Author Topic: Rosetta very hot and no GPS when iGRID dongle pugged it  (Read 1172 times)

Julian

Rosetta very hot and no GPS when iGRID dongle pugged it
« on: July 01, 2022, 08:04:28 pm »
Hello,
I received my iGRID USB module today - upgraded firmware in my Rosetta, plugged in the module and powered it up. iGRID connected to my hotspot OK. The Rosetta reported no GPS and it started to get hot around the USB sockets (with that subtle electronics getting hot smell!) - the Rosetta also reported a volts error. Turned off, removed the iGRID module and the Rosetta found GPS and appeared to work OK (detecting traffic, connecting to skydemon). I am using an ANKER powerpack with a very short (15cm lead). It is almost as if the Rosetta USB sockets cant provide enough power to feed another USB devices.
I dare not plug it back in, dont want to risk blowing up the Rosetta.
Anyone else with a similar issue?
Thanks,
Julian

Ian Melville

Re: Rosetta very hot and no GPS when iGRID dongle pugged it
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 06:59:48 am »
Sounds like your iGrid module is faulty and dragging down the voltage. I am suprised as I thought all units are tested before PilotAware send them out? Contact Ashley via one of these methods https://www.pilotaware.com/contact-us

BTW it is not an iGrid module/dongle, but an off-the-shelf Wifi dongle with a RALINK 5370 chipset.

AlanG

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 11:08:52 am »
Hi
Just to note that although the power lead length can be significant if too long, even a short lead needs to be at least 20swg cross section to deliver the required power to the paw.  The power draw will be slightly increased by fitting the dongle and the Anker brick should be at least 2.5amp capable with nothing else powered from it at the same time as this will reduce the power available to anything plugged in.

Regards
Alan

Sean McDonald

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2022, 07:44:10 am »
Mentioned in another thread but mine also got very hot with the module inserted. Battery fed from aircraft with correct cable and correctly rated USB connection