Author Topic: National Standard for EC  (Read 1781 times)

Ian Melville

National Standard for EC
« on: December 22, 2022, 12:08:15 pm »
Any thoughts on where this is going and the impact on PilotAware?

Christmas Cheers
Ian

steveu

Re: National Standard for EC
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 09:37:19 am »
Authority wants EC for control, more than for safety, therefore as per the very latest CAA publication, they want something certified, as that's where total control comes from.

An example is ICAO codes, if you use a device with OfCom control, then there is only one ICAO code you're allowed, and if you don't have one via G-INFO, you must get one from the CAA.

CAA paper by EGIS (egis - very ee cummings) is here:

https://www.caa.co.uk/news/joint-statement-from-caa-dft-on-the-development-of-a-national-standard-for-electronic-conspicuity/

Phase 1 is 216 pages, and there's another two documents.

If you want PAW for your own situational awareness, no change, and developments promised in an email are promising.

If you're hoping that you're be joining the transponder posse with zone transits, don't hold your breath..

Admin

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 02:28:49 pm »
I especially like the section that says typical range of a skyecho is
40 nm
In what alternate reality is that ?

Even with 12db gain antenna, on the ground we rarely see 5nm
I would like to know the source of that data

steveu

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 02:59:40 pm »
I especially like the section that says typical range of a skyecho is
40 nm
In what alternate reality is that ?

Even with 12db gain antenna, on the ground we rarely see 5nm
I would like to know the source of that data

It doesn't need to be data, it can be marketing, belief or wishful thinking...  ;)

In the end, the Goodwood trial showed what they wanted to deploy, not only what they wished to try.

If it's possible to add 978MHz receive to my device, I'll be happy...  ;)

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 10:55:56 am »
Hi Steve,

Happy New Year!

If it's possible to add 978MHz receive to my device, I'll be happy...  ;)

We did 978MHz Rx as a dual band addition to 1090MHz Rx when SD/UAvionix were doing their original Weather Trials a few years back. A dead easy 'MOD' at the time simply by popping in a second SDR and either adding an extra antenna or using a 'splitter' to cover both Rx SDRs off a single 978* antenna (after Lee did the necessary dual-frequency software modification of course). Predictably, the trial 978MHz transmitters were all way down south, at SD HQ, Goodwood and a few sites round London including Redhill IIRC, so I only managed a couple of test flights on my way to and from Popham that year and wasn't particularly impressed at the time as it seemed to take ages to upload a full weather picture, then the trial was dropped, so we moved on and I took the extra SDR and splitter back out.

* Because of the relatively low 978MHz signal strength, we opted to use a tuned 978MHz antenna which still performed OK on 1090MHz

It should be fairly simple to go back to, though there might be an issue for those who are using PAW to provide 'ADSB Out' via transponders, since we are now using the 'spare' USB port for iGRID, but I'm sure we could sort something out if 978 becomes more relevant again.

Best Regards as always

Peter
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 11:19:03 am by exfirepro »