Author Topic: EasyVFR  (Read 20382 times)

Moffrestorer

Re: EasyVFR
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2015, 07:11:57 pm »
Hi Lee,

I recommend you check out the Easy ADSB thread in Easy VFR forum. 

Kind regards for all your hard work,

Chris

Moffrestorer

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2015, 11:59:04 pm »
Whoop,Whoop, I've got little green planes buzzing me on EVFR!

Roweda talked me through connecting PAW to EV by phone, on Thursday evening. Comparing logging messages with his unit, I appeared to have a software corruption on my PAW because the boot-up sequence was stopping prematurely.

Downloaded software once again and installed in PAW. Also took the precaution of using a higher current power bank to eliminate low voltage problems during initial boot-up.

In the meantime Dave had sent a PAW unit to Rob Weijers at the Pocket FMS Foundation for testing with iOS devices. Rob discovered a potential problem with PAW having no DNS address in the Pilotaware hotspot IP DHCP settings. Apparently Flarm does have DNS and the "FLARM" interface in EV requires this. It had been omitted by Lee in response to a request for cellular iPads to be able to retain cellular connectivity for downloading weather, notams etc while connected to EVFR and PAW.

I did an initial boot of my PAW earlier today and suffered the same lack of connectivity between my iPad and PAW that I was getting previously. I decided to try the work-around that Rob suggests in  the PFMS forum EasyVFR thread, "Known issue with EasyVFR and Pilotaware on Apple devices without cellular datalink". Once I applied the work-around to the PAW hotspot settings in "iPad settings", all of the interface problems disappeared. This workaround should NOT have been necessary with a  "working" cellular model, but I am on Pay as You Go, and don't have a current data allowance, so it seems I have to apply it also in these circumstances.

I'd like to thank both Dave and Rob for their first class support with this issue.

ianfallon

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2015, 09:14:27 am »
Whoop,Whoop, I've got little green planes buzzing me on EVFR!

Roweda talked me through connecting PAW to EV by phone, on Thursday evening. Comparing logging messages with his unit, I appeared to have a software corruption on my PAW because the boot-up sequence was stopping prematurely.

Downloaded software once again and installed in PAW. Also took the precaution of using a higher current power bank to eliminate low voltage problems during initial boot-up.

In the meantime Dave had sent a PAW unit to Rob Weijers at the Pocket FMS Foundation for testing with iOS devices. Rob discovered a potential problem with PAW having no DNS address in the Pilotaware hotspot IP DHCP settings. Apparently Flarm does have DNS and the "FLARM" interface in EV requires this. It had been omitted by Lee in response to a request for cellular iPads to be able to retain cellular connectivity for downloading weather, notams etc while connected to EVFR and PAW.

I did an initial boot of my PAW earlier today and suffered the same lack of connectivity between my iPad and PAW that I was getting previously. I decided to try the work-around that Rob suggests in  the PFMS forum EasyVFR thread, "Known issue with EasyVFR and Pilotaware on Apple devices without cellular datalink". Once I applied the work-around to the PAW hotspot settings in "iPad settings", all of the interface problems disappeared. This workaround should NOT have been necessary with a  "working" cellular model, but I am on Pay as You Go, and don't have a current data allowance, so it seems I have to apply it also in these circumstances.

I'd like to thank both Dave and Rob for their first class support with this issue.

Can you post a link here to the magic needed to get Wifi iPads to work ? Or post the info itself ? I have a friend with this problem.

ianfallon

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2015, 09:19:06 am »

SteveN

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2015, 10:12:14 am »
This works for me both with and without PAW (Flarm) GPS. 

Pilotaware 21511107
EasyVFR v3.81 (32)
Nexus 7 (2013)
Android v6.0 Marshmallow (MRA58U)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 10:19:28 am by SteveN »

ianfallon

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2015, 10:39:57 am »
On a Wifi only iPad ? I think you also need the DNS entry in the PAW Wifi settings for those.

roweda

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2015, 02:43:10 pm »
On a Wifi only iPad ? I think you also need the DNS entry in the PAW Wifi settings for those.

Also on a cellular iPad if you don't have a Sim card installed. It appears that it doesn't have to be an operational SIM.

ianfallon

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2015, 03:23:29 pm »
I need to add this to the next version of the software install / setup guide

roweda

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2015, 06:43:38 pm »
EasyVFR connections are showing on the web browser Logging Page as connected to "RunwayHD".

Not sure what you are checking to check what the PAW is connected to? Possibly a common component?

roweda

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2015, 10:09:12 pm »
Also on a cellular iPad if you don't have a Sim card installed. It appears that it doesn't have to be an operational SIM.

This is fixed in EasyVFR V3.82.0 which is already available via Google Play Store. Apple version will hopefully be later this week when approved by Apple.

AlanG

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2015, 05:19:44 pm »
Hi
Can anyone tell me if it is PAW or EVFR that determines the red coloured conflict aircraft on the screen.
I had the first airbourne test of my setup yesterday and was surprised to see so many red aircraft that were many miles away from me.  They were, I assume, within 1000ft altitude of me (I find it difficult to read the on screen height and speed in cockpit situation) but more than 20 or 30 miles away.  I had assumed that as well as the  height difference parameter there would be a horizontal parameter too so that only aircraft in a fairly nearby proximity at similar height would be red.  Although I suppose the fast jet jockey's wouldn't take long to close from 20/30 miles but I'm not sure if they're included in this set-up anyway are they?  Do they transmit ADS-B?
I currently have the original ARF unit installed but nothing to test it against so waiting with bated breath for whats coming at the show.  Only wish I could be there.  however other than the issue above I was amazed at the coverage of ADS-B traffic from just the supplied dongle antenna which in effect has no ground plane as it is just velcroed onto the GRP pod of my flexwing behind the windscreen.
An amazing job by all concerned.

Alan

roweda

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2015, 05:33:24 pm »
Alan

EasyVFR is determining whether the conflicting aircraft is Red or Green. At present, it is only determining the conflict by the vertical separation and not the horizontal, so if you are zoomed out and can see a wider area then you may see more Red aircraft.

There is no telling exactly who transmits ADS-B. I doubt that military jets do as nine times out of ten they don't want people to know where they are! I had heard that the likes of the BBMF and the Vulcan are fitted with FLARM units, presumably because of the low levels they fly at outside of controlled airspace and the difficulty of spotting gliders due to limited visibility.

Admin

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2015, 05:35:40 pm »
The display is under the control of the Navigation device.
PAW simply passes all the data regarding traffic in the vicinity

Thx
Lee

AlanG

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2015, 07:53:56 pm »
Roweda & Lee

Thanks for the prompt response guys.  That's what I suspected.

Alan