Author Topic: WiFi Dongle stops tablet connecting. Now Sorted with latest Software installed  (Read 2907 times)

Sean McDonald

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but can't find anything to help.

I've now got the new WiFi dongle and the external GPS mouse to allow the dongle to fit in the Rosetta case (which I mentioned in another thread).

However my tablet resolutely refuses to connect to the Rosetta if the new dongle is in any one of the ports. I get a PAW network 'not in reach message'. And that only if I go hunting in the tablet settings for previously used networks.

Take the wifi dongle out and it is back to normal with PAW wifi showing as available on the wifi drop down list and auto connecting....

« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 01:54:40 pm by Keithvinning »

exfirepro

Re: WiFi Dongle stops tablet connecting with PAW
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 08:55:05 pm »
Hi Sean,

I can’t think why you are getting that - and I’m pretty sure I have never seen that message before.

Can you post a screenshot of your Config Screen so we can see the settings on your USB Ports please. for reference, they should all be on ‘Auto’ except the one your USB to RS232 converter is plugged into - which from your earlier posts was Port 2. A shot of the Networks Screen might also prove helpful.

Regards
Peter

Sean McDonald

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 09:21:44 pm »
Will do Peter but will be next week as away now. Ports all on auto except for Tx port. It all got very hot when trying if that is any sort of clue but absolutely no change to how it is powered.

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 11:40:32 pm »
OK Sean,

Definitely needs further investigation. Let us know when you are back.

Regards
Peter

Sean McDonald

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 04:30:46 pm »
So had another go at setting up and again managed to set up the wifi dongle and connection to the Huaewi mifi hotspot. GSM tab orange as expected in hangar. All seemed well. Turned off and on and got all conections up again identically.

On third time turning on from rest my GSM tab came up orange as did the TXP tab. (Forgot to photo). Haven't seen this before despite being in the hangar.

On fourth time turning on I had no PAW available in my wifi list therefore tablet connected to hangar wifi.

I went into Saved networks where PAW is listed. Selected PAW, pressed 'Connect'

'Connect' changes to 'Connecting' but results in message saying Network not in range

USB Port settings are all on Auto 4800 baud rate with the exception of Port 2 which is configured for ADSB with the Trig on 9600 baud rate.

Network setting as as the image below having successfully added the hotspot to the mifi unit.

In the course of all this the Rosetta pigtail becane VERY hot. The wifi module was also hot. Having allowed everything to cool down I operated the Rosetta again without the wifi module. The Rosetta pigtail got hot again but maybe not as hot as when the wifi module was in. Is this normal? Not having had the case open and checking this before I have no way of knowing if this is normal and acceptable operating temperature. Makes me a bit nervous!

To ensure the temperature issue was nothing to do with the aircraft power supply and the USB port I use I turned off and allowed to cool. I then used the same recommended cable which. I plugged directly into an Anker battery pack which I used for the PAW classic in the my previous aircraft. The temperature of the pigtail and wifi module again reached concerning levels.

Seanhump

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 05:20:10 pm »
First thing I'd do is change the Wireless channel to auto, and see if it connects then ...

The heat is a mystery ...
Pilotaware user ...

steveu

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 05:56:21 pm »
The support people on the forum may correct me but if you want the PAW to spread internet joy around, I think you need to set the "Router" setting to on.

Keithvinning

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 01:57:02 pm »

In the course of all this the Rosetta pigtail becane VERY hot. The wifi module was also hot. Having allowed everything to cool down I operated the Rosetta again without the wifi module. The Rosetta pigtail got hot again but maybe not as hot as when the wifi module was in. Is this normal? Not having had the case open and checking this before I have no way of knowing if this is normal and acceptable operating temperature. Makes me a bit nervous!

To ensure the temperature issue was nothing to do with the aircraft power supply and the USB port I use I turned off and allowed to cool. I then used the same recommended cable which. I plugged directly into an Anker battery pack which I used for the PAW classic in the my previous aircraft. The temperature of the pigtail and wifi module again reached concerning levels.

It isn’t the pigtail that get hot it is the SDR which is normal for that device. If you have put the WiFi dongle above this then it will get hot through radiated heat from the SDR.  can you put the WiFi in one of the USB sockets to the left.

I test them all and they dont get hot on their own

Sean McDonald

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2022, 05:21:46 pm »
It isn’t the pigtail that get hot it is the SDR which is normal for that device. If you have put the WiFi dongle above this then it will get hot through radiated heat from the SDR.  can you put the WiFi in one of the USB sockets to the left.

I test them all and they dont get hot on their own

All four USB ports taken up. I can swap GPS mouse and wifi module if that makes a difference? Also any advice on the settings please Keith?

Admin

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 07:41:01 pm »
Hi Sean
Are you trying to use your samsung as a hotspot AND a client?
If so does this device support the dual mode capability?
Thx
Lee

Sean McDonald

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2022, 08:11:18 pm »
Hi Sean
Are you trying to use your samsung as a hotspot AND a client?
If so does this device support the dual mode capability?
Thx
Lee

Hi Lee,
I wish I knew what that meant!
On the Samsung tablet (wifi only) I run PAW and SkyDemon. SD is fed GPS info from PAW ie not location services.
I was using a Hauwei mifi device (3 mobile) as the internet provider and wifi connecting that to Rosetta.
I will try using my Samsung phone (EE) as the internet provider and hotspot that to the Rosetta and see what happens.
The heat issue also concerns me but Keith says that is normal in the SDR device. All my USB ports are in use so swapping around is limited.
It may/must (?) be a setting somewhere that prevents the connection PAW to Samsung tablet when wifi module is inserted.
Sean

Admin

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2022, 08:39:15 pm »
Hi Sean
Just reread your first post
It means that the mifi was not connected to our igrid

Can you try again, or with another 4g device
Thx
Lee

Sean McDonald

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2022, 05:13:26 pm »
Hi Sean
Just reread your first post
It means that the mifi was not connected to our igrid

Can you try again, or with another 4g device
Thx
Lee

Removed the Rosetta from the aircraft and tried it at home minus the Trig USB connection. Connected to the hotspot and seemed to work ok.
Back to the aircraft and it worked on the first attempt with all USB ports in action. Thereafter on numerous tests it resolutely refused to connect to PAW if the WiFi module was inserted. Tried from aircraft power, Anker battery and swapped power cables.
Hope again and it again refused to identify the PAW network with the WiFi module in, only 3 USB ports in action now. Removed WiFi module and PAW wifi becomes available again.
So I'm giving up for now.

Admin

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2022, 06:18:49 pm »
Hi Sean
Which s/w version is installed?
Also, was the second wifi dongle from us ?
Thx
Lee

Sean McDonald

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2022, 07:10:56 am »
Hi Sean
Which s/w version is installed?
Also, was the second wifi dongle from us ?
Thx
Lee

Hi Lee,
S/W version is 220531
WiFi dongle was supplied by you. Says 802.11n on the end (I have only had the one?)
I had a GPS mouse from you to replace the internal GPS module as there wasn't enough space to use all 4 USB ports. Flew on Monday minus the wifi module and everything else is working well and consistently. No GPS drop outs, traffic showing as expected and ADSB out via the Trig also working.
Rgds,
Sean