Author Topic: Dead PilotAware  (Read 1728 times)

grahambaker

Dead PilotAware
« on: November 04, 2022, 05:18:17 pm »
My Rosetta failed to start up for the first time today. Despite swapping power from panel power to Anker, unplugging and re-plugging the power lead several times, it had resolutely decided not to play.

I have it at home now, with covers off, and the situation is as follows:

- when powering up the red led next to the power socket remains red
- the green led on the GPS module will flash once on power up
- the green led adjacent to the red one may flash once, but not every time
- I once saw something else flash green three times
- juggling the micro USB plug doesn’t affect the red led
- applying pressure in different places to the Briidge board may cause the red led to blink off and come back on again.

I’ve unplugged and reseated the bridge to no avail.

Any suggestions?

mariko

Re: Dead PilotAware
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 05:55:37 pm »
I think you need a brand new SD card.
Ciao
  Mariko

grahambaker

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 09:06:13 am »
I think you need a brand new SD card.
I've now reformatted the card and done a fresh reinstall. No change.

Admin

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 09:25:25 am »
Hi Graham
The unit has an hdmi socket near to the power socket
Are you able to connect to a monitor/tv. This should give an indication of whether the main board is alive or dead
Thx
Lee

grahambaker

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 03:52:15 pm »
Thanks Lee.

I connected a monitor, and briefly got a PAW splash screen with what looked like a progress bar at a low state of completion, then things stopped and the screen blanked. I left it for several more minutes and nothing happened.

On checking the SD card, it had started unpacking the files, as there was more on it than after a fresh download. I've subsequently tried two different freshly formatted cards with clean downloads and I can't get the box to do anything now, even after removing and reseating the bridge.

On power up, it now consistently flashes the green LEDs by the power socket and on the GPS chip once, the bridge green LED flashes three times, and the red power LED stays on, but absolutely nothing happens.

AlanG

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2022, 07:10:49 pm »
You could try removing the dongles one at a time to see if you can get it to reload the software.  I'd start with the 1090 dongle.

Regards
Alan

grahambaker

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2022, 10:22:41 am »
You could try removing the dongles one at a time to see if you can get it to reload the software.  I'd start with the 1090 dongle.
Well, that seems to have done the trick! :) All now up and running again.

One thing worth pointing out - I made things more difficult for myself by renaming the spare SD cards I was using to PILOTAWARE1 and PILOTAWARE2 to help distinguish between the two. The box doesn't like this - reformatting and reinstalling on the original card, named RECOVERY, was what the box wanted to see.

Thanks to all for the help.

AlanG

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2022, 08:45:31 pm »

Well done Graham, if you get a re-occurrence of this problem it is likely the 1090 dongle needs to be replaced.
(assuming that was the one you removed first and had the desired effect.)

Regards
Alan

Admin

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2022, 08:55:05 pm »
I dont quite understand the fault
Was it the sd card or the dongle ?
And if the dongle there is still an issue to be replaced?

Thx
Lee

grahambaker

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2022, 11:08:59 pm »
I can’t say I understand the fault either.  :)

1) everything stopped working
2) a fresh reinstall of the software didn’t work - the box wouldn’t unpack the software
3) once I’d removed both dongles the box unpacked the software.
4) dongles reattached, box restarted and everything works fine.

steveu

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2022, 10:15:35 am »
Sounds like the extra processor load for the unpacking takes the Pi over the PSU edge, if the PSU is 100%, I'm guessing that the dongle(s) are on the way out as they are getting a bit too power hungry and warm, next time it fails to boot and one of them is removed, this may be the suspect...

AlanG

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2022, 08:09:23 pm »

Ah, Graham
From your answer to my suggestion I assumed you had succeeded after removing just the 1090 dongle.
If you removed them both at the same time it does not isolate which dongle may be the cause.  Having said that, I would still think that the 1090 is the most likely culprit, having had one fail in the past myself and anecdotally know of others.  Some do tend to run a little hotter than others which may have some bearing on their power draw.

Regards
Alan