Author Topic: Intermittent Rosetta MicroUSB Power Socket  (Read 1578 times)

Julian

Intermittent Rosetta MicroUSB Power Socket
« on: January 04, 2023, 08:54:18 pm »
Hello,
I look to be suffering from a intermittent micro USB Power Socket on my Rosetta. What suggestions are there for alternative means of connecting power (I use an Anker Powerbank). It certainly doesn't feel good and if I wiggle things the Pi appears to go off/on - it is the socket on the Rosetta/Pi not the power lead at fault. I was thinking of adding a better style of power socket and soldering to the 40 pin header on the Pi (or the pins on the micro usb socket - but the header is easier!) Has anyone done this? Any advice? Reverse protection diode & thermal fuse?
Thanks,
Julian
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 10:18:28 pm by exfirepro »

Seanhump

Re: Intermittent Rosetta USB Power Socket
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 09:23:23 am »
I power one of mine through the pins on the bridge .. the USB socket on the Pi is a weak spot, even with a guard installed to protect it ...
Pilotaware user ...

grahambaker

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 10:10:54 am »
Before you go to the trouble, just make sure that the Micro SD card is seated properly.

I had a couple of apparent intermittent power problems last week, which I traced to the SD card needing pulling out and reseating. Been fine so far since.

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 10:29:11 am »
Good point Graham!

Julian,

I always try to avoid unplugging the power cable at the microUSB end to minimise the possibility of damaging the socket (which is definitely a weak point on the earlier version Raspberry Pi's). I have in the past 'improved' the grip on several loose sockets for myself and other users by gently squeezing the socket back into shape with small pliers, but that requires disassembling the PilotAware and very careful adjustment, and doesn't always work. I have described the process several times on here before - see this previous thread here as an example if you want to give it a try....

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,1885.msg20358.html#msg20358

If the connection can be 'stabilised' as above, it would then be worth securing the connector in place by the careful addition of either a blob of silicone or hot glue applied very carefully around the connector to hold it in position. I still have a PAW Classic that was repaired this way several years ago, which still runs with its original power cable!

Alternative options -
If you know what you are doing, you could power the unit via the Bridge as suggested by Sean, or you could replace the Raspberry Pi if you can find a replacement (they are still rarer than hen's teeth with the worldwide chip shortage though), or you could try contacting Jeremy Curtis (of Charge4 fame) who has fitted replacement microUSB sockets for several PAW users (including myself) in the past (you can PM him from his JCurtis posts in the thread linked above).

Please let us know how you get on.

Best Regards

Peter

Julian

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 03:15:58 pm »
Thanks everyone, I will take a look over the weekend and report back.

Julian

Re: Intermittent Rosetta MicroUSB Power Socket
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2023, 07:02:53 pm »
Thanks everyone. The micro usb connector was the issue (very out of shape), I thought I had repaired it but it was still occasionally intermittent. Plan B was to hard wire a usb lead onto the bridge - fed in via a grommet. The first USB lead I sacrificed was not good enough and reported voltage errors so tried another - much better 5v wire but no 0v wire other than the screen so pig-tailed off that. So far looks much better - not intermittent and no volts errors that I was regularly seeing, I wait to see what happens next time I fly. If anyone else does this, the wires in usb leads are very poor pvc, I pig-tailed ptfe wire to try and avoid melted insulation and short circuits. Raspberry Pi's are brilliant (if you can get them), if only they had a more robust power connector.

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2023, 11:08:43 pm »
Hi Julian,

Thanks for the update. Good to know it was the microUSB connector that was causing the problem.

Your repair looks very neat, however I would have fed the power in via the '+5v and GND 'IN' points on the Bridge which were specifically designed to feed power into the system via a polyfuse on the underside of the board, which is a safer option.

Other than that, a very neat job.

Best Regards

Peter

PaulSS

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2023, 11:59:31 pm »
Probably a neater solution than a hot glue gun at the micro USB but it's worked very well so far. Permanent installation since May 2020.

Julian

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 10:19:29 pm »
I wasnt totally sure about the points marked 5V and GND In and if they were to power the whole unit or not so used the header pins that I was sure about (used on other Pi's) - if these pads route via some protection I may well re-wire it. Thanks for the info.

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 09:41:35 am »
Hi Julian,

Just for info...

The +5v and GND IN and OUT points were added to the Bridge board when it was redesigned for the move from the PAW Classic to Rosetta to accommodate the internal mount and patch cable for the 1090MHz antenna, as we had thoughts at the time about reverse-powering the unit via an internal patch cable and LEMO 2-pin Power Connector (the prototype boards even had connecting pins fitted). This would of course also have required the sourcing and fitting of an appropriate patch lead and LEMO socket to the case and sourcing and supply of a suitable USB to LEMO Power Cable (which would have had to be made to suit). It was decided that this would have overcomplicated production of the units (they are all individually hand assembled) as well as adding significantly to the cost, so the option was put on the back burner. The Polyfuse (which is visible on the underside of the Bridge board) was however added at the time to protect the 'Power In' side should these feed-in points be utilised later.

The Power Out points were also added to the board design at the same time to allow for external accessories (such as fans) should they be required. (We were at the time also experimenting with running dual SDRs to pick up weather etc on 978MHz and it was thought that this additional load might require positive cooling of the units). I would however recommend careful thought (and ideally consulting with us) before adding any additional equipment via these points to avoid potentially overdrawing the power supply, which would significantly affect the operation of the unit.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Peter

« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 10:06:56 am by exfirepro »

Julian

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2023, 07:19:32 pm »
Hi Peter,
Thanks for the info, I will change my wiring over the weekend, I like the idea of making use of the polyfuse. It is certainly a very well thought out product.
Your help has been much appreciated.
Julian

exfirepro

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2023, 04:28:15 pm »
Thanks Julian,

You are very welcome.

Best Regards

Peter