Author Topic: WiFi Module doesn't fit in Rosetta  (Read 1465 times)

Sean McDonald

WiFi Module doesn't fit in Rosetta
« on: June 23, 2022, 08:52:33 pm »
My iGrid connectivity module has arrived but I can't squeeze it in with the other bits in the USB ports the way my Rosetta is configured (by previous owner of aircraft).

Bottom right aerial
Bottom left I assume something to do with ABSB and transponder?
Top left GPS module
Top right is all that is left and if I force the WiFi module in I will stress the connection on the GPS module.

Have changed them around to different ports but seem to be faced with the same problem. A bit flummoxed as thought it would be easy!

Apologies for photo quality. Looks perfectly good on imgur....
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 08:54:04 pm by Sean McDonald »

Sean McDonald

Re: WiFi Module doesn't fit in Rosetta
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 08:55:25 pm »

Smaragd

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 09:01:42 pm »
Don't know if there is room for this on a Rosetta, but I have used one of these to avoid stressing the GPS on my classic PAW:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234024106911

Sean McDonald

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 10:14:07 pm »
Don't know if there is room for this on a Rosetta, but I have used one of these to avoid stressing the GPS on my classic PAW:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234024106911

Suspect not as the Rosetta is all 'boxed'. I had a Classic before which was easy to fiddle with when necessary

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 11:37:07 pm »
Hi Sean,

The cable in the lower left port is a USB to RS232 Serial Adapter - used to provide GPS data to your transponder in order to generate ADSB-Out. This port (USB Port 2) is the most practical for allowing the cable to exit the end cover of Rosetta and will have been specifically configured in the PAW Configure Screen to provide the GPS data at the correct Baud Rate to match the Transponder, so it has to stay in that port. In practical terms therefore, your alternatives are limited to: -

1). The cheapest option - put the GPS dongle outside the case on a short USB male to female extension cable (but keep it the right way up - i.e. with the ceramic antenna uppermost), or...

2). Replace the existing GPS with a GPS Mouse (which has a standard width plug) which will then allow the new WiFi module to fit into the top-right port.

Sorry, a bit of a compromise, but the only practical options to retain ADSB-Out from your Transponder via GPS feed from your Rosetta and add iGRID.

Best Regards

Peter

Sean McDonald

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 05:59:56 am »
Thanks Peter,

Suspected the solution would be an external gps module. I can't see any visible circuit on the very corner of the blue board that the ceramic antenna is sitting on. The merest little trim would probably be enough to enable the fit.

Might have a look at doing that if external gps modules are readily available in case I stuff it up!

Sean
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 06:02:50 am by Sean McDonald »

Sean McDonald

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 11:41:09 pm »
I use something like this when testing modules and it works well

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Black-Extension-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00S2N2Q4U/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2P9W9XESAPUFU&keywords=short+USB+extension+cable&qid=1656097707&sprefix=short+usb+extension+cable%2Caps%2C61&sr=8-3

Now I've seen that I'm sure I have one lurking around in a drawer somewhere. Nevertheless I've ordered a GPS mouse which should be here tomorrow so hopefully I'll get iGrid up and running