Author Topic: Bandit on my tail  (Read 1762 times)

Joe M

Bandit on my tail
« on: June 23, 2022, 09:05:39 pm »
I'm looking for a bit of advice. I have a PilotAware Classic, and have found it really useful for the last 5 years or so. Last year it occasionally started to show an aircraft 0.2 or 0.3 miles behind me at the same height. If I turn or change height it follows - with a slight lag. It looks like some kind of echo.

Two days ago I flew from Fenland to Enstone. The "echo" was apparent shortly after I took off from Fenland, then stopped. It reappeared for a while near Olney, and then reappeared as I came into the Enstone overhead. I took the attached screenshots on landing.

I take great reassurance from the extra security that Pilotaware gives me, but if I could lose this "ghost bandit" I would be very grateful.

Any suggestions?

Apologies for multiple messages, necessary to keep attachments within file limits.

Joe

Joe M

Re: Bandit on my tail
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 09:07:46 pm »
Further attachment

Joe M

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 09:09:26 pm »
Third attachment

Joe M

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 09:11:18 pm »
......and 4th attachment

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 11:46:11 pm »
Hi Joe,

The 'normal' scenario, with this type of ghost alerts, is that they are triggered by a second EC device in your aircraft - usually your own transponder, or by a ground uplink from a flarm or similar device, but I see from your Home Screen that you are running the newest software, which includes algorithms specifically designed to stop this sort of alerts. To be effective, however, it is essential to run your device in the 'Mode C/S Plus Filter' setting if you have a secondary EC device such as a transponder. A screenshot of your Configure Screen would be helpful so we can check the settings.

From screenshot 1, it would also appear that in your case the alerts might be being triggered (or at least exacerbated) by what seem to be sudden or very rapid changes in your reported altitude, which would appear to need further investigation.

Perhaps Lee would care to comment.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 11:58:09 pm by exfirepro »

PaulSS

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 12:03:25 am »
Someone I know was being followed around, despite having the correct settings in his PAW etc. It would appear the culprit was found to be the Safesky app that was running on his phone. I don't know how true that is but he turned off the app and hasn't had a ghost since.

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 12:39:39 am »
Interesting Paul,

Any corroboration (or evidence in support of that hypothesis) would certainly be of great interest to the Team.

Best Regards as always

Peter

Joe M

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 01:28:34 pm »
Thank you both for your prompt comments, which are appreciated.

Paul - I'm not running the Safesky app. I just double-checked the apps on my phone and there is just Sky Demon and Flight Radar.

Peter - I have a mode S transponder, and I think the filter setting is correct. Screenshot of config screen is attached.
        - In the flight in question I was climbing at Fenland, reasonably level at Olney, and gently descending in the Enstone overhead.

Much obliged, Joe

Admin

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2022, 06:01:40 pm »
Hi Joe

Your HEX-ID is not right, I just checked on GINFO and it should be
https://www.caa.co.uk/aircraft-register/g-info/search-g-info/

404C04

Thx
Lee

Joe M

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2022, 06:11:38 pm »
God dammit, you're right!

How did I miss that? (and how did it change - it's a shared aircraft, I will have to do some digging!)

Thank you Lee.

Sorry to have troubled you all with something so obvious, but I very much appreciate the support.

Regards, Joe

Admin

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2022, 09:05:28 am »
I think it is our fault
We are seeing the icao code occasionally reset on installing updates
Thx
Lee

Joe M

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2022, 07:58:19 pm »
Just to confirm, changed the Hex code back, flown 3 times, no bandit on my tail.

Seems to have sorted it. Thanks very much for the advice.

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2022, 10:27:50 pm »
Hi Joe,

Thanks for getting back to us. I’m glad I asked you for the screenshot of your Configure Screen, which clearly shows the incorrect Hex ID. As Lee has already reported, we have had a small number of reports of this happening during the recent round of updates and clear identification of this will help Lee get to the bottom of why this has occurred and hopefully fix the issue.

Best Regards

Peter