Author Topic: Mobile Dongle instead of iPhone  (Read 1489 times)

JDevoy

Mobile Dongle instead of iPhone
« on: September 25, 2022, 08:53:03 am »
I plan on fixed installation of PAW with serial connection to Dynon SkyView. Thus displaying all traffic on the SkyView map. So theoretically do not need my iPhone, or do I?

Was thinking of buying a 4/5g mobile dongle with its own data plan and plugging this into the PAW or the second USB on the Anker. Therefore using it as the mobile hotspot for iGrid. Assume that would work?

Would that also display the wx on the Dynon or do I still need an iPhone/iPad running SkyDemon for that? 

« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 03:38:19 pm by exfirepro »

PaulSS

Re: Mobile Dongle instead of iPhone
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 10:56:35 am »
You can set up a 4G dongle and use it as a hotspot for iGrid. You will still have to plug a WIFI adapter into your PAW, so the PAW can connect to your 4G dongle.

I have one and it's great that I don't have to muck around with phone hotspots. Just recently I couldn't get anything through iGrid but I discovered, yesterday, that GiffGaff have not topped up the sim card as they should have done. Small wonder there's no data when I haven't paid for it  :)

I have varying results. Sometimes it works better than my iPhone and other times it doesn't. It's mounted underneath my seats and has a clear view of the ground etc through fabric.

Lee advised NOT to use the PAW USBs to power the dongle. They can take a bit of electricity and that might upset your PAW. Best to use a separate source, as I have.

Once your 4G dongle connects to iGrid (via the WIFI adapter in your PAW) it will allow the weather/rainfall to be displayed and it will enhance the traffic you see.

JDevoy

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 09:29:07 pm »
Thanks Paul. Will use the second usb on the Anker to power it. I have converted the Anker as per posts showing it becoming ‘hardwired’. Will make sure I have data on SIM lol.

Do you know the pin outs for the usb  to serial cable. I have the 2 TX/RX identified from the Skyview I  was wondering what pins on serial connector end I need to wire them into.

Cheers
James

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 03:44:35 pm »

Do you know the pin outs for the usb  to serial cable. I have the 2 TX/RX identified from the Skyview I  was wondering what pins on serial connector end I need to wire them into.

Cheers
James

James,

I have split this latter question and it's associated replies off this thread as it was causing divergence from previous Connecting PAW to Dynon threads. You can find more information on connecting PAW to Dynon here...   http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,819.html  and here... http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,823.0.html

Regards

Peter
(Moderator)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 09:00:18 am by exfirepro »