Author Topic: Aircrew Instrument Firmware Update  (Read 4014 times)

comanchebob

Aircrew Instrument Firmware Update
« on: June 26, 2022, 03:19:28 pm »
My Aircrew instrument is powered from my Rosetta.
I tried repeatedly to update its Firmware using an Android tablet (the IOS version simply does not work), but achieved the message 'Update Failed' every time, and was left with a non working instrument and unable able to do a factory reset.
I finally solved the problem by switching off Rosetta powering the Aircrew independently, and running the upgrade routine.
All working perfectly now.
I hope this information is helpful to any 'Aircrew' users.

Dave jones

Re: Aircrew Instrument Firmware Update
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 06:32:19 pm »
I did the same and it worked for me also. I used my ipad(iOS) and a battery pack. Haven’t noticed any difference since the update only an extra page showing a G meter. Has anyone noticed any further changes?

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 08:09:54 am »
Hi Guys,

Bob,

I would certainly recommend powering Aircrew from a separate source during updates, rather than from PilotAware - simply to avoid any possibility of any 'glitch' corrupting the update - as you experienced. I have had that happen before, and it can be a real PITA trying to recover the unit if it 'seizes up' during the update process.

For the benefit of anyone else reading this thread, I hadn't updated my Aircrew for a while so (even though it was already running a 1.09 Beta Tester), I just ran a full update (remote from the aircraft and powered with the cable which normally feeds my printer from my laptop as I couldn't find my 'spare' USB A to USB B) to confirm the process. The update was deliberately performed using my 'older' iPad Mini 3 (running iPadOS 12.5.5) and all worked as expected - except that I had forgotten that in order to connect the iPad to the Aircrew, you have to first download the update (by opening the Aircrew Updater App on your Tablet, Phone or PC) while connected to the internet), then scroll through the Aircrew / Config settings to 'Update' and Press the Button to select 'Update', which starts the process and importantly activates the Aircrew WiFi Hotspot, so it appears on the tablet/phone/PC WiFi List allowing you to connect the Pad to the Aircrew Device and start the installation process.

Dave / All,

You will presumably be aware that James had to cease production of Aircrew a while back during Covid, as he simply couldn't obtain the required chipsets due to the World shortages. He has spent considerable time and effort redesigning the board, so that an alternative chipset can be used and my most recent news was that new units should be available to order in July.

In the meantime, communication has been a bit 'sketchy' so I need to speak to James again and get an update on his latest developments!

In particular, I must have missed the G-meter Screen. Looks interesting - though not sure my Inspector (/CFI) would be keen on me 'exploring the limits' in my flexwing.

That said, Aircrew is still one of the most useful devices in my aircraft.

Best Regards

Peter

comanchebob

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 11:14:46 am »
Thanks for your replies.
I tried with my iPhone, iPad and Mac PC to log on to the update site but each time it returned the message 'This app is currently not available in your country or region'.
My Aircrew instrument was recently purchased and came with 1.08 firmware.

It would be helpful if these problems that may be experience could be mentioned on the Aircrew update site.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Dave jones

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 11:22:42 am »
Dear Peter, I’m only assuming the extra page on the Aircrew instrument is a Gmeter.. I’m open to any other suggestions as I haven’t tried it in my PA28.!!. Does anyone know of any other changes since the update .

comanchebob

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2022, 10:02:54 am »
The latest firmware update give an option to show or hide the G meter screen. I tried 'show' but no joy !
Another feature is the improved magnetic calibration screen but no details of what to do to do a compass swing. I presume taxi in a circle or perhaps a figure of 8.

There is an absence of information in the Aircrew manual and no response from Aircrew if contacted by email.

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2022, 05:15:37 pm »
Hi Folks,

As promised, I spoke to James last week. He apologised for not keeping in touch, but has been up to his eyes building Aircrew units and trying to complete and test part-finished software development projects before the official resumption of Aircrew Sales - which is why he has been effectively unreachable. He did say that he is hoping to resume normal sales and service later this month, while still continuing with project development and with a view to (potentially) expanding his product range.

With regard to the 'G-Meter' screen, this was apparently part of a development requested by an individual aerobatics pilot, and is still in 'Beta' development mode, which is why it hasn't been 'officially announced', or made its way into the Aircrew Manual yet.

Best Regards
Peter

comanchebob

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2022, 09:15:18 am »
It would be nice if Aircrew had its own online forum. Perhaps worth suggesting to James !
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 09:17:20 am by comanchebob »

steveu

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 10:28:56 am »
It would be nice if Aircrew had its own online forum. Perhaps worth suggesting to James !

If some one is ultra busy, this suggestion may not help them...

Setting up a forum is a lot of work and as someone who helps administer one, unless you have a lot of users and a need for lots or different areas, it's not worth it. Much easier to have a Google Group, or set up something on groups.io if you need to host documents and other stuff to be read or downloaded.

The biggest problem with forums is scammers and forum spam. Attacks from hackers trying to get the forum databases (user names/passwords) is another problem. Hosting needs, forum software, database and php updates...

For low traffic and low maintenance, groups.io or Google Groups.

Get users to learn to filter mail into mailboxes away from their In Box, otherwise older users who aren't familiar with email freak out if they get more than 10 emails a day. Google Mail and Thunderbird will also thread emails with a mailbox...

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 03:38:51 pm »
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the comments. I know James does monitor the PilotAware Forums when he has time because he often phones me about things posted on here, but while reading posts is fairly quick, I can vouch for the fact that (especially when you are up against it), answering them (as Steve has said) can add a whole other level of pressure and time commitment!

I'm sure James has considered the 'options', in the meantime, I've been an Aircrew Tester and User since pretty much the first prototypes, so I'm happy to answer Aircrew queries on here to the best of my ability as long as I've not just made another rod for my own back  :-\.

Best Regards All
Peter

Dave jones

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2022, 08:27:51 pm »
Hi All, A couple of us at my home airfield have had a magenta line appear on the aircrew instrument since we’ve updated the latest software version. It only appears when we zoom out to above about 10 miles. It appears from the side of the screen and bears no resemblance to our heading/track. Just  wondering if any one else has experienced this. It doesn’t really worry us since we usually have the scale set to 6/8 miles.
Thanks for your comments
Davd

exfirepro

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2022, 09:54:58 pm »
Hi Dave,

Thanks for letting us know. Sounds like some development testing that James is working on might have sneaked into the update by mistake. I will pass this on.

Best Regards
Peter

Dave jones

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2022, 10:00:01 pm »
Hi Peter, Thanks for your reply. It’s not a major problem but you wouldn’t notice it unless you zoomed out. It’s not just mine but also my friends system also.
Regards Davd

exfirepro

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2022, 10:04:49 pm »
Hi Dave,

I was surprised, as I was using my aircrew at the weekend and didn't notice this, but I have passed your observations on to James.

Best Regards
Peter
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 10:37:14 pm by exfirepro »

comanchebob

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2022, 09:49:44 pm »
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the comments. I know James does monitor the PilotAware Forums when he has time because he often phones me about things posted on here, but while reading posts is fairly quick, I can vouch for the fact that (especially when you are up against it), answering them (as Steve has said) can add a whole other level of pressure and time commitment!

I'm sure James has considered the 'options', in the meantime, I've been an Aircrew Tester and User since pretty much the first prototypes, so I'm happy to answer Aircrew queries on here to the best of my ability as long as I've not just made another rod for my own back  :-\.

Best Regards All
Peter

Thank you Peter - may I ask you just one question ?

My Aircrew is connected to Pilot Aware by a USB cable and displays only ADSB traffic with their Hex Codes.
I have also clicked to connect it to Pilot Awares' WiFi but I have a doubt that it is actually connected.
All traffic is displayed on my Sky Demon. Is there a way of displaying all traffic on the Aircrew Instrument ?

Best regards, Bob.