Author Topic: IGrid WiFi  (Read 3843 times)

peastlake

IGrid WiFi
« on: June 11, 2022, 11:35:21 am »
So my iGrid dongle turned up today, bought from the PilotAware store.

But I can’t get it to work, and have carefully followed the instructions on the card it was attached to.

Using an iPad mini 5 for the to receive from the Rosetta, and a iPhone 11 to provide the personal hotspot. All Wi-Fi & Bluetooth is turned off on the iPhone, with mobile data enabled and a 4G connection sitting.

Screenshots are attached of screens on paw.local

Is the dongle actually working, given that it says wlan1 = DOWN?

Dave jones

Re: IGrid WiFi
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 11:50:47 am »
Hi
I had the same problem this morning when my dongle turned up. What I did was disconnect my home router and then paired the iPhone Wi-Fi. I think my home Wi-Fi was so strong it was shadowing the phone hotspot. Don’t know if this will help or if it makes sense. Let me know how you get on
Dave

Admin

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 12:40:24 pm »
Hi paul
Wifi is working as you can see hotspots listed
On my iPhone I must be on the hotspot page for it to broadcast ssid to connect
Thx
Lee

peastlake

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 02:15:04 pm »
Thanks both.

I ended up resetting the “Network Settings” on the iPhone back to factory defaults, re-enabling Personal Hotspot - and it worked!

I’ll have to put all my WiFi passwords back in to my phone, but never mind!

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 08:06:50 pm »
Hi Paul,

Great to see you back on the Forum.

Well done on getting your iGRID Network sorted. The good news is that PAW should now recognise and remember your phone (especially if you enable the hotspot before starting PilotAware) and reconnect automatically each time.

I have been using the system for several months in testing and it is brilliant, automatically taking up the baton and supplying Ground Uplink data including Rainfall Radar if / when you go out of Ground Station range - as we can still do quite easily up here in the North.

Best Regards

Peter

Keithvinning

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 08:52:39 am »
As an aside all WiFi dongles supplied by Pilotaware are individually tested on an iPhone before dispatch.
It’s labour intensive but we do know the dongles work
Keith

grahambaker

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 02:03:54 pm »
... All Wi-Fi & Bluetooth is turned off on the iPhone ...

I suspect that was your problem. When you turn off wifi, it disables the hot-spot - it's a wifi hot-spot.

Deker

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2022, 04:42:43 pm »
... All Wi-Fi & Bluetooth is turned off on the iPhone ...

I suspect that was your problem. When you turn off wifi, it disables the hot-spot - it's a wifi hot-spot.

My old Huawei phone showed the WIFi disabled when I enable the hotspot, and visa versa, the Wifi is re-enabled when I disable the hotspot.

roweda

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 06:00:32 pm »
Will the extended settings on the Network screen only be visible when a compatible WiFi USB dongle is connected?

I have a couple of USB WiFi adapters but no menu is visible so I assume they are non compatible devices? Pilotaware Classic.

Is anybody able to confirm please?

Thanks

Dave

Dave jones

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2022, 06:18:45 pm »
The extended menu will only appear when you have a correct dongle ( a compatible one).
I tried a couple of dongles before I received mine from Pilotaware store and none of them  produced a menu. Hope this helps.

roweda

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2022, 06:24:13 pm »
Excellent. Thanks for confirming.

Dave

Young_C

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2022, 09:10:53 am »
Hi All,
Reading this thread it sounds like the new iGRID functionality will only be active when the wifi dongle / hotspot is active. My question is whether conversely the base functionality will continue to work normally without it?

I've just upgraded our group aircraft to 20220626 and ordered a wifi dongle. However one of our group is uncomfortable with relying on his mobile in flight and wanted assurance that the PilotAware system will continue to work normally without it, both now and in the future. Obviously the new functionality e.g. in flight rainfall radar would not be available but would certain traffic which was previously detectable now require iGRID for detection?

Please could you confirm this.

Thanks,
Chris Young

Admin

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2022, 11:08:22 am »
All of these features are additive, and not mutually exclusive
We have found that using data from multiple sources ensures maximum system redundancy
So adding iGRID, loses nothing
Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 02:07:46 pm by Admin »

JCurtis

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2022, 11:19:20 am »
All of these features are addictive, and not mutually exclusive
We have found that using data from multiple sources ensures maximum system redundancy
Thx
Lee

Or additive?
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Admin

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2022, 02:08:29 pm »
All of these features are addictive, and not mutually exclusive
Thx
Lee

Or additive?

Correct, or even both ????