Author Topic: Corrupted track files?  (Read 1513 times)

Smaragd

Corrupted track files?
« on: November 13, 2022, 10:22:55 pm »
I attach a couple of recent track files (4 November, 12:11 onwards, 40263C). The flights are accurately shown on Aircrew Groundstation Playback. However on Aircrew Playback for the first flight there are discontinuities in height and the latter part of the flight is not displayed, and for the second track file Aircrew says "Error loading flight".  Any suggestions? I have only loaded the first part of the second track file to stay within 512KB.

exfirepro

Re: Corrupted track files?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 02:53:06 pm »
Hi Trevor,

I did look into this a few days back when I first saw your post, but not sure what is causing it. I was hoping Lee might have responded.

For my part, I have checked the database for the date concerned and there are loads of reports from your flights (both PAW and ADSB) from a wide range of ground stations (sometimes up to 6 or 7 at a time) which is why groundstation playback replays properly, so your systems must have been working. But there definitely seems to be something missing or corrupted in your track files which is causing the track replay to show as ‘level flight’ with sudden altitude fluctuations.

I know we have seen this before during testing, where the altitude suddenly reports as much higher or lower than the actual altitude. This artificially compresses the replay track, making it look like you have been flying level except for the sudden jumps, but unfortunately I can’t recall what the cause (or solution) was. Hopefully this will prompt someone reading this and they will come on and remind me.

The only things I can suggest from what you’ve posted is to check that your GPS and PAW Bridge are both seated correctly, though either of those would have affected the groundstation reports too, so unlikely.

Let me know if you find anything. In the meantime I’ll keep racking my brain to see if I can recollect what the earlier problem (and solution) was.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 04:05:44 pm by exfirepro »

Smaragd

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 09:48:42 pm »
Thank you Peter. I did wonder about the bridge/GPS, but like you could no see how I could have perfect ground tracking (and no problems that I could see on my display. Also it's not just the jump/interrupted height but also that the second flight will not even load onto Aircrew Playback. Should be flying on Saturday so may have more information then.

Best regards,

Trevor

Admin

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 10:20:44 pm »
I think this is an issue with dos line endings
If you have access to linux, can you try running the file through “dos2unix”
This fixed another file I saw loaded into aircrew

Smaragd

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 08:43:47 am »
Sorry, no access to Linux.

Admin

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2022, 03:55:39 pm »
@smaragd

I notice you are not running the most upto date release right now which is 20220805

There were some fixes associated with logging, can you update and see if this resolves this issue ?

thx
Lee

Smaragd

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 09:52:49 pm »
Thanks Lee, had overlooked that release. However flew yesterday and had a sensible download.

SGS66

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 12:22:43 am »
i also have experienced corrupted trk files for a couple of months and i am using 20220805. The corruption being obvious if i upload to aircrew.

The corruption causes the trk files to be small. An hour flight has a trk file of 350kb say instead of 4mb.

I have deleted all my trk files on the micro SD card so that the maximum space is available, but this does not help. Maybe my micro SD disk is somehow corrupt.

PAW seems to be working ok warning me of traffic, it is just not making a proper trk file.

There is no error msg which seems odd to me as something is going wrong when records are being written to disk,
 and hundreds of records per flight are going astray.

Smaragd

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2023, 05:14:27 pm »
Just to follow up on my earlier reports, flew today with 22020805 and had a perfect track file.