Author Topic: Intermittent fault - PAW Classic  (Read 1568 times)

jbone

Intermittent fault - PAW Classic
« on: July 03, 2022, 08:24:43 pm »
Hi all,
I've had a classic PAW 'permanently' installed in my plane for about 5 years (external ADSB antenna etc).  For the last 6 weeks, since I renewed the licence, it has been working only intermittently.   Usually, but not always, the wifi comes on (restarting usually sorts that out however).   When the wifi signal is picked up by my phone/ipad, it connects to them only about 50% of the time.  Even when connected, it will disconnect, leaving Skydemon saying "Waiting for device".  Then maybe 5 or 10 minutes later it connects again.   

I assumed it would be a power supply problem, but I seem to have exhausted the possibilities. I have tried: a) two different cigarette lighter sockets fed from two different circuits on the plane, b) two Anker UBS power adaptors, c) a 20,000 mAh Anker power bank and d) four cables (two of which are definitely up to the job) d) cleaned the contacts on the power socket as best I can.  I also updated the software.  I've even removed it from the plane and swapped out the wifi dongle, the GPS dongle and put on the original two small antennae.  Nothing made any difference.  I've been at it 6 hours.   I though maybe a big hammer might at least end the affair!

Has anyone got any ideas please?   Thanks,  John

steveu

Re: Intermittent fault - PAW Classic
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 08:36:47 pm »
Brand new SD card, with fresh firmware installed, then configured. Take screen shots of your current config to easily re-create.

Fly with that and report back?

jbone

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 10:10:12 am »
Steve,

I've done that and, while I haven't flown yet, on the ground it seems to have made a big improvement.    I'll get back to you if there are any further problems, but that might not be for a few weeks,  Thanks!   John

Keithvinning

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 01:59:46 pm »
John the following document will help to diagnose the fault.

https://www.pilotaware.com/knowledgebase/troubleshooting

read the embedded documents as well

jbone

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2022, 09:31:40 pm »
Hi Steve,  I did a 90 minute flight yesterday and no matter how many times I cycled the power I couldn't detect the wifi on either the ipad or iphone (remember I already swapped out the wifi dongle).   Then on the flight home it worked flawlessly.   Any more idea please?   Thanks, John

Keithvinning

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 09:42:27 am »
Hi John.

As shown in the following document

https://global-uploads.webflow.com/5d56c24810fbfdbe08b488cd/6107c2df8ba4e7d2e72f9c2b_120802%20Difficulties%20in%20connecting%20PilotAware%20to%20Flight%20Bag%20Applications.pdf

There are two failure mechanisms that are reported between Sky Demon and PilotAware. Firstly,

Message 1 ‘Waiting for Device’
This message shows that the Sky Demon program is not connected to PilotAware. Th one you are getting?

This will be because
1) Your smart tablet or phone is not connected to the PilotAware WiFi.
2) The correct interface protocol has not been selected. Use PilotAware UDP

This message shows that SkyDemon is not connected to PilotAware through the iPad/PAW wifi interface.
The most common reason for this is that the power supply to the Classic or Rosetta device is interment.
The most common reason for this is that the micro USB power connection is faulty due to a loose connection between the micro USB on the RPi and the cable.
To check this waggle the cable in the micro USB connector socket and check that the small Red LED at the end of the Raspberry pi (Rip) does not go out momentarily.
If it does this is the problem.
When the power is disconnected the RPi will restart which will take about 90 seconds.
The result of this will be the connection drops out and the Sky demon reports Waiting for Device..
The user then reports that the system keeps dropping out which I think is your problem.

The solution for this is to change the RPI AND the cable unless you are convinced that it is only one of the two that is worn.

The fault usually occurs due to vibration between the cable and the connection. This happens when the installation is poor and the cable is vibrating at a different frequency to the box.
This can be fixed by fixing the cable to the box with a rubber band.

Please check this connection. If the red light is solid then something else is going on
Send the unit with the dongles and the cable back to us and we will check it out.

The second failure mechanism reported by sky demon is waiting for GPS which is usually a GPS shielding problem easily remedied by ensuring your GPS has a good view or replacing with a remote GPS.

You will be able to see if this is the problem by operating your Classic unit and monitoring the PilotAware RADAR screen not Sky Demon. If this is solid then the fault is between the Sky Demon app and the PilotAware. This is usually cured by selecting the correct interface protocol on the configuration page. Use PilotAware UDP

By the way is this the Classic you have in the RANS or the second-hand bitsa in the Cub

Regards

Keith

Keithvinning

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 02:37:11 pm »
I have put a video on Youtube that may help folks understand the relationship between losing power and losing GPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwGTQdz81zw

This has also been included in the troubleshooting section of the Knowledgebase.

https://www.pilotaware.com/knowledgebase/troubleshooting

Keith