutes or so, then connect the unit via its HDMI port to a monitor or TV before rebooting it. This allows the progress to be monitored to the point where the software reaches its 'login prompt', which identifies that the update or install has been successful. (You don't actually 'log in' but at that point can remove the HDMI / monitor.)

Best Regards

Peter