Author Topic: Regulator board & ARF Board  (Read 61192 times)

Moffrestorer

Re: Regulator board & ARF Board
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2015, 02:20:30 pm »
OK, I see you'll list the separate SMA option on your website.

jamespratt

« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2015, 05:00:06 pm »
Hi,

A question for JCurtis - I just bought an ARF from Wirelessthings when I saw that you now offer the combination of ARF with shield and SMA soldered on.

Now I have had a look at the ARF, I am wondering if my soldering skills are up to the job!

Is it possible I could send you my ARF for you to add the shield and SMA and I pay the difference?

Thanks

Jim

JCurtis

« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2015, 05:05:24 pm »
Hi,

A question for JCurtis - I just bought an ARF from Wirelessthings when I saw that you now offer the combination of ARF with shield and SMA soldered on.

Now I have had a look at the ARF, I am wondering if my soldering skills are up to the job!

Is it possible I could send you my ARF for you to add the shield and SMA and I pay the difference?

Thanks

Jim

Probably can work something out, drop me an e-mail jeremy.curtis at harkwood.co.uk
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

JCurtis

« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2015, 05:38:31 pm »
As some have already seen I've opened up the on-line cart even though some items are on order to me.  I have enough items on order to cover all orders placed at the current time, with everything due to me by Tuesday 13th (most more PCBs as they take a week).

I have ordered enough to create a buffer stock from then onwards.

Please be aware for orders placed at the moment they won't be shipped until middle of next week.

I didn't realise just ho many units were being built out there...
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

rg

« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2015, 01:31:08 pm »
My hardware arrived today with arf and sma. ....very nice!

JCurtis

« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2015, 01:47:32 pm »
My hardware arrived today with arf and sma. ....very nice!

:)

N6010Y

« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2015, 02:41:49 pm »
Mine arrived today also - very nice indeed.  Swapped it into my unit (to replace the Slice of POD board) and it works a treat!

:) :)

GarethHorne

« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2015, 07:26:46 pm »
Mine arrived this afternoon - very nicely made, glad I didn't attempt to solder that together myself!

Still waiting on most of the other bits (ADS-B dongle, recommended WiFi dongle, case, micro SD card from the recommended suppliers, plus the GPS module on the slow boat from China) but wanted to give it a try so borrowed a WiFi dongle & SD card from a previous Pi project, plugged everything together, downloaded the installation image and gave it a go.

Installed PilotAwareAndroid on my Nexus 7 (2012) running KitKat 4.4.1, minor issues setting up Skydemon (needed to turn on data when flying, keyboard hides the Air Connect Key box making it difficult to be sure its accepted the 6000 imputed), ran through the first time boot sequence with the Pi... got a licence key nice and quick from Lee...

And it all works as it should! The Nexus tablet connects as it should, not seeing any traffic until my ADS-B dongle arrives but the unit is transmitting a nice strong 'blip' on my scanner every 2 seconds on 869.4, which reaches to at least the top of the garden   ;D

Very pleased so far, especially since its been a simple plug together operation, looking forward to getting it finished and taking it flying. 

scsirob

« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2015, 12:08:40 pm »
Hi Jeremy,

Looking at the pictures of the shield, it seems there's physical room to add another hardware function. How about adding space to put a u-Blox GPS module next to the ARF? The u-Blox NEO modules support USB, UART, I2C and SPI connectivity. The UART pins on the GPIO port are already taken, and I2C is probably used for the pressure sensor? I2C could be shared, or you could use SPI if the kernel supports it. Add another SMA connector and the whole thing is plug-and-play. Would that be possible?

Rob

JCurtis

« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2015, 02:01:09 pm »
Hi Jeremy,

Looking at the pictures of the shield, it seems there's physical room to add another hardware function. How about adding space to put a u-Blox GPS module next to the ARF? The u-Blox NEO modules support USB, UART, I2C and SPI connectivity. The UART pins on the GPIO port are already taken, and I2C is probably used for the pressure sensor? I2C could be shared, or you could use SPI if the kernel supports it. Add another SMA connector and the whole thing is plug-and-play. Would that be possible?

Rob

Technically anything is possible...
It isn't something I'd looked at but could do going forward, it would depend on Lee adding in the software to support it.   Interesting though I have a uBlox dev kit around here somewhere...

rollingcircle

« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2015, 03:03:32 pm »
As I was short delivered the 2x10 headers, next window for purchase will be tomorrow once the balance of them arrive - the ARF's will be here by then too.  Then it will be early next week when some more PCBs arrive.

Would it be possible to order a couple of the basic boards without the headers soldered to them? - I'd like to use the longer pin style of headers with a view to stacking an I2C GPS prototype HAT on top of the ARF regulator board.

JCurtis

« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2015, 03:20:58 pm »
As I was short delivered the 2x10 headers, next window for purchase will be tomorrow once the balance of them arrive - the ARF's will be here by then too.  Then it will be early next week when some more PCBs arrive.

Would it be possible to order a couple of the basic boards without the headers soldered to them? - I'd like to use the longer pin style of headers with a view to stacking an I2C GPS prototype HAT on top of the ARF regulator board.

Yes, in the additional notes bit in the shopping cart put that you don't want the 2x10 headers on.  Then as a backup when it sends you the confirmation send it to me to ensure I don't miss the note!  More boards are expected early next week.

I would not put anything between the ARF and Pi CPU - it's tight in there and warm with lots of RF plus it's hard to get the connector out.

Note do not add any pull up resistors for the I2C bus, the Pi has them already on board.

rollingcircle

« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2015, 04:27:20 pm »

Yes, in the additional notes bit in the shopping cart put that you don't want the 2x10 headers on.  Then as a backup when it sends you the confirmation send it to me to ensure I don't miss the note!  More boards are expected early next week.

I would not put anything between the ARF and Pi CPU - it's tight in there and warm with lots of RF plus it's hard to get the connector out.

Note do not add any pull up resistors for the I2C bus, the Pi has them already on board.

Thanks - will order now with the note.  The plan is to stack the I2C GPS HAT on top of the ARF board, hence putting the long-pin header on the ARF board.  Interesting point about cooling - once I have the boards set up will whip together a suitable 3D printed enclosure with additional venting both for a Pi with your board and also with the GPS board on top and post up the .py/.scad/.stl files.

JCurtis

« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2015, 04:44:53 pm »

Thanks - will order now with the note.  The plan is to stack the I2C GPS HAT on top of the ARF board, hence putting the long-pin header on the ARF board.  Interesting point about cooling - once I have the boards set up will whip together a suitable 3D printed enclosure with additional venting both for a Pi with your board and also with the GPS board on top and post up the .py/.scad/.stl files.

If you go...

My Shield
ARF
GPS

Then things are tight space wise and you will sandwich the GPS between the Pi CPU and ARF

If you mean...

GPS
My Shield
ARF

That would be better, but you need a taller case...

The 3.3v regulator I use is rated for 950ma constant with a max of 1.3A, so should be OK.

rollingcircle

« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2015, 05:19:11 pm »

If you go...

My Shield
ARF
GPS

Then things are tight space wise and you will sandwich the GPS between the Pi CPU and ARF

If you mean...

GPS
My Shield
ARF

That would be better, but you need a taller case...

The 3.3v regulator I use is rated for 950ma constant with a max of 1.3A, so should be OK.

Certainly the latter! - to give the GPS as clear a view of sky as possible if for no other reason.  Regarding enclosure, as per previous will be custom 3D printed.  Having all of the components fixed in a single enclosure preferable for the aerobatic brigade as the potential for bits falling out and getting jammed where they shouldn't.