Author Topic: Network Settings page not showing the iGRID part - Now Resolved  (Read 2712 times)

exfirepro

Re: Network Settings page not showing the GRID part
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2022, 08:54:05 pm »
Lee,

You are of course correct - Gary’s  FlarmMouse will supply GPS messages if the external GPS mouse is disconnected, but when we did the initial Flarm Integration trials, I recall that we found that using the FlarmMouse GPS data for PilotAware proved extremely unreliable - not least because the FlarmMouse GPS antenna is much smaller than either of the PilotAware ones in use at the time (uBlox6 mouse or uBlox7 dongle). We were sufficiently concerned that we (you) communicated with LXNav about this at the time, but although they accepted our evidence they were pretty non-commital about discussing the matter further, so we resolved to recommend the use of a dedicated PilotAware GPS on the basis that if/when connected, PilotAware would always prioritise this over any other GPS source..

From that point, I myself continued to run my PilotAware with a GPS mouse during FlarmMouse Integration and would have openly suggested that to others in similar situations, so wasn’t surprised to find Gary doing the same.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2022, 07:22:52 am »
Hi Peter
Your memory serves you well !

Having 2 gps is not a problem, if for instance one loses a lock, messages from the other will continue to be used

Thx
Lee

Gary Nelson

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2022, 10:40:01 pm »
It is now working and thanks for all the advice. If of interest, what I did was as follows:

As Peter correctly "corrected" with his last message, my USB connectors were indeed as follows:

(1) PAW GPS         (3) 1090
(2) Flarm              (4) iGrid Wifi (not working)

As Lee suggested, I totally unplugged the Flarm Mouse, which was in position (2) and using the opportunity to make sure the iGrid wifi dongle was firmly in place in position (4). However, this didn't make any difference and I still could not get the Network page to display the new bottom half-screen with my phone hotspot.

I then swapped things around and moved the iGrid Wifi dongle from postion (4) to position (1) and noticed a small purple LED light on the dongle, which I had not seen before but perhaps as it was rather hidden when it was at bottom right position (4).  I then put the Flarm feed into position (4) as the USB input for the Flarm has an LED that goes on and off as data feeds and so a good one to see if position (4) appears working. That left the PAW GPS so I put that into remaining position (2). Amazingly now the USB's are being so used (also as below), the hospot functionality is displaying on the Network screen. Very very mysterious ??

(1) iGrid Wifi        (3) 1090
(2) PAW GPS        (4) Flarm

PS I have to check Flarm is still working in it's new USB position (4). I will do a few flights and then use the Pilot Aware VECTOR app to test this.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 05:54:24 am by Gary Nelson »

Admin

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2022, 07:26:14 am »
Hi Gary
Glad to hear its working, but still a bit odd right ?
It shouldn’t matter which port the wifi dongle is used
Nonetheless, lets see how you get on
Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2022, 01:46:37 pm »
Hi Gary,

Definitely weird! The only thing I can think of is that in the Port 4 position, the WiFi dongle was somehow getting blocked by one or more of the other devices, or something close by in the compartment. Glad to hear you have got things working now. please let us know how it goes.

Best Regards
Peter

Gary Nelson

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2022, 10:30:24 pm »
As part of testing, on the Configure page (as per first screenshot below) I set Bearingless Contacts to long range and vertical +/- 50,0000 feet and I set Postional Contacts to display all for horizontal and vertical. I then saw lots of traffic on my Traffic Page (also below). However, none of this traffic shows on the Radar page, even with the (as also below) Radar page set to 97km H and 50,000 V

Any ideas why the Radar screen should be blank?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 10:39:33 pm by Gary Nelson »

exfirepro

Re: Network Settings page not showing the iGRID part - Now Resolved
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2022, 11:15:00 pm »
Hi Gary,

Simple - you need to select 'TFC' (Traffic) from the list of options in blue at Top Left on the RADAR Screen by 'ticking' (clicking or touching in) the relevant blank box...

The Radar Screen will then display the traffic or whatever item(s) you have selected. (You can tick any or all of them, but if you select all your screen may get a bit crowded).

For info, the other setting options are... MET = METARs , RAIN = Rainfall Radar , POI = Places of Interest , and AIRFIELD is self evident.

Once selected, you can hide or display the Options List by toggling using the HIDE /DISP (Display) buttons to keep the screen clear.

Once selected and on display, you can then touch on an individual aircraft (or METAR) to bring up a window containing details of that aircraft or site METAR. Touching the screen again away from the detail window closes it again.

p.s. For the benefit of other users, I have adjusted the Main Thread Title to indicate that this issue has now been resolved, though users can of course still continue to post observations..

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 09:22:49 am by exfirepro »