Author Topic: Aircrew Instrument Firmware Update  (Read 4069 times)

exfirepro

Re: Aircrew Instrument Firmware Update
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2022, 08:30:28 am »
Hi Bob,

The problem is that the USB connection option uses the FLARM protocol from PAW, which only sends the Hex ID to Aircrew. If you want to see aircraft registrations, you need to use the WiFi data option - see page 17 of the Aircrew Manual here... https://aircrew.co.uk/downloads/Manual.pdf

Ideally, you should power your Aircrew from a separate USB (or 12 volt) supply* (which also reduces the power load on your PAW and frees up a slot for iGRID). Your WiFi connection to PAW is then easy to set up following the steps in the manual, and will supply the Reg IDs for aircraft. If you enable Bearingless targets (Mode-C/S - or Mode-C/S + Filter if you run a transponder) in PilotAware, Aircrew will also display banner alerts warning you of the presence of those aircraft. I also advise enabling Mode-S 3D in PilotAware if you have not already done so, as this will show Mode-S as actual moving aircraft on your Aircrew, in the same way as ADSB.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
Peter

* 12 volt power cables for Aircrew are normally available from the Aircrew site, but can also be sourced elsewhere using the plug dimensions given in the Aircrew Manual - just make sure you connect to a switched supply (or your battery will go flat) and make sure you add an inline fuse into the supply cable.

comanchebob

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2022, 11:21:33 pm »
Thanks Peter for the valuable information. I thought tat may be the case but I am reluctant to power the aircrew from another USB as I thought the cable direct to Pilot Aware was the preferred way.
I thought also that the power drain from Pilot Aware may be a problem but at 2 watts it is clearly not.

Best regards, Bob.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 11:23:26 pm by comanchebob »

exfirepro

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2022, 06:59:09 pm »
Hi Bob,

2 watts shouldn’t be a problem at present, but could potentially become an issue if we keep adding extra things like the WiFi dongle for iGRID. I have always powered my Aircrew since Day 1 of testing the prototype, via USB from my Charge 4, but have now run out of USB slots  ??? so will be swapping it over to a switched and fused 12volt feed when I can find the time.

Dave,

I got word back from James re the magenta lion - as I suspected it’s a spin off from something James was toying with and shouldn’t be in the Public Release update. It won’t cause any issues though.

Best Regards
Peter

JCurtis

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2022, 07:11:55 pm »
Remember the Raspberry Pi's are physically limited to the power that can be provided to the USB ports..
This table is taken from https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/computers/raspberry-pi.html#typical-power-requirements
I can't remember which is the Pi of choice for PAW.

Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Dave jones

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2022, 09:31:31 pm »
Hi Peter, Thanks for your reply to the magenta line. Much appreciated.
Dave

exfirepro

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2022, 08:50:45 am »
Hi All,

Thanks Jeremy. Pi of choice is Model 2B for the Classic and Model 3B for Rosetta.

Best Regards
Peter

JCurtis

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2022, 09:45:33 am »
Hi All,

Thanks Jeremy. Pi of choice is Model 2B for the Classic and Model 3B for Rosetta.

Best Regards
Peter

OK, so the total available to all 4 USB ports combined is physically limited to 1200ma - or there will be issues.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Sean McDonald

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2022, 10:15:49 am »
OK, so the total available to all 4 USB ports combined is physically limited to 1200ma - or there will be issues.

Is it possible to work out the total draw when all 4 USB ports are in use? In my case:

1. GPS Mouse
2. WiFi Dongle
3. USB to RS232 Serial Adapter - GPS to Trig for ADSB out
4. SDR

JCurtis

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2022, 10:54:24 am »

Is it possible to work out the total draw when all 4 USB ports are in use? In my case:

1. GPS Mouse
2. WiFi Dongle
3. USB to RS232 Serial Adapter - GPS to Trig for ADSB out
4. SDR

GPS probably 50ma max
WiFi maybe 200ma max
USB-RS232 I'd be surprised if more than 20ma, but call it 50ma max.
SDR is the biggest, could be up to 300ma depending on model, so lets say 400ma max

So this gives, 700ma max from the USB ports.  But if any of these goes a bit iffy, then all will suffer as a result.

How do you tell if something has gone a bit iffy, normally they quickly get very hot after power on.

I haven't measured a Rosetta boot and running power, but the older classic was running at a peak of ~1300ma.  The consumption of a PAW system isn't steady state by any means, it's very bursty and totally different to charging a battery.  I can't find the dataset just a low quality screen grab of around a couple of seconds of current consumption from back in the dark ages (2016).  The PAW does more work than it did back then, maybe I need to dig out my Classic or build a Rosetta and take some up to data measurements....

Sean McDonald

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2022, 11:25:05 am »
How do you tell if something has gone a bit iffy, normally they quickly get very hot after power on.

That is the bit that worries me. It does get hot quickly but I'm told that the SDR card does generate a lot of heat.

JCurtis

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2022, 11:36:33 am »

That is the bit that worries me. It does get hot quickly but I'm told that the SDR card does generate a lot of heat.

I have an SDR on the bench here, been running flat out for a week.  Checking it with a FLIR camera, it's holding at 40℃, I can hold it OK - it's warm, but not uncomfortable.  When things are too hot to touch, then I'd say there is a problem.

SDR's are very inefficient, hence they generate a lot of heat.  A WiFi dongle or GPS in comparison should not really get warm at all.  A USB to serial adapter should never be above ambient.

Admin

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2022, 02:07:04 pm »
SDR’s get hot, they are rated to 85degC, we gave pushed them and the PI (by increasing ambient temperature and workload) to over 100 degC without issue
Jeremy, are you running the SDR under workload, or just plugged int USB ?
Just plugging in will not necessarily generate heat
Thx
Lee

JCurtis

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2022, 02:09:57 pm »
SDR’s get hot, they are rated to 85degC, we gave pushed them and the PI (by increasing ambient temperature and workload) to over 100 degC without issue
Jeremy, are you running the SDR under workload, or just plugged int USB ?
Just plugging in will not necessarily generate heat
Thx
Lee
Oh, it’s working hard…  as the Pi 4 it’s connected too.

comanchebob

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2022, 10:42:25 am »
I now power my "Aircrew" using the 12 volt supply (not from Pilot Aware). What a transformation !
This is a much better and now reliable option option. It now connects to Pilot Aware by wifi, giving more traffic (including registration numbers) on the traffic display.
Also, no losses of signal due to voltage errors etc. I really think that Pilot Aware is not capable of supplying reliable external output power.

exfirepro

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2022, 10:50:43 am »
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the update. Good to know you have now got things running properly by powering your Aircrew from your aircraft 12 volt supply (suitably switched and fused I trust).

The Raspberry Pi's used in PAW (Classic or Rosetta) are both generally fine with their designed power draws (including USB to RS232 converters and the 'extra' WiFi for iGRID, as these have all been tested in development. As we have discussed before, adding any additional loads can be asking for trouble (especially if anything goes wrong - such as an SDR or GPS developing a fault).

Remember that when James compiled the Aircrew Manual, he would have been working with a 'bare' PAW without USB to RS232 or iGRID, so it would be perfectly capable 'power wise' of supporting the Aircrew in that state. In a similar vein, that's why we always recommend powering PAW from its own dedicated supply - i.e. not 'sharing' a 2-port USB adaptor - especially with a power-hungry 'flat' tablet or phone. As you are of course now aware, connecting the Aircrew to the PAW by USB (rather than WiFi) also prevents display of aircraft Reg ID as I reported previously, so swapping it to an external supply with WiFi connection to your PAW automatically resolves that issue.

Good result!

Best Regards

Peter