Author Topic: Vector curiosity  (Read 1382 times)

Smaragd

Vector curiosity
« on: September 26, 2022, 06:52:09 pm »
Looking at 40263C on Vector for its last 4 flights, I get a pitiful CAP1391 plot for the last flight, nothing for the previous 3 flights. But there is an ADS-B plot for all four flights. Our only outputs are SE2 (which has always previously appeared with CAP1391 selected) and PAW. Has something changed? Answer may be obvious but in my present Covid-befuddled state I can't see it!

exfirepro

Re: Vector curiosity
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 10:38:52 am »
Hi Trev,

You are correct - 40263C is only showing a pretty poor radiation pattern when ADSB is selected (of the sort we 'might' expect from an SE2 installation), but nothing at all for CAP 1391 - which you say you were running. Almost as if the selection is bringing up the wrong data stream. I will investigate.

Your PAW reports on the other hand are looking good!

Best Regards

Peter

smoothop3

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 02:37:20 pm »
We have an anomaly in the way ADSB versus CAP1391 gets reported. PAW stations differentiate between the two versions, 360Radar does not yet do so. The effect is as you report - sometimes you get your CAP1391 transmissions reported as CAP1391, sometimes under ADSB.

Your actual data for CAP1391 is relatively good - most SE2 transmitters are worse. Have a look at http://10.49.227.7/vector/?icao=406AAD&RxType=ADSB&GraphType=polar&DirType=BASE to get an idea what a normal low-power ADSB transmitter looks like.

Chris

Smaragd

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 05:58:54 pm »
Thank you both for your comments. So as we only have PAW and SE2, when looking at our SE2 on Vector we need to select ADSB plus CAP1391 to get the totality of information.

Smaragd

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 06:00:52 pm »
Oh, that's not an option.

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 11:58:50 am »
Hi again Trevor,

No, just select CAP1391 and press 'GO' - and if that doesn't report, select ADSB (and 'GO') instead.

Probably a bit more technical than this... but the problem (as I understand it) is that because the OGN network doesn't differentiate between DF17 (the type of 'ADSB' signal transmitted by a GPS-equipped transponder) and DF18 (the type transmitted by SkyEcho), the Vector tool can't readily find your CAP1391 data if it was mainly reported by OGN sites.

p.s. I had worked out yesterday what the problem was likely to be, as I remembered we had a problem with this a few weeks back, but was busy doing something else at the time and by the time I got back to the laptop to respond, Chris had already done so.

Best Regards

Peter
p.s. Chris, neither AlanG or myself can get your link to work
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 12:04:03 pm by exfirepro »

Smaragd

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022, 01:58:57 pm »
Thank you Peter, understood. I'd mentioned several weeks ago to my co-owners that our SE2 didn't seem to be working - but it was only by accident this week that I happened to check ADSB (and why would I - we didn't have it!) and had a surprise.

Best regards,

Trevor