Author Topic: EasyVFR  (Read 20371 times)

jodel119

EasyVFR
« on: November 07, 2015, 12:00:32 pm »
Hi Lee,
I use EasyVFR for navigation, but I couldn't get Pilotaware to work with it, after much frustration I spoke to Dave, one of the guys at EV we went through a few things, to make sure I had done it correctly, all seemed to be OK, it was only when we checked marked ALL 4  "log interface messages " it started to show aircraft in EV, I closed down and restarted and all is working fine (the log check marks are not on), it seemed I needed it for just the first time.

Just thought it may help someone else.
Thanks for a great bit of kit.
Regards
Colin

Admin

Re: EasyVFR
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 01:07:29 pm »
Hi Colin

Glad to hear you got it working.
To be honest, I think turning on the debug was simply a coincedence, if there was an issue, it would have re-emerged after a reboot.

What is your GPS source ?
Are you using the GPS sharing from EasyVFR, CollisionAware or a GPS Dongle ?

Not having a GPS source would have yielded this behavior

Thx
Lee

jodel119

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 01:29:02 pm »
Hi Lee,
 Not sure why it needed this action, I'm using collision aware as the gps source. I thought it may help someone else, if there was a problem.
Regards
Colin

Moffrestorer

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 04:26:19 pm »
Like Colin, I've been waiting for the latest EV software release to be actually able to connect my iPad Mini2 Cellular tablet to my PAW, and hopefully see some ADSB traffic.  Three problems seen that I'd like some help with please,

A) enabling FLARM, (with settings, 192.168.1.1 , port 2000, pin code 6001, TCP, 40000ft set), no traffic on display even though I can hear the CAT overhead. Tried two different DVB-T dongles/antennas. tried ticking the logging boxes in config screen as advised by Colin, still no good.

B) I can only see my plane symbol when using the iPad internal GPS source, even though have u-blox dongle on PAW,flashing away with a fix and trying collision aware both on and off. When FLARM is enabled, GPS source is lost (no plane symbol).

C) QNH is set to auto, in config screen, but resolutely shows 1013 and QFE =0, noticed this over past few weeks. GNSS gives a sensible height given my location. Using JC'S ARFShield with inbuilt baro.

All of the above conducted outside with clear view of sky.

I'm currently downloading latest PAW software, as I had 20151020 installed, (takes hours with my wifi), maybe this will help?

jodel119

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 10:55:26 pm »
Hello Moffrestorer
I'm still getting a problem occasionally on start up, but I'm now trying to find where the issue is.

Colim

Moffrestorer

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 02:44:09 pm »
Hi Lee,

Downloaded 20151107 and tried to connect Easy VFR to PAW via my iPad (see above post). Still cannot see ADSB traffic ( though I can hear it and see it on FR24).

I'm thinking the main problem is that GPS only seems to work via IPad location services to give me the plane symbol on EV display. I have collision aware enabled. As soon as I enable FLARM on EV( with Use Flarm GPS=ON) I lose the plane symbol on map display, even though u-blox 7 GPS dongle has a fix. Again, tried checking the logging boxes on config on PAW config screen (Colin's post) - makes no difference!

I notice that config indicates "navigation =OFF". Could this me the problem? how do you get it to =ON?

Thx,

Chris

Would attach screen shot of PAW homepage but don't know how to get file size<200kbit

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 04:39:07 pm »
I notice that config indicates "navigation =OFF". Could this me the problem? how do you get it to =ON?

This isn't a switch, it's an indicator. It indicates if you have a valid piece of software such as Sky Demon or Easy VFR connected. It goes Enabled if you have.

How many satellites is it showing for the GPS fix and is it showing 2D or 3D fix?

If you have a UBlox GPS, shouldn't collision aware be switched off? It's one or the other.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 04:51:15 pm by Paul_Sengupta »

Admin

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 04:50:07 pm »
Hi All

scsirob (forum member) sent me a screenshot of his settings, this is what he has setup, and EasyVFR is working for him

scsirob

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 04:50:37 pm »
I just ran a quick test. I stuck my uBlock GPS receiver in an aluminium container so it lost fix. Not only the airplane indicator, but also all other traffic indication disappeared. So make sure you have GPS fix before expecting EasyVFR to show any ADS-B traffic.

Moffrestorer

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 05:15:16 pm »
Hi Lee,

The Flarm screen shot is exactly what I had selected.  I can only think that the GPS and traffic data are not being communicated from the PAW to EV on the iPad. Shouldn't need collissionaware if using the Ublox dongle, but didn't get traffic even with this enabled and using internal iPad GPS.

GPS sentences(usb), msgs 10313(+72), Fix="GPS fix (SPS)", "Mode=3D", Satellites =9

Admin

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 05:30:05 pm »
You can trace the messages going to the nav tool, by ticking the 'nav' selection in the web config page.
Then go to the logging page to display the messages

Moffrestorer

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 02:48:35 pm »
Hi Lee,

Thinking about this problem, I realised my power pack is only rated at 1A output. So tried to see high level ADSB traffic using the car cigarette lighter and 2.4A USB adapter. Unfortunately still no joy.

Everything appears to be working, excepting the EasyVFR to PAW connection. PAW config home page doesn't show Navigation Enabled, no matter whether I try to connect using FLARM settings as posted by Rob, or using internal IPad Mini GPS (cellular model).

Reading Ian Fallon's excellent Software downloading and set up instructions (just posted) the only thing I have done differently is to reformat the micro USB card on the FULL (overwrite) setting, which I'm sure was documented in your early build documentation. As  I've downloaded all of the updates, could this have led to a corruption?

I can try reformatting and downloading again if it's likely to help. Unfortunately I have very slow wifi and it takes about 2.5 hrs at its quickest. Is this par for the course?

Admin

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 02:55:57 pm »
Hi Chris,

I can try reformatting and downloading again if it's likely to help. Unfortunately I have very slow wifi and it takes about 2.5 hrs at its quickest. Is this par for the course?

I dont believe this is the issue.

A simple check you can perform, is to see what data PAW will stream to a connected NAV device, to do this open your web browser on the machine connected to the PilotAware Hotspot.

in the address bar type the following

192.168.1.1:2000

This should stream the messages to your browser, do you see anything ?
If so, this is what EasyVFR should be parsing.

Thx
Lee

Moffrestorer

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 03:51:08 pm »
Yep lots of $PFLAA, PFLAU, GPGgA, GPGSA, GPRMC msgs, repeating.

I'd send a screen shot but someone needs to give a tutorial on getting file size below 200kbit, cos forum doesn't allow me to post saying file too large.

Incidentally, this is with Ublox 7 and FLARM enabled.

Chris

Admin

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 04:40:31 pm »
Hi Chris.

So the point is, PAW is generating the data, the question is, why is easyVFR not connecting to read the data ?

It also looks like my EasyVFR license has expired to try myself.

Thx
Lee